Law School Discussion

Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)

dubris

Re: Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 02:36:03 PM »
(4) I was disappointed by the lack of diversity, though it was to be expected.  Though I didn't see any lifted pickups with rebel flags flying from them or anything, it was different from where I'm from and when to school.  My g/f (black) has concerns about racism, and if/when my she moves down to meet me there, I could see there being some tension.

Did you pick up a copy of the law school's newspaper? There was a pretty harsh article about W&L from a 3L who's a black woman. although I spoke to a few 1Ls at dinner who were also black, and from diverse (major) cities, and they had no problem with Lexington. kinda wierd.

Everyman

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 02:40:21 PM »
I wasn't able to get a copy of it.

In all honesty, I hope they drop the AA bomb hard for scholarships and admissions.

How could one broaden their horizons in a place like that?  I know I can, being from Detroit and going to school in the midwest.  I don't know too many rich people or southerners.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 02:44:48 PM »
you talking about that black sheep article??? if so it def seems like she is implying something but i dont see any rascist undertones in it at all

dubris

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 03:00:51 PM »
you talking about that black sheep article??? if so it def seems like she is implying something but i dont see any rascist undertones in it at all

it was the article about how the class of '05 had an ususally large black enrollment (for W&L), and some kind of problem with the BLSA bulletin board. i don't have the paper on me, but it was one of the few articles with a serious tone.

TheMick

• stop callin' me radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 03:03:17 PM »
Those that got more info on their efforts to get an IP program going, could you please elaborate?  I'm a small town southern boy and I loved Lexington, but being interested in IP, the place seems like it isn't my best choice.

I wish I had been able to get up there for the weekend.  My finacee tells me I'm expected to be at all wedding showers that are for us, go figure.

dubris

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 03:10:49 PM »
Those that got more info on their efforts to get an IP program going, could you please elaborate?  I'm a small town southern boy and I loved Lexington, but being interested in IP, the place seems like it isn't my best choice.

I wish I had been able to get up there for the weekend.  My finacee tells me I'm expected to be at all wedding showers that are for us, go figure.

They're obviously not as established as GW and GMU in the field, so if you're dead set on IP, then its not the place to be. But if you have an open mind about all fields, its worth investigating. Since they're trying to strengthen their presence, you could probably parlay a tech background into some $$$. You should e-mail the prof I posted about earlier in the thread. I'm sure she can answer any questions you had.

Ace

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2005, 04:11:06 PM »
Everyone else pretty much covered what I'm going to say, but I thought the whole open house event was extremely well done.  Even though I had previously looked up a lot of info about W&L before going down to Lexington, I still felt like I gained an incredible amount of knowledge about the school from the event.  I would highly encourage anyone who didn't go last weekend to go to the one in April.

I also want to emphasize how important I think it was, at least for me, that the students I met at the party later that night said how they really liked the school.  The fact that students who weren't part of the open house said that they really liked W&L is a pretty big deal.  I know that if a prospective student went to a party at my undergrad, they wouldn't hear such a favorable attitude from the current students.

Everyman

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2005, 04:15:34 PM »
So, were you at the yellow house with the red shutters?  With the leftover green beer?

Just curious.

Ace

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2005, 05:02:11 PM »
I was at the apartment where the living room caved in from a previous party.  I probably met you if that's the one you were at.  Did you go to The Palms and The Mirage afterwards?

Ace

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2005, 05:03:11 PM »
Sorry i meant to say living room floor.  Not the whole living room.