Law School Discussion

$1550 down the drain!

htrus

• View Profile
Re: $1550 down the drain!
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2005, 05:24:56 PM »
I use a Dell Latitude D600 at my current job. I have had it for about six months, and it is great so far, no issues.

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2005, 08:09:57 PM »
Heyy! Congrats!

Make sure to name it something cool.

Hahaha!  Only chicks do that.  No heterosexual man names his computer :)

But my friends Tori and Lisa had a gansta network in their apartment - computers P_DIDDY and PETEY_PABLO.  They were aptly named because they were both totally ghetto. 

By the way I got your PM. Thanks for the info on the Inspiron and Latitudes.  I'm confident I'll be loving life once my Inspiron shows up.  Ordered on Saturday night; Monday morning went from "Processing" through "Kitting", "Assembly", and "Testing" in about 3 hours; has been "Boxing" ever since.  I'm a little concerned they spend more time boxing these things up than they do testing them.   

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2005, 09:26:56 PM »
Just thought that I'd throw in my two cents. I've bought three Dell desktops over the last five years. I didn't replace them because they were broken, I just constantly find myself upgrading my machine because Dell offers discounts I can't refuse. My current desktop is a Dimension 4600 and I've had it for about a year and a half. No problems yet.

My old desktop (I don't remember which kind it is) is being used as a hand-me-down for my siblings at home. It's probably three years old, and it's running fine as well.

I have had to call Dell Tech Support a few times for friends who didn't know how to fix their computer. I've never had a problem with them either.

I just ordered an Inspiron 6000 tonight, so we'll see how it goes. I never considered buying anything else, though.

I'm not going to say that Dell is the best or anything, because I don't have experience with anything else. Just thought I'd add some positive comments to the litany of complaints.

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2005, 09:31:23 PM »
my only problem has been the messed up internet port...that doesnt bother me so much as the people they have hired for customer service....i cannot understand them and it pisses me off...i was on the phone with dell for an hour and 45 min. on Saturday!! Thats no fun  :-[

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2005, 12:52:50 AM »
i just got the 700m but without the extended warranty.  is there any way that i can get it now?  btw, if you look around for coupons, you can get dells for a lot cheaper.  i got mine for 1000, and that includes upgrading to 80g, 512, and extended battery.

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2005, 06:52:01 AM »
you might be able to call them and still get it if you just bought the machine, it's worth a try.  I'm definately a big fan of the 3 year Complete Care warranty that Dell has because it covers everything and not just manufacturer parts

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »
i just got the 700m but without the extended warranty.  is there any way that i can get it now?  btw, if you look around for coupons, you can get dells for a lot cheaper.  i got mine for 1000, and that includes upgrading to 80g, 512, and extended battery.

Your 700m is cheaper than my 6000 because it only has a 12" display, comes without a video card, and offers slower processors.  It's a "lightweight traveller", where my 6000 is a "desktop replacement".  Still, $1000 is a great deal for a 700m.  Dell's Web site says the 700m base model starts at $999 without any extra memory or harddrive.  But I needed at least a 15.4" display so I never considered the 700m. 

I'm really impressed with Dell's shipping.  I placed my order late Saturday night (Less than 6 days ago) and it wasn't originally scheduled to ship until the first week of April.  But it was built, tested, and shipped by Wednesday, and even though I selected the cheapest 3-5 day UPS ground shipping, it arrived today.   My office is closed, so I have to go out to UPS and pick it up myself... which I am on my way out the door to do now!  I'll let you all know how this bad boy looks when I get back.

Dazed

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2005, 10:56:54 AM »
btw, if you look around for coupons, you can get dells for a lot cheaper.  i got mine for 1000, and that includes upgrading to 80g, 512, and extended battery.

Can you let us know where to get a coupon like this?

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2005, 11:31:32 AM »
btw, if you look around for coupons, you can get dells for a lot cheaper.  i got mine for 1000, and that includes upgrading to 80g, 512, and extended battery.

You don't really need a "coupon".  If you go to Dell's Web site, the deals are already included by default.  These online "coupons" are just an advertising gimmick - they don't give you a lower price than you would be able to pay without the coupon.  Right now, Dell's promotion is 30% off most laptops and a free printer.  They have some coupons floating around the Internet to this effect, but if you go directly to their Web site you'll see that these specials are automatically included if you select an applicable model.

hunterhogan

• 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2005, 12:12:51 PM »

You don't really need a "coupon".  If you go to Dell's Web site, the deals are already included by default.  These online "coupons" are just an advertising gimmick - they don't give you a lower price than you would be able to pay without the coupon.  Right now, Dell's promotion is 30% off most laptops and a free printer.  They have some coupons floating around the Internet to this effect, but if you go directly to their Web site you'll see that these specials are automatically included if you select an applicable model.

This is often true, but not always true. There are coupons that you need the code for. Some can be found at http://www.techbargains.com/