Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Tricks  (Read 7351 times)

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law School Tricks
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 03:51:23 PM »
I also got a fee waiver from William and Mary.  My numbers aren't bad for them, but
I'm suspicious of any school that sends a fee waiver.  I didn't use any of my fee waivers
(I got six or seven of them), but I only applied to three schools.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 04:42:40 PM »
This numbers game darn is very disconcerting.  If I am using USNWR to judge schools on their academic quality and reputation, am I best off just looking at the reputation scores.  Do those even hold any weight?

Perhaps. 

Note that some schools consistently get higher rep ratings than schools ranked above them -- e.g., Chicago and Michigan both usually get higher rep ratings than NYU, and UVA is usally rated comparably to NYU.

Also, keep in mind that, over time, the rep ratings have moved closer to matching the USNEWS rankings. For example, it seems that, the longer NYU is ranked ahead of Chicago, UVA, Michigan, etc., the higher it's rep ranking. So, while the rep. rankings may be somewhat more reliable, they're also influenced by the overall USNEWS ranking.
179/3.97 (Top3)
Total payments to Yale, 1999-2008: >$250,000

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 11:00:21 PM »

Also, keep in mind that, over time, the rep ratings have moved closer to matching the USNEWS rankings. For example, it seems that, the longer NYU is ranked ahead of Chicago, UVA, Michigan, etc., the higher it's rep ranking. So, while the rep. rankings may be somewhat more reliable, they're also influenced by the overall USNEWS ranking.

This is true, however I don't believe that it has a connection to the USNEWS rankings directly, rather
that they both are influence by underlying facts (such as higher admission standards) which reflect
faster on the USNEWS rankings then they do for rankings.

This isn't to say that schools with higher admission standards necessarily turn out better lawyers.  In
fact I think there is much to say about the education quality of schools who have lower admission standards
then those consistantly ranked (reputation wise) around them.  It is one of the reasons I picked Michigan, it
says alot if a school can generally accept less "intelligent" students and perceptively turn out equally qualified
lawyers. 
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 02:34:59 PM »
This numbers game darn is very disconcerting.  If I am using USNWR to judge schools on their academic quality and reputation, am I best off just looking at the reputation scores.  Do those even hold any weight?

Perhaps. 

Note that some schools consistently get higher rep ratings than schools ranked above them -- e.g., Chicago and Michigan both usually get higher rep ratings than NYU, and UVA is usally rated comparably to NYU.

I.E. USNEWS rankings generate positive feedback.

Very true!
(163+172)/3.5

Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2005, 03:04:01 PM »
Got sent a fee waiver to Washington and Lee. Applied, went to visit. Was told by the Asst. Director of Admissions that I had a very strong app, that my letters of rec were awesome (she then criticized some others she had seen) and that they had a hard time enrolling people from my particular state. Seemed to really like me. I walked away feeling pretty good, although unsure if I wanted to spend 3 years in the middle of nowhere. Decision made when I got a REJECTION (not even a waitlist) 3 weeks later. Bah!

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 03:47:24 PM »
Got sent a fee waiver to Washington and Lee. Applied, went to visit. Was told by the Asst. Director of Admissions that I had a very strong app, that my letters of rec were awesome (she then criticized some others she had seen) and that they had a hard time enrolling people from my particular state. Seemed to really like me. I walked away feeling pretty good, although unsure if I wanted to spend 3 years in the middle of nowhere. Decision made when I got a REJECTION (not even a waitlist) 3 weeks later. Bah!

I had an interview at Pace with the D of A and she was extremely favorable toward me, and implied that even though my LSAT was low it didn't matter that much. At the end, she made a point of saying how she would highly recommend me, and then I was rejected. I didn't even get the obligatory WL letter. WTF???
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 10:43:50 PM »
Ok I have a good one.  First, I received a fee waiver for a school that my lsat and gpa are slightly above their average.  It was also my top chioce school for family reasons.  So I only applied to 6 schools thinking I would pretty much get into this school.  In addition, I was sent hand signed letters from this school from professors who share a similar background with me, and lots of other constant promotional material.

Then I got defered, and the WL.  So I interviewed with the Dean of Admissions.  He said I was "much more solid" than the other applicants on the WL based on numbers.  He was surprised I was waitlisted since I clearly would fit in well with the school.  He even named professors who I would be a "great research assistant" for because of my backgroumd.  He said he was not sure if WL spots would open, but if they did I would most likely be on of the first to get chosen.  So I obviously leave the interview feeling pretty good, and I felt like I made a good impression.

After this I have continuously watched other ppl get off the WL, some with much lower numbers than mine.  Despite my calls and letters I never made it in, and I am pretty bitter about the whole experience.

I felt very mislead... so sorry for the rant...but WL sucks.