Law School Discussion

$1550 down the drain!

Re: $1550 down the drain!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 10:12:20 PM »
For what its worth I can think of several friends at school (5 off hand) that have had terrible reoccurring problems with their Dell laptops. My parents have dell desktops at home and they have had no problems but there seems to be an ongoing failure by Dell to integrate quality into its value priced laptops. I have been giving the 700M some consideration but I am too afraid for teh amount I will be carrying it during LS. Just as a side note, what made you buy a notebook of that weight as opposed to like a mid 4 pounder with as much portability as it will require? I avoid carrying my current 6.5 pounder whenever possible.

If you think 6 and a half pounds is too much to "lug around" then step 1 is a gym membership :)

But seriously, I will be using my laptop as a desktop replacement and 15.4" is the smallest screen I was willing to go with.  I'm currently used to an 18" viewable desktop monitor, so the laptop will take a little getting used to for me.  At first I was leaning towards the Inspiron 9300 which has a 17" screen and weighs close to 9 pounds.  After getting so much feedback from LSDers about the importance of portability for law school, I ruled out a 17" screen and I was pretty much set on the Inspiron 6000.  6.5 pounds really isn't much to carry.  The Inspiron 6000 isn't an "ultra portable" by any means, but it is a good compromise that provides a decent screen size.  When closed the unit measures 10.1" x 13.6"  so it's slightly larger than my Northwestern admissions binder.

pointdexterish

• 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 12:03:55 AM »
Sweet laptop you have there - make sure to install antivirus, antispyware software and maybe a personal firewall (Anti-Vir, Spybot Search and Destroy are two good options for AV/AS) and the laptop will be purring for years :D

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 06:33:29 AM »
Check out www.my3cents.com and read about all of the problems people have with Dell laptops and their service contracts. I have a Dell desktop, and it seems to work fine, but I would never get a laptop from them based on the number of people who have problems with them.

That said, you are probably right that all laptop companies have issues. It's pretty much luck of the draw, I suppose. At least you can probably fix anything that may go wrong since you are a computer engineer.

Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 06:46:04 AM »
You're always better off having a computer built.  The larger companies will skimp on parts like motherboards, etc....yeah, you'll have the latest Pentium, but you won't see any stickers on the computer for anything else.  Use someone local so it's easier to get in touch of you have issues.  Word of mouth can generally lead you to someone reputable.

A company in Athens that does good work is Connected Technologies, http://www.cntdtech.com/ - honestly, I don't know if they're even still building any.  They built my home PC in early 2000 and it's never given me any problems, to this day.

ccorsi

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 06:53:59 AM »
Well since your ship has sailed on this purchase it really doesn't help to throw fuel on the fire, but they don't call me Sparky for nothing :)

I am an IT Manager (including purchasing) at a fortune 100 company and have been in the department for 10 years.

Dell makes a very nice desktop - reliable, affordable, and highly upscalable.

They, however, make complete *&^% servers and laptops.  We purchased Dell laptops for a 3 year period which ended in 2004 and everyone, IT and non-IT, alike was so happy to get rid of them.  They were extremely unreliable - LCDs fading, hard drives failing, and generally more nuisance causing (CD roms, DVDs, batteries, etc.)

If you want a good reliable laptop - buy an HP/Compaq.  IBM is also nice, but since they will be making them all in China soon - I'd hold off on them.  I have heard mixed reviews on Sony Vaios too, but even those blow Dell out of the water.

C2   

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 08:31:42 AM »
Wow, I'm amazed so many LSDers have so much bad stuff to say about Dell.  If my own company hadn't used Dell laptops so successfully for so long, I would probably be thinking about cancelling my order about now :)

My question for all of the Dell haters who claim such universal horrible experiences with Dell laptops is:  How have they won so many PC Magazine Editors Choice awards?  Two different Inspiron XPS models were picked as Editor's Choices, and almost all of the models in the Inspiron line rated 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5. 

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 08:38:30 AM »
At least you can probably fix anything that may go wrong since you are a computer engineer.

Not so with laptops.  Everything is pretty much integrated on the motherboard so if one thing dies, the entire unit typically has to be replaced.  This is why I paid $100 for a 2 year on-site warranty.

strouse

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 08:55:37 AM »
Burgh:

Consider this:  Dell has the larget market share, therefore logic tells us it will also have a higher quantity of defects and problems in sheer numbers alone.  Its only natural, the more units you make, the more people will have an opportunity to experience problems with your product.  This is just a product of being the largest co. in the business.  Dell makes a good product.

Phanatic.

P.S.- I rock a dell laptop and have had no issues.

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 09:31:21 AM »
Dell has the larget market share, therefore logic tells us it will also have a higher quantity of defects and problems in sheer numbers alone.

Yeah I had just come to this same conclusion a few minutes ago while trying to reconcile the huge numbers of Dell complaints on the 3cents.com Web site that someone posted earlier in this thread. 

I also just talked to a friend of mine who does tech support for a large company and is responsible for 600 Dell laptops.  He said they aren't more prone to problems than any other manufacturer, but that all laptop hard drives somewhat routinely fail due to heat conditions after 2-3 years. 

Rest assure that I will keep LSD posted throughout my Dell ownership experience :)

giffy

• Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 10:35:46 AM »
I have had a bit of experence with Dell and it has been positive. Much more so then Compaq, HP, or any other. The only thing that has been better are the PC's I put together myself and that mostly had to do with me knowing all that was init and it not having any useless crap installed. My mom has been using her Dell for about 3 years now and we used Dells were I worked. I also have acoupel of family members with dell laptops and thye love them. All had almost no problems and the ones tey did were solved. Now Dell used to be a lot better before they reduced the free warrenty. you used to get a lot more without paying. There is also the decline in their phone support which has gone from excellent to rather poor. However this seems to a problem with the industry as a whole.

that being said their products are still top notch. Aside from going to a speciality manufacture, which is difficult if you want a compact laptop, you can't do much better.