Law School Discussion

Florida Coastal & St. Thomas University (Miami) & Franklin Pierce & Albany

daisyb

• View Profile
Re: Florida Coastal & St. Thomas University (Miami)
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2005, 05:09:51 AM »
I'm going to call Nova this morning and hopefully get an appointment.  My trip is so fast that I may not get to do an actual tour of St Thomas, but I just want to get a feel for the campus (and I met some reps at an open house already, but I have nothing to go on with Nova).  I'll definitely let you know what I think, and maybe take some pics.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 07:50:06 AM »
Bumping for additional questions.

daisyb

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 08:08:24 AM »
I scheduled appointments with both Nova and St Thomas.  I also got a call from a student at STU who offered me opinions and personal experience.  Anyone else get a call?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 08:22:34 AM »
I scheduled appointments with both Nova and St Thomas.  I also got a call from a student at STU who offered me opinions and personal experience.  Anyone else get a call?

I scheduled my appointment with the appointment guy yesterday. No student callas, though. What did the student tell you?

daisyb

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 09:14:54 AM »
The student told me about the environment there--not as cut-throat as other schools, that the staff and faculty know everyone. I asked about the bar rate, and this student particularly feels that it's an individual thing--it's up to us to prepare for three years, and then prepare ourselves with bar prep courses, study guides, etc in order to pass.  His answer wasn't bad, but I'm interested in what the school has to say.  In terms of classmates, he said that the school divides 1Ls into three sections, and a lot of times 10-15 people will go out for a drink or whatever to relax, and that people are supportive of each other.  He even said that profs go out sometimes to hang out as well.  He hadn't participated in the clinical program, but has a part time job with a firm right now.  I asked him how difficult it was to get into the clinical program and specifically the one I'm interested in, and he said it's getting easier because they've been adding more and more programs, but he didn't directly answer the question.  He also mentioned that he's noticed vast improvements since Dean Butterworth started there two years ago.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005, 09:24:30 AM »
Is the Dean related to this woman?

daisyb

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 09:33:55 AM »
I'm guessing no, but too bad because breakfast would ROCK at STU!!

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 06:25:04 PM »
LOL!  That is hilarious! 
If STU had a free pancake breakfast daily...that would be pretty tough to pass up! 

LaneSwerver

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 06:27:46 PM »
LOL!  That is hilarious! 
If STU had a free pancake breakfast daily...that would be pretty tough to pass up! 

I'll bring it up when I go...I'll tell them it'll be the deal-sealer for a lot of people.

daisyb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 11:28:31 AM »
Has St Thomas given you guys any money?  Nothing for me, but I'm also not expecting any with my stats.