Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 5293 times)

unicorngt1983

• View Profile
Deleted
« on: March 22, 2005, 04:02:10 AM »
Deleted

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: The sketchy law school process
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 04:45:24 AM »
Wait wait wait... you can use an LSAT score to qualify for Mensa?  Really?  What's the minimum score they take? 

I'm not sure if I'd actually join, but the idea that I might be able to is pretty sexy, in a pathetically nerdy way.
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 04:52:47 AM »
Wait wait wait... you can use an LSAT score to qualify for Mensa?  Really?  What's the minimum score they take? 

I'm not sure if I'd actually join, but the idea that I might be able to is pretty sexy, in a pathetically nerdy way.

163. And, yeah, super nerdy. :)
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 05:11:56 AM »

well what was your gpa and your lsat and what schools did you apply too and accepted/denied...you talk about all this stuff but you don't put it in any context..

i'm not calling you on your stuff, i'm just curious.

cool beans.
Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

underwhelm

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 05:12:39 AM »
I feel these alleged top law schools were really misleading.  They all claim to look at other "soft" factors.  I figured I have great extracurriculars and volunteer work, unique jobs and internships, graduate school, wonderful recommendations, and an almost perfect GPA from a pretty difficult and highly respected school.

Every applicant thinks their extracurriculars are "great," their jobs are "unique," and their recommendations are "wonderful." I suppose your personal statement was "strong," or maybe "excellent," and you, yourself, are somehow "prestigious," like all the fine people at XOXOHTH.

Which isn't to say you won't make a fine lawyer. Be all you can be. But you're in good company if you think you are singular among all applicants.

Eegahh

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ifnumber34@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 05:44:21 AM »

163. And, yeah, super nerdy. :)

I wonder if they sell a shirt that says "Mensans Do It Rarely".  I want one of those. :P
Deposit down: Case Western
Waitlist....Ugh: W&M, Hastings (IN!!!! Whooo!)

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 06:13:50 AM »
I feel these alleged top law schools were really misleading. They all claim to look at other "soft" factors. I figured I have great extracurriculars and volunteer work, unique jobs and internships, graduate school, wonderful recommendations, and an almost perfect GPA from a pretty difficult and highly respected school.

Every applicant thinks their extracurriculars are "great," their jobs are "unique," and their recommendations are "wonderful." I suppose your personal statement was "strong," or maybe "excellent," and you, yourself, are somehow "prestigious," like all the fine people at XOXOHTH.

Which isn't to say you won't make a fine lawyer. Be all you can be. But you're in good company if you think you are singular among all applicants.

whoa--a bit harsh there don't you think?  are you training to be simon's replacement on american idol?

:-*

Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 06:20:42 AM »
#1 - I agree about the numbers. Admissions is 99.99% numbers, as far as I can tell from my own experience and what I've heard from others (including LSN).
#2 - If I join Mensa I am going to steal Eegahh's idea and make that shirt.

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 08:58:59 AM »
The big picture:

Have you been accepted at any schools that you would be happy attending and spending 3 years at?  If so, then let the rest go and be happy that you have some choices.  Some of us are still waiting for our first acceptance to come in.  And I'm certain we all have great soft factors too!

Not trying to be harsh, just realistic!  Let go of the bitterness, you'll feel better!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 09:17:38 AM »
I feel these alleged top law schools were really misleading.  They all claim to look at other "soft" factors.  I figured I have great extracurriculars and volunteer work, unique jobs and internships, graduate school, wonderful recommendations, and an almost perfect GPA from a pretty difficult and highly respected school.

touche!

I absolutely agree.  We all think we're wonderful singular applicants.  We all think we deserve the best.  But you know what?  Despite all these soft factors, the ivies you applied to didn't think you were good enough.  The hard factors weren't there, and soft factors can only make up for so much.  So you didn't get in.

But with all these great soft factors, I'm sure you got into some other great schools.  Maybe not HYS or the other T14, but good schools nonetheless.

Maybe instead of *hoping* to get in (like all of us do), you started to *expect* to get in, which is a sure let down.