Law School Discussion

PENN!!

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: PENN!!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 10:30:34 PM »
at the fin aid session i went to, the fin aid director did talk about loan repayment assistance.  basically, as you can imagine it depends on your income.  he couldn't recall hard numbers off the top of his head, but he metioned that 100% assistance started at around 35K and then gradually decreased from there.  i don't remember him mentioning the salary at which assistance stopped.  one great thing about Penn's program is that it's available up to 10 years after you graduate.  so, for instance, if you work in the private sector for a couple years after graduation, and then decide to do public interest work, you can avail yourself of Penn's loan repayment program.  i'm not sure how this matches up with programs at other schools, but it seems to be a pretty cool feature.

as to your question about a Penn education being sufficient for obtaining a high paying job: it was one of the things people talked about repeatedly during the weekend.  median salary is 125K, and there are tons of recruiters who seek out Penn students.  seems to me that Penn compares well with other T14 schools in this regard. 

towanda03

• And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 11:06:49 PM »
as to your question about a Penn education being sufficient for obtaining a high paying job: it was one of the things people talked about repeatedly during the weekend. median salary is 125K, and there are tons of recruiters who seek out Penn students. seems to me that Penn compares well with other T14 schools in this regard.

I agree whole-heartedly on this point.  I like that they don't let employers pre-screen and that they use a lottery system for OCI.  Makes me feel like I'll have chances at great opportunities even if I'm not a superstar (which, after meeting my future classmates, I think is doubtful). 

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 08:33:28 AM »
Thanks.  I think I will have to end up calling them and asking them financial aid questions.  Was Dean Meeker nice?

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 08:42:25 AM »
<<Major merit award offers have gone out (Levy, etc.), but the minor "Dean's Scholarships" are still being reviewed; those come from admissions, not financial aid.  There might still be hope.>>

Can you please clarify? Are you saying that you heard at this meeting that ALL Levy offers have already been made, and that no more of these offers will be made? Thank you

InVinoVeritas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 08:43:40 AM »
dean meeker was awesome.  very personable and pretty straight forward with answers to any questions i had.  for fin aid, you should call the director of fin aid, anthony (can't remember his last name right now); his contact info is on the website somewhere.  he's also a very cool guy who seemed eager to answer fin aid related q's.

towanda03

• And so it goes...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 09:57:02 AM »
<<Major merit award offers have gone out (Levy, etc.), but the minor "Dean's Scholarships" are still being reviewed; those come from admissions, not financial aid.  There might still be hope.>>

Can you please clarify? Are you saying that you heard at this meeting that ALL Levy offers have already been made, and that no more of these offers will be made? Thank you

Well, there's no way that I will qualify, so this is sort of a moot point for me... but now that I think about it, he didn't explicitly say that no more Levy offers would be made.  They have, however, named some recipients and alternates.  But, since they are still admitting and have admitted some people lately, I would assume that some applicants might still have a shot.  In that case, good luck to you. 

InVinoVeritas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 10:04:19 AM »
i don't think they're done offerring Levy's.  as i understand the system, they offer the scholarship to a group of students early in the year, and as students decline the scholarship, those scholarships then get offerred to another group of prospectives.  i think this process continues until all levys for the year are given out.  from xoxo, i recall a poster saying he was offerred the levy sometime in april last year.  based on that info, maybe there will still be levys left to offer in the coming weeks.

towanda03

• And so it goes...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 10:10:46 AM »
InVinoVeritas--do you think that you're going to go?

InVinoVeritas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 10:19:16 AM »

i'm more likely to go than i was a week ago.  penn really did a bang up job with the admit weekend, and nearly everyone i met, i liked.  the real question now is $$$.  after such a great weekend, it was slightly disappointing to come back home to a letter from Penn that gave me nothing in terms of financial aid.  at the same time, UCLA came through in a big way with $52K over three years.  I also ended up getting $45K over three years from USC.  Money isn't going to be the only factor I'll end up considering, but it matters a lot, especially since my partner will likely end up relocating with me, and if he doesn't get a job right away, it'll be even more difficult to absorb all of the moving and law school start up expenses.

in any case, i got a great gut feeling from the visit, and i truly see myself enjoying law school if i were to go to Penn.  philly, particularly the area immediately around penn, has changed quite a bit since i was there about 10 years ago to visit for ugrad.  back then, west philly was basically a dump.  now, it's amazing.  the area feels very safe, and the conveniences abound.

what about you?  are you pretty set on penn?

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 10:38:03 AM »
I feel like I'm in the same boat as you In Vino, I'm so far looking between Penn and UCLA/USC.  Haven't heard from fin aid at either of those last two yet though.  Money nonwithstanding, what do you like better about Penn than the LA schools (aside from the Ivy name, the higher ranking, and the prestige)?

What are your thoughts on USC vs. UCLA?

i'm more likely to go than i was a week ago.  penn really did a bang up job with the admit weekend, and nearly everyone i met, i liked.  the real question now is $$$.  after such a great weekend, it was slightly disappointing to come back home to a letter from Penn that gave me nothing in terms of financial aid.  at the same time, UCLA came through in a big way with $52K over three years.  I also ended up getting $45K over three years from USC.  Money isn't going to be the only factor I'll end up considering, but it matters a lot, especially since my partner will likely end up relocating with me, and if he doesn't get a job right away, it'll be even more difficult to absorb all of the moving and law school start up expenses.

in any case, i got a great gut feeling from the visit, and i truly see myself enjoying law school if i were to go to Penn.  philly, particularly the area immediately around penn, has changed quite a bit since i was there about 10 years ago to visit for ugrad.  back then, west philly was basically a dump.  now, it's amazing.  the area feels very safe, and the conveniences abound.

what about you?  are you pretty set on penn?