Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)  (Read 7078 times)

: (

• View Profile
Re: Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2005, 10:33:02 AM »
Stuvxyz - Absolutely right.  One of my best friends is at U Chicago and recently turned down a $90K/year offer in Miami (his hometown) for a $120K/year offer in Chicago, only to find out afterwards that they are basically the same when adjusted for cost of living.

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2005, 10:40:22 AM »
Ya, but cost of living aside. Comon, I cant be making 80K when my buddies who went to Hastings, SC, LA and Loyola are making 130 to start. That's just silly. And honestly, its probably expensive anywhere you live in NY, but in LA, you have ranges of places to live from the westside where a 2 bedroom is 1500 to 2500 on average to places in the OC or the Valley that would be less than 1500 a month. So i doubt that living in boonsville West Virginia making 5 figures would be the same as living in LA making almost double, even if roadkill and housing is cheaper there.
I will miss LA :-(

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2005, 12:37:49 PM »
Notice my qualification of "Some pliaces in LA & San Fran."

The reason why I qualified it is because those places where you can live "cheaply" are a 2.5 hour one-way commute from the law firms, downtown, that pay $130k.

I personally feel that a 13 hour workday plus a 5 hour commute is vomit-worthy.

Ya, but cost of living aside. Comon, I cant be making 80K when my buddies who went to Hastings, SC, LA and Loyola are making 130 to start. That's just silly. And honestly, its probably expensive anywhere you live in NY, but in LA, you have ranges of places to live from the westside where a 2 bedroom is 1500 to 2500 on average to places in the OC or the Valley that would be less than 1500 a month. So i doubt that living in boonsville West Virginia making 5 figures would be the same as living in LA making almost double, even if roadkill and housing is cheaper there.

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2005, 04:28:29 PM »

The reason why I qualified it is because those places where you can live "cheaply" are a 2.5 hour one-way commute from the law firms, downtown, that pay $130k.

I'm not exactly sure where you're getting that info.  You can find reasonably priced housing within less than a one hour commute if you work in LA.  I worked in downtown LA for a year and was able to find a pretty nice place without breaking the bank.  The extra price you pay to live in California is definitely worth the lifestyle/weather.  If 80K in West Virginia is comparable to 125K in Southern California, take the 125K and live 5minutes from the beach. 8)

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2005, 07:05:43 PM »

I'm not exactly sure where you're getting that info. You can find reasonably priced housing within less than a one hour commute if you work in LA. I worked in downtown LA for a year and was able to find a pretty nice place without breaking the bank. The extra price you pay to live in California is definitely worth the lifestyle/weather. If 80K in West Virginia is comparable to 125K in Southern California, take the 125K and live 5minutes from the beach. 8)

I agree with kg. Stuvxyz, you may be joking around saying that its a 2.5 hour commute to live somewhere cheap in LA and get paid well. But if you are serious, you are mistaken. During rush hour i can get from San Diego to the Valley in that time, which is like 110 miles. and if you are driving 110 miles to work, then you have other issues to worry about.  :P Like i said in my previous post, it would be 'expensive' to live in a high rise or a house on the westside, but somewhere in the OC, the valley, or even the south bay have a fair price tag on them. And these places are nice, mostly affluent, areas 30 minutes to an hour commute anywhere in LA.

Also, with the 'big law' places that pay well. The majority of big law offices are not in downtown. While many do have downtown offices, many more have offices in Century City, Irvine, Costa Mesa etc. You may not be from LA, i don't know, so you may be confused...but unlike many other big cities in the US, ie NYC. Los Angeles is not really a 'central' metropolis. Its more of a suburban blob with commerical districts scattered throughout. Hence why we all have cars and there is no public transport.
I will miss LA :-(

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2005, 01:01:11 PM »
allrite- visited W&L again on friday and I will be going there in the fall!  maybe i will see some of you there

Everyman

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2005, 04:33:13 PM »

:D  Just kidding.  65% chance I'm at W&L next year, too.

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2005, 05:15:21 PM »
whoah nice pic

onudelma

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2005, 10:50:59 PM »
I was very impressed with this past weekend's open house, and now it's decision time. For me, the bottom line is this: W&L is by far the best choice for me when it comes to actual academics and getting the legal education I want; career-wise, it may or may not be great, but I'm almost willing to accept the challenge that finding a Philly/NJ job will be hard after graduation; socially, it pretty much sucks. It's too small, and the social life seems to revolve too much around driking. And it's too hard to get away. The one good thing is that most students seem equally unhappy with Lexington, and try to make the best of it.

Just a few days left. I will spend them getting as much advice from alums and legal people as I can.
W&L '09

ilsox7

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2005, 11:13:15 PM »
I was very impressed with this past weekend's open house, and now it's decision time. For me, the bottom line is this: W&L is by far the best choice for me when it comes to actual academics and getting the legal education I want; career-wise, it may or may not be great, but I'm almost willing to accept the challenge that finding a Philly/NJ job will be hard after graduation; socially, it pretty much sucks. It's too small, and the social life seems to revolve too much around driking. And it's too hard to get away. The one good thing is that most students seem equally unhappy with Lexington, and try to make the best of it.

Just a few days left. I will spend them getting as much advice from alums and legal people as I can.

It sounds like you'd be miserable there (that's the gist I get from your post).  Why spend 3 years in misery?