Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new perspective  (Read 235 times)

vkschicago

• View Profile
new perspective
« on: March 21, 2005, 12:55:28 PM »
Recently, law school has become the issue that takes up most of my focus, as it appears to for many people on this board.  I have been disapointed that I have yet to be accepted anywhere, feeling as though I had hit a dead end.  I was convinced that if I didnt go to a top school I would be unlikely to "get ahead."

Sunday, however, I was given a reality check.

I work as a server.  Sunday morning an older couple came in for dinner and was seated in my section.  They had a very "interesting" appearance.  I instantly (shamefully) dreaded taking this table.  In the first five minutes of speaking with these people, however, I came to realize that this couple was illiterate.  As a solution I retrieved training photographs of our menu items from the kitchen (where they are used to train the non-english speaking staff).  They were, although uneducated, extremely grateful and extraordinarily polite. 

This experience was a reality check.  Throughout this process, I had become so focused on getting in to the best school possible and upon not being accepted anywhere had become disillusioned.  This experience made me realize that I had already had the opportunity to do something that many people have not, get a college degree at all.  This, hopefully, with help keep this whole process in perspective in the future (at least for me).

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
  • I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
Re: new perspective
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 12:58:44 PM »
What a nice post. 

I work full-time in an office and part-time as a cocktail waitress, but I find that it's the part-time restaurant work that keeps me grounded, and helps me to realize just how lucky I am to even be able to consider law school, much less to be accepted at some really great schools. 

Thanks for the reminder! :)

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: new perspective
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 01:03:04 PM »
ditto.  i've worked for years in restaurants (kitchen), and i've found a tremendous amount of perspective from the experience.  the world is a much larger place than ABA law schools.