Law School Discussion

$1550 down the drain!

Oneof2

• View Profile
Re: $1550 down the drain!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2005, 08:45:44 AM »
I bought an Inspiron 8500 a couple years back and have never had a problem with it.  Im considering upgrading to a new Dell before LS but mine works so well that it would be tough to pay all the extra money for a newer one.  Any suggestions?

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2005, 09:05:26 AM »
I bought an Inspiron 8500 a couple years back and have never had a problem with it.  Im considering upgrading to a new Dell before LS but mine works so well that it would be tough to pay all the extra money for a newer one.  Any suggestions?

Laptops are tough to upgrade.  Usually the only thing you can do is increase the memory.  If you want a faster processor, newer graphics card, or better display then you'll have to buy a whole new laptop.  If you really think you need something better, now may be a good time to buy.  The Dell Small Business department is offering 30% off all Inspiron laptops, which is the deal I got.

yoshibengoshi

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2005, 03:45:44 PM »
Burghblast, I think you're going to be happy with your Dell. I bought the smallest Dell Latitude LT almost 10 years ago. It had the original Pentium chip, so it's now far too slow for today's league, but it never had any technical problems whatsoever. Durable and traveled exteremely well.

Now, I'm trying to decide between your same Dell Inspiron versus the Alienware Sentia notebook. The Sentia specs are:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional w/SP2
Processor: Pentium M 725 1.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache 400MHZ FSB
Motherboard: Intel 855GME+ICH4M Chipset PC-2700 @ 333MHz
Wireless Network: Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 2915
RAM: 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM
Hard Drive: Hitachi 60GB 7200 RPM ATA100 with 8MB Cache
Monitors: 12.1" Wide-XGA 1280x800 LCD Display
Smart Bay One: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo
Ethernet NIC: Integrated 10/100Mb Ethernet NIC
Modem: 56K Modem with V.90 Technology
Dimensions (H x W x D): 1" x 11.5" x 9"
Weight: 3.85lbs

If I go with this one, it's $1700. I could scale the RAM down from 1GB to  512MB and save $140, but I'm a memory freak.

I also looked at VoodooPC (same specs costs almost $3000) and Mac Powerbook (which I love, but... it's not PC. Plus costs slightly more.)

Anyone have any opinions, narrowed down between Dell Inspiron and Alien Sentia?

Thanks!

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 04:23:01 PM »
Burghblast, I think you're going to be happy with your Dell. I bought the smallest Dell Latitude LT almost 10 years ago. It had the original Pentium chip, so it's now far too slow for today's league, but it never had any technical problems whatsoever. Durable and traveled exteremely well.

Now, I'm trying to decide between your same Dell Inspiron versus the Alienware Sentia notebook. The Sentia specs are:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional w/SP2
Processor: Pentium M 725 1.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache 400MHZ FSB
Motherboard: Intel 855GME+ICH4M Chipset PC-2700 @ 333MHz
Wireless Network: Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 2915
RAM: 1GB DDR PC-2700 at 333MHz - 1x1024 SO-DIMM
Hard Drive: Hitachi 60GB 7200 RPM ATA100 with 8MB Cache
Monitors: 12.1" Wide-XGA 1280x800 LCD Display
Smart Bay One: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo
Ethernet NIC: Integrated 10/100Mb Ethernet NIC
Modem: 56K Modem with V.90 Technology
Dimensions (H x W x D): 1" x 11.5" x 9"
Weight: 3.85lbs

If I go with this one, it's $1700. I could scale the RAM down from 1GB to  512MB and save $140, but I'm a memory freak.

I also looked at VoodooPC (same specs costs almost $3000) and Mac Powerbook (which I love, but... it's not PC. Plus costs slightly more.)

Anyone have any opinions, narrowed down between Dell Inspiron and Alien Sentia?

Thanks!

That's quite a choice.  I'll assume your $1700 includes tax and shipping, making it directly comparable to the $1550 I paid for my Inspiron 6000.  Factoring in my $100 mail-in rebate, you'll be payinig $250 more for the Sentia and getting the following advantages: 512MB memory, DVD RW, 20GB more hard drive space and 7200RPM performance, and significantly increased portability.  I'd certainly pay $250 for all of that! 

However, you're also giving up the following with the Sentia: MUCH smaller screen, slower processor with slower FSB, 2 year on-site warranty covering accidental damage, a free printer, and the big kicker in my mind - a dedicated video card.  Since your specs make no mention of a video card, I assume the Sentia uses Intel's integrated Xtreme graphics controller or something similar, which eats into your system memory for graphics.  Now factoring in all that, the Sentia doesn't look like a very good deal at all. 

The only reason I can imagine choosing the Sentia over the Inspiron is if ultraportability is your main criterion.  But in that case I think you would be much better off ordering another Dell model (Either in the Inspiron or Latitude line) because they offer 12.1" laptops for MUCH less than $1700.  I think you could get everything the Sentia offers plus a better processor for a couple hundred bucks less from Dell, and they might even through in the free printer too.

Go to Dell's Web site and try configuring one of their 12.1" laptop models so it compares to your Sentia.

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 04:29:16 PM »
FYI, check out the Dell Inspiron 700m.  It's comparable to the Sentia:

12.1" display
Pentium M 725 processor
Windows XP Pro
512MB memory
60GB hard drive
CD/DVD-RW
Free printer

$1300, not including tax or shipping.  I wouldn't pay Dell to upgrade to 1GB of memory.  You can do it yourself afterwards for about $100. 

manserunt

• The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 04:34:39 PM »
Burgh,

I have had two Dells - a laptop and a desktop.  The laptop didn't give me much trouble, but it was stolen after I had it a year so I can't really say how well it ages.  The desktop has been complete and utter crap.  I used to be a Dell cheerleader, telling anyone who'll listen to buy a Dell.  But I don't think I'd do that anymore.  I really do think they're cheaply made, and the tech support is pretty horrific - be prepared to be on hold for hours and, from what I've heard recently, it's unlikely the person helping you will speak adequate English.

I'll likely be buying a different brand this time around.  Even with my fairly well functioning Dell laptop, I still had to call support on a weekly basis, and went through about 3 DVD players, through no fault of my own.  You get what you pay for, I think, and there's a reason Dell is always having such good "deals" on their computers (which, incidentally, is why so many people buy them).

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2005, 04:37:36 PM »
Burgh,

Why did you buy now and not wait until June-ish?  With any computer, the longer you delay the more you get.

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 04:53:19 PM »
Burgh,

Why did you buy now and not wait until June-ish? With any computer, the longer you delay the more you get.

I was also wondering this.  Also, does anyone know if the latitude's ever go on sale. I really like the x300!

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 04:56:41 PM »
I bought the exact computer with the extra memory as well....i love my 6000...so do my neighbors...they are planning to buy the same computer

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 04:59:04 PM »
Burgh,

Why did you buy now and not wait until June-ish?  With any computer, the longer you delay the more you get.

Many reasons.  For one, I have already placed online classified ads looking to sell my current desktop.  If I find a buyer in the next week or two, I'll need to have my replacement ready to go before I sell.  Also, I will have so much stuff going on in the next few months with visiting schools and preparing to move.  I wanted to get my computer squared away now while I have the time to worry about it.  Then when June gets here, I won't have to.