Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)  (Read 6834 times)

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2005, 07:25:59 PM »
Wow, you guys are making me feel worse about getting rejected. :)
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2005, 07:59:39 PM »
Ha ha. You know what I meant. At any law school you go to, your employment prospects won't be great if you just slack off and end up low in the class rank.

I was saying that Wash&Lee may not have the same pull as USC or UCLA, but if he's in the top 20% of the class I would think he'd be fine in California. I didn't mean to imply it will be easy to be in the top 20%, but I would think that would be enough.

Andrea

Yeah, but I like to drink and goof off too much to be top percents.  :P

Andie, i will go out with you if you end up going. I only require you to be short, hot, rich, sweet, cultured, tanned, and not have a third leg.

I may look over the third leg thing depending on how hot the third leg is.

As far as you thinking it is a double standard...too bad! Hah. This is pay back for those times freshman and sophomore year when girls would upperclass guys, but it seemed shady for us guys to go back to date high school girls. Long live the double standard!
I will miss LA :-(

Andie203

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2005, 08:05:26 PM »
I never thought it was shady for freshmen/soph guys to date high school girls.  I had a college boyfriend my senior year of high school and I know a lot of other girls who did as well.  I think the double standard for older girls/younger guys is much worse than older guys/younger girls.  I hooked up with a younger guy once and I am still being called Mrs. Robinson by my friends.  :D

I'm sorry, we can't date.  I do not meet all your requirements.  I am tall and not tan because I am fairhaired and do not tan very well.

And I fully intend to drink and goof off sometimes and still maintain a pretty good rank.  It can be done.  You can be my Thursday night karoake buddy!

Andrea
Attending:  NOTRE DAME
Accepted: IOWA, go Hawks (full tuition), Vanderbilt (10K), Wash & Lee (20K), Notre Dame (22.5K/yr)
Rejected: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Harvard  (Their loss)
Waitlisted: GULC (preferred), Penn, Cornell

Everyman

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2005, 09:45:11 PM »
I cracked up when i heard a current 1L tell my roommate at the Mirage Saturday night "you need to come here cause the guys are tools".

Are you serious?  lol, I didn't hear it.

ronin, their number one state was cali for incoming students (or so they said).  i'd imagine that even if W&L wasn't pulling huge numbers of placements there, that if the recent grads perform well, they'd be very receptive to more grads.

Anyway, the numbers are a bit of a concern to me, but I think it's like the Michigan syndrome, where people self-select to a lot of lower paying markets, like the Birmingham example.  I'd imagine top 25 to 50 percent should be okay.

bobo21

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2005, 10:14:23 PM »
Also, can anyone help me from a CA perspective. Cause i plan on coming back here to work. They kept saying how this guy Klinedinst can hook you up easy with a job. But the guy has a starting salary of 80K! Here in LA, thats less than out of work homeless beggars make. I made almost that much working just out of college!!!

Will i be able to compete against SC and UCLA kids for the standard 125K jobs out here.

I think they have some people at Baker McKenzie, Gordon & Rees, Bird Marella, Irell & Manella, Gray Cary and some others.  Overall alums seem to do OK in California.  I'd go at the drop of a hat (but then again it was my biggest reach, and I thought I was special beacause I got a fee waiver....oops.)

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2005, 03:19:37 PM »
I cracked up when i heard a current 1L tell my roommate at the Mirage Saturday night "you need to come here cause the guys are tools".

Are you serious? lol, I didn't hear it.

ronin, their number one state was cali for incoming students (or so they said). i'd imagine that even if W&L wasn't pulling huge numbers of placements there, that if the recent grads perform well, they'd be very receptive to more grads.

Anyway, the numbers are a bit of a concern to me, but I think it's like the Michigan syndrome, where people self-select to a lot of lower paying markets, like the Birmingham example. I'd imagine top 25 to 50 percent should be okay.

Hah you drunk f*ck! I bet you also don't remember when the hick in the trucker hat came over to the table and asked you out for the enormous chick he was sitting with. That was classic.
I will miss LA :-(

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2005, 03:28:50 PM »
Also, can anyone help me from a CA perspective. Cause i plan on coming back here to work. They kept saying how this guy Klinedinst can hook you up easy with a job. But the guy has a starting salary of 80K! Here in LA, thats less than out of work homeless beggars make. I made almost that much working just out of college!!!

Will i be able to compete against SC and UCLA kids for the standard 125K jobs out here.

Well, I am also from CA and am a little concerned with the options available if I wanted to come back.  When I met with director of Admissions and brought up my concerns, the only thing she really told me was that there was an attorney in San Diego who only hired W&L grads.  Not too reassuring.  Also, I have many close family friends who are partners in major firms in SoCal, and they don't know much about W&L.  When I asked them to compare W&L to schools like BC and BU, I have heard numerous times that you would have a much better chance finding something in CA than with a degree from W&L. Although I love W&L, I am wondering if it would be a better career move to go somewhere a little more well known nationally. I like having options. Any thoughts  ???

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2005, 03:45:21 PM »
Based on the statistics I've seen, I wouldn't consider W&L if your primary objective is to practice in California. 

I think most people who end up over there or on the west coast start out at a DC/Boston/NYC/Atlanta firm and move laterally between their firm's offices or make a lateral jump between firms. 

Go to Hastings, Davis, or even Loyola if you want to be in CA.

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2005, 03:46:17 PM »
thast kind of my worry too- except philly area instead of cal (i want to stay in the northeast after school)

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2005, 04:12:16 PM »
thast kind of my worry too- except philly area instead of cal (i want to stay in the northeast after school)

If you want to stay in the NE, I'd definitely go to either BC or GW.  Those are two great schools and both degrees offer a lot of opportunities in the NE.