Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Should Terri Schiavo:

Be allowed to live.
Be allowed to die.

Author Topic: Ok (you knew it was coming) The Terri Schiavo Poll - Live or Die  (Read 6218 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Ok (you knew it was coming) The Terri Schiavo Poll - Live or Die
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2005, 10:05:32 AM »
15 years ago, Michael Shiavo was the most important person in Terri's life.  He is her husband.  He still is her husband.

How many people lose their parents when they're 20?  30?  40?  And you want your parents to be in charge of your care?  They should be in charge of your care if they come down with alzheimers?  If they suffer from dementia, they should make decisions about your health?  That's not the way our society works.

And while you may be cynical about marriage, it is a statement, an intention to be together for the rest of your life.  Many say the words but don't mean them.  Does that mean that those people who are married and truly believe that should be penalized for others' disregard for the condition?  No, because no matter what other's habits and beliefs out divorce, marriage, until separation papers are signed, is a life long commitment.

Michael Shiavo gets nothing for doing this.  He gets no money, he doesn't *save* money, since he's not paying for her care.  The money from her malpractice suit pays for it.  He doesn't have to do anything.  Yet he still cares about this woman, who was his wife, who he cared for, and he believes this isn't her wish.  He heard her say it, as did many others.

IrishGuyJay

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2005, 10:25:21 AM »

Is she cogent or not?  If she isn't cogent, how can it be about her anymore?  You can't have it both ways.

I heard the husband say on an interview this morning after the interviewer mentioned Terry's family (referring to her parents) and the husband curtly stated, "I am her family!".  No, her parents are her family as well.

When she was cogent, she expressed to people (not only her husband) that she would not want to be kept alive in a state like this.  You said, since she isn't cognitively suffering, why not just "indulge" her parents?  Because it's selfish of them to think that this is about their wishes over hers.  Perhaps the law should require a written statement, but that's hindsight.  It's too late.

Both her parents and Michael Schiavo, her husband, are her family.  You may feel cynical about marriage, but others feel cynical about their parent-child relationship.  It's all situational.  Not everyone is as close with their parents as you might be.  A lot of marriages end in divorce, but the fact of the matter is, her's didn't.

rohan

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2005, 10:37:02 AM »
Agreed Jacy..

and when Bush got on TV and said something like "we should err on the side of life" I didn't know if I should be angry or if to just burst out laughing. 

My heart goes out to her entire family though, cause it's really a complicated family matter.

Dano

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2005, 10:40:52 AM »
Agreed Jacy..

and when Bush got on TV and said something like "we should err on the side of life" I didn't know if I should be angry or if to just burst out laughing. 

My heart goes out to her entire family though, cause it's really a complicated family matter.

The husband does not consider the parents to be part of the family.  That may be part of the problem.

I think the statement from Bush that you quoted is absolutely correct.  What's wrong with erring on the side of life?  Should we err on the side of death?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2005, 10:47:47 AM »
Maybe he's still a little upset that they accused him of abuse by producing a bone scan in court that showed bone trauma.  Bone trauma that's entirely consistant with CPR and people that have suffered for some time with bulemia.

If I was dealing with this, and trying to follow my spouse's wished, I'd be a little upset if their parents wrongfully accused me of abuse too.

Dano

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2005, 10:49:42 AM »
15 years ago, Michael Shiavo was the most important person in Terri's life.  He is her husband.  He still is her husband.

How many people lose their parents when they're 20?  30?  40?  And you want your parents to be in charge of your care?  They should be in charge of your care if they come down with alzheimers?  If they suffer from dementia, they should make decisions about your health?  That's not the way our society works.

Red Herring

And while you may be cynical about marriage, it is a statement, an intention to be together for the rest of your life.  Many say the words but don't mean them.  Does that mean that those people who are married and truly believe that should be penalized for others' disregard for the condition?  No, because no matter what other's habits and beliefs out divorce, marriage, until separation papers are signed, is a life long commitment.

Michael Shiavo gets nothing for doing this.  He gets no money, he doesn't *save* money, since he's not paying for her care.  The money from her malpractice suit pays for it.  He doesn't have to do anything.  Yet he still cares about this woman, who was his wife, who he cared for, and he believes this isn't her wish.  He heard her say it, as did many others.

And he could care less about the parents or their concerns.  What is in it for them?  I am sorry, but hearing someone SAY something is not enough to kill someone.  If it was important to her, she should have gotten it in writing.  If it is not in writing, it should not be allowed.

Marriage is fleeting for the majority of people.  Face it.  I know you love your boyfriend now and all.  You think he is the best person in the world, etc.  Things might change, but your parents will always be your parents.  Once you have children (if you don't already), you might understand the bond created between loving parents and their children.  If you don't want your parents or anyone else deciding your fate, place it in writing.  Otherwise, keep them alive.

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2005, 10:51:49 AM »
I wonder how all the people Bush put to death as governor of Texas (especially the one whose plea for clemency he mocked) & all the people his war has killed feel about his "err on the side of life" comment?

Nothing.  They're dead.

Dano

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2005, 10:53:14 AM »
I wonder how all the people Bush put to death as governor of Texas (especially the one whose plea for clemency he mocked) & all the people his war has killed feel about his "err on the side of life" comment?

Nothing.  They're dead.

Good point.  He didn't follow his philosophy in those decisions  :o

rohan

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »
Agreed Jacy..

The husband does not consider the parents to be part of the family.  That may be part of the problem.

I think the statement from Bush that you quoted is absolutely correct.  What's wrong with erring on the side of life?  Should we err on the side of death?

Actually absolutely nothing is wrong with erring on the side of life..It's just that Bush has erred on the side of death in such a big way in other issues (e.g war, death penalty), that it was almost laughable to me...Let's not get into this though, I dont' want to detract from the issue presented in this thread.

edit: Prospect, we were thinking of exactly the same thing.

IrishGuyJay

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2005, 10:59:31 AM »

Nothing.  They're dead.

Good point.  He didn't follow his philosophy in those decisions  :o

He didn't follow it when he signed the Futile Care law as TX Governor that allowed that 5-month-old child to be taken off life support against his parents' wishes last week, either.  Media coverage really changes everything  ::)