Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)  (Read 6964 times)

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2005, 11:09:01 AM »
That is quite an interesting background, indeed.  That's one reason I liked the W&L students I met--I hung out with people who ranged from middle school teachers to Chemists for enormous pharmeceudical companies.  They seem to stress geographic and "background" diversity quite a bit, maybe putting "skin color" diversity on the wayside in the process.
Don't take offense to this comment, but given your numbers, W&L is a GREAT admit, and given the scholarship, I don't see how you can go wrong.

None taken.  I did bring some interesting life experience to the table, including nationally published historical research, and I also teach writing courses at a private school.  Since W&L is a writing school, and their Law & History Center does a lot of work in ancient/medieval legal history, they accepted me within a month of applying. 

The Top 10s were all obvious reaches, though I have a very strong faculty connection at Cornell that I'm hoping will help, but if not, I am already very happy about W&L.  Looking forward to the visit.

Plus, unless you reverse that Utah withdrawl, you may not get into any of your other options :/

I would rather die.  I'm actually in Utah right now on business, and this place sucks.  I applied with the intention of mountainbiking my sorrows away when I wasn't corrupting beautiful Mormon girls (who, incidentally, are the state's best-kept secret).

Josh173

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2005, 11:14:26 AM »
All,

As a graduate of W&L Law, let me provide some thoughts on your visit. 

First, I think most of the comments were right on the mark.  There are tools at W&L and there are great people as well.  The downside of being a small school, is that one tool can screw up the bar passage rate and/or employment rates for everyone.  EG, there was a guy in my class who would not have received an offer if he'd gone to Yale.  He was just a dork.  He also failed the bar.  Even though W&L had nothing to do with these facts, it sure showed up on our bar passage rate and employment rates.

I lived in the Wood's Creek apartments my first year.  They are utilitarian chic.  They are great for early morning classes because you can roll out of bed and get there on time.  You can also walk into town and stumble home, not worrying about getting a DWI.  But, you NEVER escape school.  That's why most people move off campus after the first year.

The other comment I wanted to make was regarding how everything was first rate.  Get used to it.  That part of the W&L experience never ceased to amaze me.  The parties that the school throws are amazing and the level of detail in everything the administration does is great.  I loved it.

Good luck!

Josh 

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2005, 02:11:42 PM »
hey josh-
what do you think about W&L's employment prospects?  i was kind of wondering why their employed at graduation number (75%) is so low next to comparable schools as well as why their avg starting salary in the private sector is so low next to comparable schools

stuvxyz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2005, 02:17:14 PM »
"So low"?  It's listed as a $100,000 median in USNEWS.  I'm sure that other schools listed at $125k/yr or $110k/yr in USNEWS are more around W&L's actual $88k/yr, too. 

When only 80% of the people are reporting their salaries, you can only assume the remaining 20% are making embarrassing salaries they don't want to report.

I emailed a Vice President at my company today (Fortune 100) who graduated from W&L law school and he wrote back "I LOVED W&L law school.  I am travelling right now, I'll call you when I'm back in town."

There was another VP who graduated from Notre Dame law, and he effectively blew me off.  That's just one specific encounter that may show the W&L difference.

When I was at the admitted students weekend, a girl going into to the public sector said that almost all public law jobs won't hire you unless you've already passed the bar (after graduating from law school) because they aren't going to gamble on hiring someone who may fail.  This accounts for some of that "hired at graduation" discrepency. 

For schools in the range 19 - 30 on USNEWS, the average percent employed at Graduation in 2002 (a really bad hiring year) was 80%--so W&L isn't some sort of anomaly.

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2005, 02:29:28 PM »
that girl at the student board thing was wrong i think- i asked her that question and it seemed reasonable----then i checked out the numbers- W&L lists 2% into public, 30% judicial which is fine---their public sector jobs were the same % as GW yet GW had about 92% employed at graduation---so something is amiss here tho i dont know what it is---also W&L reports 88k as the avg for the more recent year which seems weird to me---plus most of the other schools in that 20-30 range had hihg 80's for employed at graudation

i believe the alums are awsome bu ti would like to know if its possible to get a good job w/o alum help

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2005, 06:00:58 PM »
W&L negative.
One thing that crakced me up the whole weekend was how people there talked up how close these big 'cities' were to Lex, ie Roanoke etc. "San Francisco and New York are big cities...Roanoke is NOT a big city PEOPLE", is all i wanted to say each time someone brought it up. I now know that i will NEED a car if i end up going. Those weekenders to Washington for sushi and Burberry are sounding better and better. Who's down to split gas money!

W&L positive.
I cracked up when i heard a current 1L tell my roommate at the Mirage Saturday night "you need to come here cause the guys are tools". That was the exact impression i got! It seemed like a handful of the dudes there were tight, while a lot of them were feminine hygiene product bags. Which means even a 4'3 190lbs acne faced stud like me can get some sweet southern ass.
I will miss LA :-(

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2005, 06:04:08 PM »
Also, can anyone help me from a CA perspective. Cause i plan on coming back here to work. They kept saying how this guy Klinedinst can hook you up easy with a job. But the guy has a starting salary of 80K! Here in LA, thats less than out of work homeless beggars make. I made almost that much working just out of college!!!

Will i be able to compete against SC and UCLA kids for the standard 125K jobs out here.
I will miss LA :-(

Andie203

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2005, 06:05:42 PM »
Yeah, I did notice when I was looking thru the facebooks for classes of 2006 and 2007 that the dating pool in law school might be kind of thin.  Especially if you assume that a lot of people already have SOs and spouses.

And then of course there's the awesome double standard of how guys in law school can date the UGs but it would be weird if a girl did.

As a single girl, this is a small concern of mine.

Andrea

PS: Ronin, I also noticed in the facebook that a lot of W&L law sudents were from Cal, so they don't seem to have a problem getting Cal kids to go there.  I would guess if you finish near the top of the class, you should be fine.
Attending:  NOTRE DAME
Accepted: IOWA, go Hawks (full tuition), Vanderbilt (10K), Wash & Lee (20K), Notre Dame (22.5K/yr)
Rejected: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Harvard  (Their loss)
Waitlisted: GULC (preferred), Penn, Cornell

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2005, 06:54:22 PM »
PS: Ronin, I would guess if you finish near the top of the class, you should be fine.

Yeah Ronin, that's all you have to do.

Andie203

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 167 GPA 3.71
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2005, 07:21:58 PM »
Ha ha.  You know what I meant.  At any law school you go to, your employment prospects won't be great if you just slack off and end up low in the class rank.

I was saying that Wash&Lee may not have the same pull as USC or UCLA, but if he's in the top 20% of the class I would think he'd be fine in California.  I didn't mean to imply it will be easy to be in the top 20%, but I would think that would be enough.

Andrea
Attending:  NOTRE DAME
Accepted: IOWA, go Hawks (full tuition), Vanderbilt (10K), Wash & Lee (20K), Notre Dame (22.5K/yr)
Rejected: Duke, Michigan, Yale, Harvard  (Their loss)
Waitlisted: GULC (preferred), Penn, Cornell