Law School Discussion

IU - Bloomington or UCLA? Your opinions are appreciated.

IU - Bloomington or UCLA? Your opinions are appreciated.
« on: March 21, 2005, 03:17:05 PM »
So IU Bloomington has offered me 1/3 tuition scholarship plus in-state tuition(have gotten scholarships to other schools, but not interested) and I got into UCLA.  Here's the dilemma:

My SO lives in Indiana, as do my family and some friends. He has a great job there and if I moved back there we could buy a kick-ass condo downtown this summer and I would be able to graduate with virtually no debt (The whole degree would cost me like $20k).  I could get a joint degree (Masters of Journalism or MBA) as well. I would most likely have to commute to Bloomington as I have no plans on living there and it's 45-60 minutes from the city.  Also got into IU Indy but so far no $$.  Have written requesting more money from IU to see what happens.

Also got into UCLA, which was a huge reach for me.  Part of me really wants to live there (warm weather, beautiful, exciting city) but I would be about $150K in debt at the end.  I am interested in entertainment law but I have no idea if that's what I really want to go into because I'm also interested in trial law and international law.  My SO would have to uproot his entire life, find a job and find friends if we move.  We would have to rent a small apartment and live hand-to-mouth.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?  I am so torn right now!  Thanks.

dubris

Re: IU - Bloomington or UCLA? Your opinions are appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 03:26:43 PM »
UCLA is a far better school. Is your SO willing to move? If not, then:
If you know you're going to get married, go to IU.
If you think you're going to get married, go to UCLA.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 06:03:07 PM »
He's willing to move if it came down to it, but I don't think he's jumping up and down at the prospect.  It would be a huge deal to do that, and I don't know how I feel about uprooting someone else's life right along with mine just so I can go to a more prestigious (and expensive) school.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 06:16:43 PM »
Take this for what it's worth...btw, I'm 22 and not too long out of college.  This combination probably means I'm more idealistic and naive than I'd like to admit.

Your SO is willing to uproot his life for you if he has to.  To me, this says that unless something dramatic were to happen, it's more than likely he'll propose to you one day.  Should you be spending the rest of your life together, you'll be starting it now, as opposed to three year from now, or five, or eight, or however long it takes to pay off the loans.  Your family is in Indiana.  The better quality of life is in Indiana.

Yes, UCLA is beautiful, and LA is LA after all.  But simply being a lawyer can't be one's only goal in life (I'm not saying it is for you).  Sometimes you give a little now (school prestige in this case) and to get a lot in the end.

AubZamZam

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 07:09:02 PM »
Where do you want to live ultimately?  If you are dead set on living in Indiana in the future, there's probably not too much point to going to UCLA.  However the fact that you're interested in entertainment law leads me to think you might at least be semi-interested in living elsewhere since there isn't much entertainment law in Indiana.   Just from what you've wrote here, it seems like you have a rather wide array of interests (trial, entertainment, international law, plus possible masters' in journalism, possible MBA).  Given the fact that going to Indiana will close off options for you as compared to UCLA, I'd recommend going with UCLA.  Again, UNLESS you know that you are ok with being in Indiana for the rest of your life and doing whatever is available there career-wise.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 08:29:03 PM »
Indiana has a top MBA program, but for everything else you listed, UCLA is the clear winner overall.  The SO will understand when it's 75 in the middle of December and you're sun bathing.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 09:23:44 PM »
I still can't get past the $150K in debt vs. virtually none.  I don't particularly mind Indiana (save for the occasional bout of boredom and lack of good shopping), especially since it would give me the option of easily coming back to Chicago after I am finished. 

AAGHHH!!! This is driving me insane.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 09:32:51 PM »
I still can't get past the $150K in debt vs. virtually none.  I don't particularly mind Indiana (save for the occasional bout of boredom and lack of good shopping), especially since it would give me the option of easily coming back to Chicago after I am finished. 

AAGHHH!!! This is driving me insane.

In the course of you 30+ year legal career you'll make over $13 million dollars collectively.  $150,000 versus $20,000 is negligible in the long run.  If you feel like having a UCLA JD will give a lot of self worth, then do it.

taterstol

• Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 11:02:04 PM »
It sounds to me like you're perfectly happy in Indiana and potentially chicago. I'd take the money and stay. Uprooting your life doesn't seem like it's going to do that much for you at this point. Indiana's a fine regional school and if you're happy in the area, you'll do fine coming out of it.

Yeah UCLA's good, but it has its own regional issues and is also much more expensive. If you can't see yourself (and your SO) making a permanent transition to the west coast, I'd stay put.

link0

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 07:17:45 AM »
have u considered vanderbuilt? they gave u considerable money as well and the COL is cheap. it is equal to ucla in rankings. in GTO's new study, vanderbuilt actually has a much higher national placement than its ranking would suggest.