Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: nd, bc, wustl, vandy, gw  (Read 1129 times)

karita624

• View Profile
nd, bc, wustl, vandy, gw
« on: March 21, 2005, 10:11:56 AM »
Anybody else facing similar decisions?

Where is everyone leaning? 

Any advice for me?  I loved WUSTL, and they gave me a small scholarship (8k/ yr).  Vandy has a good enviornmental law program, but I heard it is snobby (I do not do well with snobs)-- I didn't visit, though (but I have been to Nashville, and I like the city).  I really liked BC, it seems uncompetitive and I am from Boston.  ND is close to Chicago, which is where my BF is (who I love and will remain in a relationship with regardless of where I matriculate).  I am leaning FAR away from GW, but people on this board seem to love it. 

I want to hear opinions from everyone else (for your own decision, and mine if you feel like it).

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: nd, bc, wustl, vandy, gw
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 10:36:26 AM »

A lot of us are in the same position. I am probably going to BC primarily because I want to work in the Boston market. I love GW and I think it is a great school, but becuase I don;t really want to practice in DC, I am going to have to lean away. I never gave WUSTL much thought becuase it is in an area that I would never want to live. ND is awesome, but being so far from the eastern sea board led me to stray. Basicly, you get my drift. I want to go to school where I want to practice. I figure, because all of these schools are so closely matched, I am going to pick the school that has the best connections to the city I want to hit up in the future.

XelaWho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 06:06:16 PM »
Iīm stuck between WUSTL, GW, ND, and Vandy (and USC but that seems off the discussion topic)

WUSTL offered me a nice scholarship (70K total) and ND too (30K total), but I worry that I need to go to Vandy or GW for national employability.  I might just be letting the rankings control me too much, but I donīt know what to do.

I want to work in the NE.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 09:18:31 PM »
I would argue that because of its huge base of super-loyal alumni Notre Dame is the most "national" school on that list.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:58:26 PM »
I would argue that because of its huge base of super-loyal alumni Notre Dame is the most "national" school on that list.

I should think Vanderbilt would be the most national school on that list.

FWIW, I suspect the whole "snob" reputation the school has is a product of the undergraduate college rather than the law school.

I would argue (dont really have anything to base this on) that Vandy probebally has more in terms of "I went to a random law school and I think Vandy is really good" but I feel like ND alums are spread out across the country and VERY likly to offer a job. 

Again, nothing to base this on, just a feeling.

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 12:11:09 AM »
As of next monday i will not be in the predciament anymore.. off to ND

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 12:29:44 AM »
While it's true that Notre Dame's alumni base may be a little more spread out (lower precentage stays in-state, higher percentages in Pacific, New England, and Mid-Atlantic regions), in terms of firm placement, Vandy wins.  The Ciolli study on big-firm (Vault 100 or comparable) placement has Vandy 12th nationally, ahead of Duke, Cornell, and Georgetown.  Notre Dame is 20th, trailing those three as well as Texas, Bu, BC, and GW.  The difference in score between the two was the same as the difference between Notre Dame and Ohio State.  The study measured both the average quality (rank) of the firms and the depth of placemnt (how deep into the class top firms were willing to go).  It seems that these results would be more important considerations than merely the distribution of alumni nationally, unless you were hoping to go to a particular region and you want to assure familarity with your school.

Wow thats really interesting!  I stand corrected.  Do you have a link or a citation where I can get a copy of all of that?  I would be curious to see the results.

the town drunk

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 01:57:55 PM »
Vanderbilt for prestige, Notre Dame for weekends with the BF.  You have to prioritize that part.

ladylazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 02:04:15 PM »
I'm in a somewhat similar position, looks like I'm deciding between BU, GW, and Vandy.  I'm probably leaning towards GW - even though Vandy seems like a fantastic school, I don't think I can spend another three years in the south.

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 02:20:03 PM »
I'm in this group too, but it's coming down to USC and ND for me though I think (I didn't ap to Vandy).  I like a lot of what USC has to offer... but I'd like to work in DC.  Logically, I should probably go to GW, but I really don't like their very practice-focused approach to law (I'm definitely looking for an interdisciplinary and theoretical focus) so I'm pretty sure that's out. 
Can I go to USC and still work over on the other coast?  I'm really done with conservative mid-western colleges after spending undergrad at one... and I'm also sick of freezing to death :)... but I'll go to ND if it's the best option. 
i like complicated :)