tralala

-
« on: March 19, 2005, 02:51:17 PM »
-

sorority girl

• View Profile
Re: Greek system leadership EC's
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 04:31:32 PM »
Depends on how you frame it.  Like, if you mention your sorority's philanthrophy involvement and scholarship activities that could possibly be viewed favorably.  Yes, being a sorority president is a tremendous responsibility.  But, it will be tough to convince the adcomms without sounding too Legally Blond-ish.  I would list the sorority involvement in the application itself (and list leadership positions) and within your resume.  Otherwise, keep it out.

And this comes from a beer-pong champion.

sorority girl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 09:15:58 PM »
At my school we used Beirut and Beer Pong interchangeably, but here in Florida its just Beer Pong.  People get really confused if you say Beirut.

Flip Cup is overrated.  (But easy)

the REAL desi

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 03:43:55 AM »
there are plenty of greeks in law school.  i knew plenty of sorority presidents where i went to school (big campus) and they had to deal with eating disorders, sexual assaults, drug problems, budget concerns, etc.  being a stupid social chair won't help you out, but being your sorority president probably will.  it will show your commitment to an organization (you don't just wake up one day and get elected president but have to get active in the e-board your freshman year, right?)... so put a positive spin on it and relay how your presidency reflects positive aspects of your character (commitment, determination, etc) and how you learned what you needed to change.

if you were the tri-delt president at UF, under no circumstances should you mention that you hid your korean girls (and fat girls) during rush so that the rushees would think that the DDD were all blond and blue eyed skinny girls.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 10:22:40 AM »
if you were the tri-delt president at UF, under no circumstances should you mention that you hid your korean girls (and fat girls) during rush so that the rushees would think that the DDD were all blond and blue eyed skinny girls.

:)  That made me laugh so hard!  My undergrad sorority didn't do this, but another sorority on our campus used to hide their ugly girls, fat girls and, yes, even their midget in the kitchen during rush!!!
Attending: Texas

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 10:57:37 AM »
I was the VP of membership of my chapter, and I spoke with an adcomm at one of my schools about my EC's, because I only had two.  She asked what they were, I told her a varsity sport and exec board of my sorority, she was impressed by both and talked about how they understood the huge time committment and leadership skills being a member of exec requires.  Plus, you never know if the adcomm could be an alumnae of your sorority, and that definatly never hurts!  I'd definatly say mention it
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

Precise

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 03:11:41 PM »
Holding a fraternity/sorority leadership position will NEVER hurt your application.

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 04:05:28 PM »
I agree that it will not hurt your application.  However, I think that the best way to address this experience is to let it stand for itself in your resume with indication of positions held.  I think discussing it in your personal statment makes you seem immature.

Just my opinion.

the REAL desi

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 04:08:10 PM »
Holding a fraternity/sorority leadership position will NEVER hurt your application.

you're a little too optimistic

kristay

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 04:08:31 PM »
I agree that it will not hurt your application.  However, I think that the best way to address this experience is to let it stand for itself in your resume with indication of positions held.  I think discussing it in your personal statment makes you seem immature.

Just my opinion.

Exactly.  Adcomms who were interviewed for books like the Personal Statements that Worked for Law School, etc... (can't remember the exact names, but there are quite a few) have said that it's ridiculous when applicants write about greek life in their PS unless they have done something TRULY extraordinary (which most have not).  They basically said that they roll their eyes when applicants talk about their pancake breakfasts and what not like they're going to save the world.  I just put my Greek leadership/involvement on my resume and left it at that.