Law School Discussion

Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)

Re: Washington & Lee Admit Day (3/19)
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 11:46:38 AM »
Good points stuvxyz. I think your theory about the 2Ls is probably correct. What is your opinion of the school after the visit?

Edit: nevermind, saw your post in the other thread.

Your avatar is hilarious Dubrex.

What were your favorite parts of the weekend and W&L?

Here were a few of mine:

-I was paired with a hotel roommate I REALLY got along with, we hit it off immediately and I think will both attend, which is icing on the cake. 

-I thought Lexington was idyllic; as long as I have the Super Wal Mart for general things and groceries, and a city of over 100,000 less than 40 minutes away, I'll be fine for semester-long stints at W&L (don't forget you get nearly a month for Xmas, and probably won't be in Lexington during the summer--all added together this is nearly 9 months away from Lexington during the three years).

-They didn't skimp on ANYTHING.  Usually you can tell the overall quality of anything in the "little stuff."  Hop in a Mercedes, Saab, BMW, or Lexus sometime.  It's not the name of the vehicle, but the fact that your ass is being heated on a cold December morning, the pedals electronically adjust to your height, and you have the current temperature and the direction you're traveling posted in the rearview mirror.  I didn't notice a SINGLE thing that W&L half-assed this weekend and didn't plan meticulously.  I suppose I can qualify that a little bit with the panel of current students, but as you noted, it's always nice to see a few faults so that not everything seems suspiciously hunky dory.

-I went out with the prospectives/1L's and when our figurative hair was let down, they were the same  I met that morning at the stuffy luncheon.  Nobody put on a facade to impress administration or self-aggrandize--they were simply themselves, good and bad.

A few general comments:
-The school has a legacy I haven't seen anywhere else outside the top 14 other than Notre Dame & Vandy.  Dozens of its graduates have argued before the Supere Court, half a dozen have been ABA presidents, presidentendial candidates, and head corporate counsel for world class companies (General Motors' VP & Head Legal Counsel for 2 Decades was a W&L grad, and at my Fortune 50 company we have a VP who is a W&L grad) not to mention a Supreme Court Justice.

-The school schedules activities for the students quite often, and funds them, to boot.

(and the things I posted in the other thread)

dubris

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 12:03:46 PM »
What were your favorite parts of the weekend and W&L?

- Anything involving the faculty. I'm not sure if you were at my table, but I sat with  Prof. Wiant (http://law.wlu.edu/faculty/profiles/wiant.asp) I talked to her for maybe 40 minutes about IP law. She was great to talk to, as were all the professors. The mock class was probably my favorite part of the day. Low student-to-faculty ratios mean nothing if all the profs are boring pricks. The faculty is justifiably W&L's biggest selling point.

- The dinner was really nice. Really good food, plus I enjoyed speaking with the students, so much so that I looked up after about 2 hours of talking and saw that all the other tables were empty (I think you guys went to that party. We got left behind :( )

- The football "stadium." There's a pop-warner field near my apartment in Texas that seats more people.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 12:14:18 PM »
Yeah, I was sitting at your table at the luncheon, but I came in late.  I was talking to the Blonde lady next to Prof. Wiant. I asked Wiant a question or two, but I couldn't really hear her. 

After the dinner a group of prospectives and a few 1L's walked over to this 1L's house and they had a bunch of undergrad girls who were liquoring up on their way to the fancy ball, or whatever that thing was.  The quality of the girls ranged from land beasts to (one or two) 10 out of 10's.  Though everyone I talked to at the party was very cool and interesting.  There was a prospective who seemed a little bit bitter / introspective (perhaps a computer science major?) but overall it was a good time.

I did, however, feel a little bit like some of the prospective student interaction turned into a pissing contest of undergraduate school prestige and scholarship amounts. 

dubris

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 12:22:08 PM »
I did, however, feel a little bit like some of the prospective student interaction turned into a pissing contest of undergraduate school prestige and scholarship amounts. 

Hahaha. I noticed this too. I thought it might be an East-Coast thing, since there was nothing like that at the other schools I visited (in the midwest and west coast.) I'd never  heard the term "public-ivy" until this past Saturday.

btw, were you the guy that made the "superman" joke? I really wasn't offended, i was just joking.

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 12:25:28 PM »
the only thing i thin i wouldve liked to see abit better was the law body as a whole- i mean we saw a lot of people but are they representative of the student body or simply the best to put out for an open house?  Either of you two visisted the school on a diff day?

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 12:35:44 PM »
No superman joke here.  Must have been someone else.

Hahaha. I noticed this too. I thought it might be an East-Coast thing, since there was nothing like that at the other schools I visited (in the midwest and west coast.) I'd never  heard the term "public-ivy" until this past Saturday.

btw, were you the guy that made the "superman" joke? I really wasn't offended, i was just joking.

dubris

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 12:48:18 PM »
the only thing i thin i wouldve liked to see abit better was the law body as a whole- i mean we saw a lot of people but are they representative of the student body or simply the best to put out for an open house?  Either of you two visisted the school on a diff day?

There was an old thread about W&L, asking if it was anyone's first choice. Someone posted about her visit on a normal day. Also, ask Skeletor on xoxo about W&L.

jimmyp

• 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 01:08:19 PM »

I was there and didn't see this at all.  Like, maybe one girl asked me about a scholarship and people asked if I was considering UVA because I went there UG, but I didn't see anyone unzipping and breaking out rulers.  Who were you guys hanging out with?

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 01:10:07 PM »
i agree with the prospectives part there- everyone i saw (with teh exception of a few people who i think everyone noticed) seemed very friendly and more concerned with the people and environment of the school then with pure numbers, scholarship or otherwise

Everyman

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 02:26:13 PM »
Here's what I got out of the weekend:

(1) Just about everyone of the prospectives I met was really easy to get along with and laid back.  I was fortunate to miss out on a lot of the numbers/school drama, I guess my group was cool.

(2) The current seemed too worried about commenting on people and their fashions.  Maybe it was because the table had more females than males?  Perhaps she thought that might be a way to connect.  It seemed a little stuck-up to me, but I don't think she herself was.  She was nice.

(3) I like the way the current students were open about saying the school might not be for me, depending on the circumstances, rather than just pimping the school like crazy.

(4) I was disappointed by the lack of diversity, though it was to be expected.  Though I didn't see any lifted pickups with rebel flags flying from them or anything, it was different from where I'm from and when to school.  My g/f (black) has concerns about racism, and if/when my she moves down to meet me there, I could see there being some tension.

(5) Are you into going out to blow off steam, even if only a night or two a week?  I was disappointed in the bar scene.  One typical college bar (the Palms) and one "club" that looked like a poor renovation of a run down titty bar.  Bonus points for the giant NASCAR mural, though.

(6) I loved Lexington and the surrounding area.  If I go, I'm gonna try and get a motorcycle to ride around the mountains.  Being former enlisted, I liked VMI, I wonder if at times it's not like being on a base.  Walmart > PX/BX, for sure.

(7) The profs seemed great.  The clinics seemed okay, the only ones that interested me a lot was the AUSA or US helper or clerkships.

(8) I like that the law building was separated from the main campus.  I don't think that I'd be best friends with a lot of the undergrads (to say it nicely), so this aspect was nice.  It doesn't sound like there's much commingling of the two student bodies.

(9) I have concerns that it might turn out to be very clique-ish.

Those are my thoughts.  Being from a poor family and not trusting loans or credit that much, I want to go to the best combination of school + money.  W&L is very attractive to me for this reason, as cost of living is super low.