Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Moving to a different state-When should the apartment hunting begin?  (Read 548 times)

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I was thinking once I finally decide where to go. I should prolly start looking at apartments around June?? or early July?? Does anyone have any experience with this?? Should I be looking sooner? Seems rather difficult since wheverer i end up, its gonna be quite a ways from home. How is everyone else handling this??

any info or advice is welcome. thanks  ;D
HUSL 1L

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to a different state-When should the apartment hunting begin?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 01:01:35 PM »
I'd say it depends on the community where you will be living. I went to Davis as an undergrad and I know there (and I'd imagine this is true in a lot of college towns) people were lining up their apartments for fall in about March or April. There will still be apts available in June or July, but the pickings will be a lot slimer. If you will be living in a more metropolitan area where apartment openings aren't so cyclical, then I'd imagine waiting until June or July is just fine.
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 03:18:35 PM »
i'm going to get the search started the second i decide where i'm going.  even if it's just internet browsing, i don't think you can start too soon :)
post-3L

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 05:23:54 PM »
Make sense to me! thanks!  :)
HUSL 1L

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »
i've been doing a little browsing @ forrent.com.  you can specify your price range, # of bedrooms, the amentities you want, etc. and it will give you some results.  some even have special internet discounts and whatever.
post-3L

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 11:58:53 PM »
ok cool thanks. :)

So I guess you have to pay intially up front for everything right? since your fin aid package wouldnt have arrived yet. When they ask who your employer is, do you just explain the whole situation of how you're a student and you'll have loans to cover the rent or what? that sounds kinda complicated.
HUSL 1L

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 12:09:50 AM »
I imagine that if you explain your situation (going to law school, will have funding for the year), you will be fine. Def start looking for housing by the time you decide where you are going. If not for a specific apartment, at least get an idea of the housing market.

If your law school is an a college area, then looking early is very important; My experiences at UCLA for example, people began looking for housing early in the Winter term (Feb-March).
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Stacers117

• AOL Instant Messenger - Stacers117
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 07:55:08 PM »
I've been really excited to get an apartment and move somewhere new, so I've been doing the online research thing for months now. When it comes down to it, I am probably going to wait til I send my second deposit and then take a road trip to my school and stay a couple nights, look at a bunch of places, and pick one! I plan to wait til the second deposit to see if any wait lists with better financial aid should happen to arise. If they take longer than that, then they are just out of luck :P Plus, I want to get a pet-friendly apartment and get a puppy to keep me company at law school, so that makes me want to have an apartment even sooner so I can start the puppy hunt!!!  ;D

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 12:46:19 AM »
that sounds like an excellent plan! :)
HUSL 1L