Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone considering Brooklyn Law School?  (Read 3103 times)

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone considering Brooklyn Law School?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2005, 03:11:10 PM »
Yes i'm definately attending on Monday. Is anyone else going? I'll post when I get back (Tue night) to let people know how it was. I'm considering UH b/c I live in Houston, and I'm waiting to hear from SMU, Cardozo, and USD. Cardozo will most likely be a ding, but if I did get in I might go there over Brooklyn.

djladyjo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2005, 04:31:24 PM »
I'm flyign up from Miami to attend the Monday event for admitted students.. my best friend from undergrad is a 2L there.. so I may just go with her to classes and attend SOME but not all of Monday's events..

I'm not sure if i want to go there.. but it's between Brooklyn, American and Univ. of Miami right now.. no faves just yet..

Skippy25

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2005, 07:03:24 PM »
djladyjo, what does your friend who is a 2L there say about the school? Does she reccomend it to you?

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2005, 07:55:50 PM »
An update on the tuition deposit..i spoke to someone today...she asked for the reason..took my name and phone number and told me she'd have to get back to me.  Seems possibly promising...

djladyjo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2005, 08:00:12 PM »
my friend absolutely loves it there.. she wants to be a prosecutor and during her first summer she interned at the DA's office and is currently working there now..

I'm not so much interested in criminal law.. so that doesnt help *ME* much..

I'll find out more from her friends and stuff when I go.. there's some party on Saturday night or something.. hehe..

winslow757

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2005, 08:23:09 PM »
I just got back from NYC visiting Brooklyn, Cardozo, and NYLS. When I left on my trip, I had only been admitted to NYLS and wasn't all that excited about it, but right after visiting with Brooklyn I got home and found my acceptance email waiting for me. Which was nice.

I was very impressed with both Brooklyn and Cardozo. BLS's facilities are fantastic--the area is wonderful, Manhattan is really accessible, the housing options are terrific, and the building they use itself has a great feel--I got a nice sense of community while I was there. The classrooms, cafeteria, library, etc. are all top notch.

Cardozo's actual facilities are a little less impressive, but I enjoyed the class I sat in on far more than at Brooklyn. At both schools I attended a Property class--conveniently, both classes dealt with the same topic and cases. As I only sat in on one class at both places, I cannot attest as to whether the difference I encountered is attributable to just a random difference in sections or individual professors--but the class at Cardozo was far and away superior. The professor was excellent--very clear, excellent command of the material and ability to share it, knew everybody's name without looking at a seating chart, and wonderful to listen to. The class was eager to participate--no sense of dread in being called on. They were all very cooperative too--people were eager to work together in answering questions, building on one another's responses, not laughing if anyone was way off the mark.

Brooklyn however, the professor didn't seem to know what she was talking about without consulting her notes. Tripped up a lot and had to go back and correct herself. Students were not eager to participate--in fact, it was totally silent. Most students were reading blogs, checking their email, playing solitaire, etc. I had trouble paying attention as the teacher droned on and on with practically no interaction with the students in class.

I'm still quite interested in Brooklyn--especially as they've accepted me and I haven't heard a decision yet from Cardozo. I just got home and found all my acceptance materials waiting for me--BLS gave me $17,500, which is hard to turn down. All in all I was impressed with both of them, but I may need to go back and learn more before I really make up my mind.
Accepted: Brooklyn w/17.5K, Suffolk, NYLS w/ 20K
Pending: Northeastern, Cardozo, American
Rejected: GW, Fordham (no surprise there)

158+164/3.74

Skippy25

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 10:29:54 AM »
Groovyju, what did you say the reason was and did she seem to think it was an acceptable reason? Let us know what the final answer is!

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 02:27:32 PM »
I told her the reason was that i'm student teachign right now and I can't get out there to visit until my school's spring break.  She asked me if i had a specififc date and I told her april 8th, cuz i already booked my ticket and everything.  She didn't really comment on my reason, jsut took down my info and said she'd have to get back to me.

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2005, 11:42:16 AM »
ill post my thoughts about cardozo.  my biggest concern right now is whether its conservative or not.  i have been told that it is.  and i have been told that brooklyn is not.  (if anyone has info about this please let me know)
about scholarships email the dean i heard received an email back the same day asking me to fax over merit letters.  that was a few weeks ago and im sure that they are much busier now. 
question..if i'm sending that letter about possibly getting schoalrships..who should i address it to? i was thinking that i'd email the admissions office and the financial aid office..but should the letter be addressed to henry haverstick (the director of admissions and finacial aid)?  If not, then who?

Groovyju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 11:46:05 AM »
*&^%...i just accidentally sent it.  I had put "Dear Mr. Haverstick III and other parties this letter concerns,". i didn't even put  a subject...hope its ok