Law School Discussion

$1550 down the drain!

$1550 down the drain!
« on: March 19, 2005, 08:29:35 PM »
I finally pulled the trigger tonight and bought a laptop:

Model: Dell Inspiron 6000
Display: 15.4" UltraSharp WUXGA
Processor: Intel Pentium M 750 (1.86GHz, 533MHz FSB)
Memory: 512MB DDR2 SDRAM (x1 DIMM)
Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon X300 64MB
Hard drive: 40GB
CD/DVD: 24X CDRW/DVD combo
Integrated Wireless: Intel PRO Wireless 2200
Battery: 9-Cell Lithium ion (Extended life)
Printer: Free Dell color inkjet included
Warranty: 2 year on-site

$1,550 including tax and shipping (Plus $100 mail in rebate for selecting the 2 year on-site warranty)

I think the Inspiron 6000 offers the best blend of performance, screen size, and portability.  When closed the dimensions are 13.6" x 10.1" and the unit weighs a little over 6.5 pounds.  I really like the ATI Radeon graphics card... much nicer than the integrated Intel graphics you get with most laptops.  And since Dell's current promotion is 30% off everything, the memory was priced reasonably enough to justify upgrading to 512MB.  I may upgrade to 1GB later on.  I guess the free printer is nice too, but I'll withhold judgement until I see it for myself.  I imagine it isn't worth more than $50 so I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it. 

In one night I managed to double the cost of my law school admissions process so far. 

Re: $1550 down the drain!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:31:29 PM »
Dell is a TTT company. Get your money back and buy a different brand while you still can.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:32:36 PM »
Dell is a TTT company. Get your money back and buy a different brand while you still can.

Those Nasdaq commercials with Michael Dell paint a different picture.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 08:34:46 PM »
I'll rephrase then:

Dell makes a TTT laptop. Return it now and save yourself many future headaches....

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 08:37:55 PM »
I'll rephrase then:

Dell makes a TTT laptop. Return it now and save yourself many future headaches....

Did you have a bad experience with Dell? My entire company has been using them for awhile and everyone loves them.  Most of them have the Latitude series though.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 08:40:26 PM »
I had an Inspiron 600m that burnt its motherboard 9 DAYS after the ONE YEAR warranty expired....it would have been like a $700 repair....ive heard other such horror stories from dell owners. At least you have a 2 yr warranty.

edit: if you must have a dell, I would at least get the longest warranty they offer.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 08:47:20 PM »
I had an Inspiron 600m that burnt its motherboard 9 DAYS after the ONE YEAR warranty expired....it would have been like a $700 repair....ive heard other such horror stories from dell owners. At least you have a 2 yr warranty.

edit: if you must have a dell, I would at least get the longest warranty they offer.

Sorry to hear that.  What bad luck.  Of course you realize every manufacturer is prone to occasional defects.  I don't think Dell is any more or less prone to faulty hardware than Gateway, Sony, or Toshiba.  I'm a computer engineer and in the past 10 years I don't know if I have ever seen a motherboard spontaneously fry itself.  Computer parts aren't like car parts - they don't get "worn out" over time.  So when something like that happens it's usually due to some damage inflicted by the user, or a freak manufacturing defect.  But I do have increased peace of mind with the 2 year warranty.  If it were a desktop I wouldn't even have considered paying extra money for a warranty, but laptops are much more prone to those rare defects and when something does go wrong you often have to replace the entire unit. 

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 08:54:03 PM »
If you check out consumer reports or pc world, you might be suprised by what you find out about dell.  Many ppl had the same problem w/the 600m. I think its bad that the company wouldn't stand by the product (i know if was out of warranty, but by less than 2 weeks...) Anyways, even though you're from pittsburgh i hope you have no probs w/your system. :)

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 09:03:25 PM »
If you check out consumer reports or pc world, you might be suprised by what you find out about dell.  Many ppl had the same problem w/the 600m. I think its bad that the company wouldn't stand by the product (i know if was out of warranty, but by less than 2 weeks...) Anyways, even though you're from pittsburgh i hope you have no probs w/your system. :)

Hahahaha.  Thanks for the warm wishes despite my hometown.  By the way, PC Magazine has awarded a couple Editor's Choice awards to the Dell XPS notebook line, but those are massive 17" desktop replacements.  The 6000 line is relatively new, I haven't found any reviews yet.  But here's what PC Magazine had to say about the Inspiron 8600:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1722283,00.asp

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 10:00:58 PM »
I bought Inspiron laptops for myself and my team at work and we've had absolutely no problems.  Prior to that we had Latitudes with no issues.  Enjoy your new PC!