Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Texas (wow, possibly as out-of-state!)  (Read 652 times)

Aakash

• View Profile
In at Texas (wow, possibly as out-of-state!)
« on: March 19, 2005, 09:46:42 PM »
Got the letter today, dated three days ago.  The letter stated that since my residency is under question (I was in-state during undergrad at UT, but have been working in the Northeast since July), I'll be considered out-of-state until otherwise proven.  I'm not concerned about that though, since the residency officer states I'll be considered a TX resident the moment I set foot on TX soil again, which will obviously be prior to the first day of class should I decide to go to UT. 

However, the letter doesn't state that my offer of admission is CONDITIONAL upon my establishing residency.  I think that means I currently fit into the 20% out-of-state admits, which is pretty damn flattering.

Unless one of the big boys (top 3 or 5) come calling, it's gonna be mighty tempting to spend another three years close to home (Houston) in one of most chill, laid-back, fun cities on the planet...and then there's the cheap student tickets to ncaa athletics :-)

Texas! ................ Fight!

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
Re: In at Texas (wow, possibly as out-of-state!)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 09:50:28 PM »
Got the letter today, dated three days ago.  The letter stated that since my residency is under question (I was in-state during undergrad at UT, but have been working in the Northeast since July), I'll be considered out-of-state until otherwise proven.  I'm not concerned about that though, since the residency officer states I'll be considered a TX resident the moment I set foot on TX soil again, which will obviously be prior to the first day of class should I decide to go to UT. 

However, the letter doesn't state that my offer of admission is CONDITIONAL upon my establishing residency.  I think that means I currently fit into the 20% out-of-state admits, which is pretty damn flattering.

Unless one of the big boys (top 3 or 5) come calling, it's gonna be mighty tempting to spend another three years close to home (Houston) in one of most chill, laid-back, fun cities on the planet...and then there's the cheap student tickets to ncaa athletics :-)

thats awesome.  Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Aakash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 09:55:56 PM »
BTW, standard sized envelope, a little bit thicker than a single page letter, since there's six or seven sheets of paper total.  No big package with brochures, etc.

Oh, and one more thing...my application status page on UT still says what it did a month ago...file is complete and was processed Feb. 15th.

So those of you that check your application status online for a decision, there's a strong chance you'll get a letter before anything happens online.

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 10:25:46 PM »
BTW, standard sized envelope, a little bit thicker than a single page letter, since there's six or seven sheets of paper total.  No big package with brochures, etc.

Oh, and one more thing...my application status page on UT still says what it did a month ago...file is complete and was processed Feb. 15th.

So those of you that check your application status online for a decision, there's a strong chance you'll get a letter before anything happens online.

Congrats!  Note, corrected my earlier mistake.  My status did not change either until 5 days after the date of admission granted (according to UT).

Also, I kept trying the Freshlaw link to see if I could get early info.  I couldn't get in until today, so no info that way either.   :)

The Truth

• Sr. Citizen
  • Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 04:59:15 PM »
Congrats on Texas! I almost went there as an undergrad to their submatriculation program where you can go through an get your B.S./JD in five years. It is the best school in Texas by far and a strong national player. I am still considering them being from TX myself (Houston) although the IVY League and its credentials and others are really taking me in another direction particularly Penn and NYU. My mentor when I was in high school was a UT Law Alum and is an attorney in H-Town.

I wonder if there would be a way for me to restablish TX residency LOL, I mean my wife (Dallas) and I are both from TX, that would hopefully translate my scholarship offer for an out of state tuition waiver to dollars and decreas tuition from $27K to 16K to 5K a year plus a stipend....."LONG" shot to be a Longhorn this way  ;D

I need to revisit the school as the last time I went was in 97' and I hear things have changed a lot since then.

We'll see as the job is being stingy with the vacation  >:( I mean what do they want from me: work?? ::) Who knew? :o

Good luck with your journey.

The One, The Only, The Truth...
Attending: PENN$$$
W/D after Acc.(had next, LOL): NYU$$$,CLS$,CHI$$,GTown$$$,Duke$$,TX$$,NU(loans),Cornell?
WL'ed & then W/D: HLS(after hold), SLS
Rej: NONE
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing but The Truth
Don't Hate Me, Because You Ain't Me (J/K, LOL)