Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should Terri Schiavo:

Be allowed to live.
Be allowed to die.

Author Topic: Ok (you knew it was coming) The Terri Schiavo Poll - Live or Die  (Read 6423 times)

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
Re: Ok (you knew it was coming) The Terri Schiavo Poll - Live or Die
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2005, 02:00:37 PM »
The death row prisoners in Texas would've lived if Bush did not fry them...

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2005, 03:29:22 PM »
I think the big difference I'm seeing here is the "killing her" argument vs. the "right to die" argument. Those that say she should be fed say that she is "being killed," and those that say pull out the tube say "let her die."

I don't know that there's any getting over this--either you believe the husband or you don't. I personally don't know anyone who would want to be in a vegetative state for 15 years, religious or not. But I'm familiar with a parents' love, so I can see how this has become so protracted. And hey, maybe Terri wanted this.

I think it's interesting that our little poll in here pretty much mimics those taken by-and-large as well! Little microcosm, we are. This is one of those cases where your heart ends up arguing with your brain, ad infinitum.

I don't think the federal courts are gonna let this one fly.

~Dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

Dano

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2005, 03:51:43 PM »
The law should simply state that unless someone submits a sworn, written statement regarding their desire to be killed when terminally ill, all reasonable efforts must be made to keep that person alive.  It avoids all the bickering, trial expense, and trauma that the Schiavo's and the husband are going through.

I can't agree with this at all. If something like this happened to me before I put my wishes in writing, I would hope my sister would have fought, like Terry's husband, to let me die...despite what my mother or other sisters would say. Even when I marry, my sister will remain head of my estate, just for the sake of peace. I don't want some "in love" man trying to keep me alive.

Better get that in writing or ...

As far as her "starving to death"...she doesn't feel anything..she doesn't think anything. It would be a totally biological response and she wouldn't know anything about it. Better to let her lay in bed another 15 years having reflex actions and not even knowing she exists? That's not life!

Are you absolutely sure that she won't suffer?  Are you absolutely certain that all hope is lost?

Dano

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2005, 03:54:23 PM »
Dano, how old are you?  How many 20 something year olds do you know who have a written will?

I would wager that the vast majority of young people do not create living wills.  Why would Terri Schiavo have thought to do so?

Then said 20 year olds will be subject to the whims of others.  Ignorance is no excuse.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2005, 03:57:26 PM »
Are you absolutely certain that all hope is lost?

As her husband pointe dout on Larry King Live, yes.  You can't grow a new brain.  Seeing how her cerebrum is now mostly spinal fluid, I don't know how much any new "therapies" will help her.  Her parents and the experts they've brought forth have failed to adequately explain how medical science will be able to help her in the future, other than merely keeping her body alive.

Dano

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2005, 04:07:17 PM »
Are you absolutely certain that all hope is lost?

As her husband pointe dout on Larry King Live, yes.  You can't grow a new brain.  Seeing how her cerebrum is now mostly spinal fluid, I don't know how much any new "therapies" will help her.  Her parents and the experts they've brought forth have failed to adequately explain how medical science will be able to help her in the future, other than merely keeping her body alive.

There could be tissue generation research that could lead to development of new cells.  I know she has slim odds, but there is always a chance.  How can one speculate about future discoveries anyway?  They are in the future and implicitly unknown.

The husband is no expert and his attorney (as I mentioned earlier) sounded like they were shopping for opinions that were favorable to their side. 

The whole argument is illogical:  she can not feel anything if we starve her, but she is suffering if we keep her alive.  Huh???  That is the argument that I hear over and over again and it makes no sense.  Either she is suffering or she is not suffering or no one knows if she is suffering (the most likely case).

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2005, 04:09:40 PM »
I don't know about Terri Schiavo, Dano, but I'm sure suffering.  :P
Attending: Fordham

Dano

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2005, 04:17:43 PM »

MansRunt, sorry to hear that, but this is about terminally ill people.  Is that your situation?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2005, 04:23:32 PM »
The independent court appointed medical examiner agreed with the experts provided by the husband.

And the parents have also "shopped" around for doctors who agree.

And the White House's stance on stem cell research will likely prevent the necessary research that would give Terri a chance at any tissue regeneration within her lifetime.  Which is why Bush's stance on this is completely hypocritical, not only because of his position on the death penalty, but due to his position on stem cell research.

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2005, 04:39:58 PM »

MansRunt, sorry to hear that, but this is about terminally ill people.  Is that your situation?

Would it make you feel better if it was?
Attending: Fordham