towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
PENN!!
« on: March 20, 2005, 11:21:57 AM »
I love it.  Admitted students weekend was great.  And the calculator/clock has got to be the most delightfully geeky promotional item I've ever received.

Anyone else have thoughts?  I've pretty much made up my mind.  Now I just have to find a place to live, a roommate, move across the country...

And of course, there is the matter of signing over my soul to pay for it (that probably still won't cover it).  The financial aid presentation, for their very best efforts, was wholly depressing.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Re: PENN!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 11:26:02 AM »
And of course, there is the matter of signing over my soul to pay for it (that probably still won't cover it).  The financial aid presentation, for their very best efforts, was wholly depressing.

What was so depressing about it?  I expect to hear the same thing at Northwestern in a couple weeks.

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 11:42:37 AM »
Well, I'd already figured this out, but for me, there was something about having someone else hand me a piece of paper letting me know that 1/6 of my salary (if I'm making the median starting) is committed for the next ten years (and that's if my debt is $88,000--mine will be much, much higher).  It's very sobering, and not a little panic-attack inducing (even though I had already come to this realization on my own).  Then I started thinking about mortgages, kids, all those other future expenditures... it was a low-point.  But, as my father says, I guess I'll just have to a) make a lot of money and b) marry rich.  :)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 12:06:47 PM »
there was something about having someone else hand me a piece of paper letting me know that 1/6 of my salary (if I'm making the median starting) is committed for the next ten years

Only 1/6?  My estimates assume $160,000 in debt and 1/4 of my income committed to student loans.  In that case I should have them paid off in 7-8 years.

But, as my father says, I guess I'll just have to a) make a lot of money and b) marry rich.  :)

Option B) has always been my plan too.

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 12:39:27 PM »
My boyfriend and I are planning on getting married in '08 (he finishes med school and I finish law school), so I'm not sure the 1/4 of income to loans is feasible for me.  He's gonna BE a doctor, but he definitely doesn't have a trust fund.  :)  But yeah, I'm definitely planning on getting those suckers paid off as soon as I possibly can.  :)

Charlie_Murphy

• What did the five fingers say to the face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 04:29:43 PM »
I love it.  Admitted students weekend was great.  And the calculator/clock has got to be the most delightfully geeky promotional item I've ever received.

Anyone else have thoughts?  I've pretty much made up my mind.  Now I just have to find a place to live, a roommate, move across the country...

I absolutely loved PENN's admitted student day.  I can't wait to start there in the fall.  The made the place seem as if it were Law School Utopia.  It's perfect.   ;)
Attending PENN

The Truth

• Sr. Citizen
  • Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 04:40:10 PM »
The visit at Penn was great. It was my second visit (I went to a Fridays at Penn event) and it is definitely making a good impression on me. The cross-study options at renowned schools are interesting as well, but the school holds up even without them. I still have to visit Columbia at month's end, maybe go by NYU again, and fully consider Duke, not to mention I havent heard from HLS yet, but at the moment Penn is definitely running strong. providing what seems like a nice fit for my situation and giving the others a run for their money, now if they just give me some of that money, LOL!
The One, The Only, The Truth...
Attending: PENN$$$
W/D after Acc.(had next, LOL): NYU$$$,CLS$,CHI$$,GTown$$$,Duke$$,TX$$,NU(loans),Cornell?
WL'ed & then W/D: HLS(after hold), SLS
Rej: NONE
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing but The Truth
Don't Hate Me, Because You Ain't Me (J/K, LOL)

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 07:25:09 PM »
The visit at Penn was great. It was my second visit (I went to a Fridays at Penn event) and it is definitely making a good impression on me. The cross-study options at renowned schools are interesting as well, but the school holds up even without them. I still have to visit Columbia at month's end, maybe go by NYU again, and fully consider Duke, not to mention I havent heard from HLS yet, but at the moment Penn is definitely running strong. providing what seems like a nice fit for my situation and giving the others a run for their money, now if they just give me some of that money, LOL!

Oh, so you're one of THOSE.   ;D  You've got some great choices (and probably, by extension, some great shots for $).  :)  But, I'll still hope to see you in the fall.  This board could use some more Penn trolls.  :) 

I absolutely loved PENN's admitted student day. I can't wait to start there in the fall. The made the place seem as if it were Law School Utopia. It's perfect. ;)

I'm glad that someone else thinks so!  :)

Swearengen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 11:53:24 PM »
Hi.  I missed the admitted students weekend, but I did get a nice note from PEnn financial aid telling me to go F myself in terms of financial aid. 

What did they have to say during the financial aid portion of the event?  Did they at least give the impression that a PEnn legal education would be more than sufficent to obtain a job with a high enough salary to pay off the loans? 

Did they talk at all about the loan repayment assistance program?

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 12:14:15 AM »
What did they have to say during the financial aid portion of the event?  Did they at least give the impression that a PEnn legal education would be more than sufficent to obtain a job with a high enough salary to pay off the loans? 

They did, of course, give this impression. Talked a bit about the specifics for Stafford loans, etc.  Major merit award offers have gone out (Levy, etc.), but the minor "Dean's Scholarships" are still being reviewed; those come from admissions, not financial aid.  There might still be hope.

They didn't go into too many specifics on loan repayment plans for PI that I can recall (this isn't a big factor for me).  But they did invite people to e-mail/call with questions (and they seem to really mean it).