Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 5159 times)

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The sketchy law school process
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2005, 12:40:44 PM »
My bad

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2005, 12:42:24 PM »
>SleepyGuyYawn
How do you know LSAT qualifies people for MENSA?

Well, I've known it for a while -- don't remember how I found out.  But MENSA's website has information on it:

http://www.us.mensa.org/join_mensa/testscores.php3

According to them, you need a 163 to join MENSA.  To me it's questionable about whether a 163 would place you in the top 2 percent of IQs. But then, I also think you'd have to be a real d*ck to join MENSA.  Just my opinion, of course.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2005, 12:44:33 PM »
google is your friend.  :)

And there's been discussion on this before...you need to look at what the percentage of people who take the lsat is.  So, for example, 5% of the population at large takes the lsat.  Those who score a 163 is something like 90th %ile, or whatever.   So you're the top 10% of 5% of the population.  I'm thinking that, whatever the actual numbers are, that would put you into the top 2% of IQs, at least according to Mensa.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2005, 12:50:04 PM »
Well, perhaps it would make you close... if we knew the LSAT to be a predictor of IQ.  But then, I really question how a "racehorse" test can be a good predictor of overall intelligence.  

In any case, I still say that the main reason people join MENSA is to boost their own egos (or for the same reason people buy sports cars and have small feet  :D ).

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2005, 12:51:52 PM »
Mensa used to be cool.  Very elite, and very smart.  But in recent years, they've definitely had some problems.  Someone told me at one point they they got a new leader/president or something, and he's been trying to change the image of it.  But since we all think it's for tools that need an ego boost, I don't think it's working.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2005, 12:57:57 PM »
Well, I think one of the reasons they've had problems is that there's a growing acknowledgment of different types of intelligences.  And perhaps people are a little more aware these days that a high IQ hardly equals a high level of wisdom or happiness. 

It's interesting.  My dad's a psychologist who occasionally does intelligence testing.  But he does it for a good purpose -- for instance, to determine whether somebody qualifies as developmentally disabled -- and to see what services a person might need if they are.  He told me that a couple times a year he'll have people ask about being tested for MENSA and he always declines to test them.  He says there is rarely any sense to knowing your own IQ.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2005, 01:57:57 PM »
you should have applied to lower ranked schools in the top 20, maybe just applied to the top 15 and you probably would have squeked through somewhere.  - oh well, not much to do now.

jg983

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2005, 02:26:01 PM »
Whoa, a lot to respond to! Okay, first, MENSA is far from an elite society. It's a semi-elite society for douchebags who want to think they're elite. And I don't say "douchebags" because I think I'm smarter than they are, but because anyone willing to go through the application process for a pointless and non-functioning "genius society" must surely be a feminine hygiene product. Furthermore, if 5% of the population applies for law school, and it's not the top 5% of the population, then the top 10% of applicants are certainly not in the top 2% of the population. If people of above- and below-average intelligence apply with equal frequency, then the top 10% of applicants to law school would be in the top 10% of the general population. And I think it's pretty silly to assume lawyers are universally at the high end of the intelligence scale.

Soft factors do matter -- as a tie-breaker. I was around 25% to get into some of the schools I got into, according to chiasu. My numbers didn't get me in, but my numbers also didn't rule me out. If you're going to be admitted based on your soft factors, you still have to (generally speaking) fall into the wide range of "admittable" students. A 164 will not cut it at HYSCCN, no matter what. You would have been much better off applying to a couple of schools between American and NYU, where your soft factors could have given you a boost.

One more thing: If you don't believe that other people have soft factors that are just as impressive as yours, go onto lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the profiles of some of the people who will be attending Stanford, Chicago and Yale in the fall (three schools that notoriously emphasize soft factors). I thought I had killer soft factors before I started lurking over there.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2005, 01:42:47 PM »
so, who right?

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog