Law School Discussion

-

PresClay_00

Re: Greek system leadership EC's
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 02:15:31 PM »
I agree that it will not hurt your application.  However, I think that the best way to address this experience is to let it stand for itself in your resume with indication of positions held.  I think discussing it in your personal statment makes you seem immature.

Just my opinion.

Exactly.  Adcomms who were interviewed for books like the Personal Statements that Worked for Law School, etc... (can't remember the exact names, but there are quite a few) have said that it's ridiculous when applicants write about greek life in their PS unless they have done something TRULY extraordinary (which most have not).  They basically said that they roll their eyes when applicants talk about their pancake breakfasts and what not like they're going to save the world.  I just put my Greek leadership/involvement on my resume and left it at that.

Don't you think this is true of pretty much any involvement?  Even if you were President of the College Libs or Republicans or of any other group, unless you can prove that you did something drastic with it, nobody cares.  I think the thing that comes through in any of those books regarding admissions is to make yourself stand out.  If you led your house to do something outstanding and it relates to you personally, talk about it.  If your political/religious/ethnic/fun group did nothing but sponsor a single event on campus that was sparsely attended, it will have little to no benefit the same as being intramural chair at your house would have.

kristay

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 02:21:41 PM »

Don't you think this is true of pretty much any involvement?  Even if you were President of the College Libs or Republicans or of any other group, unless you can prove that you did something drastic with it, nobody cares.  I think the thing that comes through in any of those books regarding admissions is to make yourself stand out.  If you led your house to do something outstanding and it relates to you personally, talk about it.  If your political/religious/ethnic/fun group did nothing but sponsor a single event on campus that was sparsely attended, it will have little to no benefit the same as being intramural chair at your house would have.

No, because sororities and faternities are generally considered as purely social organizations and can have negative stigmas attatched (partying, drinking, etc...) whereas other campus groups are taken more seriously. 

Also, I do agree that almost everyone has involvement in extracurriculars.  It's just that when you're Greek and your sorority takes a huge amount of time and effort, it's natural to want to talk about it.  But most people who are not Greek do not understand the commitments of Greek life.  I would imagine that those who were in some other on campus group that did nothing but sponsor a single event would be less likely to talk about that event in major detail in a PS. 

The books that I have read SPECIFICALLY advised against (whether by the authors of the books or from admissions officers at top schools) talking about Greek life unless you did something HUGE.  They did not say "don't talk about your involvement in College Democrats or Women's Entertainment Troupe" or whatever.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 02:25:03 PM »
Holding a fraternity/sorority leadership position will NEVER hurt your application.

you're a little too optimistic

If you mean fraternity/sorority involvement will hurt your application by possibly affecting your GPA, then I guess your are correct. However, i highly doubt the add. comm will frown if they see it in your resume.

PresClay_00

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 02:34:14 PM »
As a Greek myself, I completely understand how much time it takes.  I served as VP/Pledge Educator my soph/jun year, and treasurer/alumni appointed presidnet my jun/senior year.  You said it exactly though: Greek life takes much more out of you than many other groups, and therefore is a bigger part of your life prompting you to want to talk about it.  That's why i said if you actually did something important with it, talk about it.  At the same time, if you were a useless officer in another group and have nothing other than a title to showcase, I can't see how that will help you.  I think the advice against Greek discussion comes from people who talk about the time commitment, but don't show what they took away from it and what they contributed as part of it.  In comparison, if someone is going to talk about another group as a significant part of their life, it probably took more time and justifies discussion.  If, as a leader of a house, you also held leadership positions in multiple groups on campus, it only improves your discussion of your strenghts as a leader, if you choose to do so.  However, if a house position is the only thing you have, as has been reiterated numerous times previously, find soemthing else to talk about.

kristay

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 02:42:33 PM »
As a Greek myself, I completely understand how much time it takes.  I served as VP/Pledge Educator my soph/jun year, and treasurer/alumni appointed presidnet my jun/senior year.  You said it exactly though: Greek life takes much more out of you than many other groups, and therefore is a bigger part of your life prompting you to want to talk about it.  That's why i said if you actually did something important with it, talk about it.  At the same time, if you were a useless officer in another group and have nothing other than a title to showcase, I can't see how that will help you.  I think the advice against Greek discussion comes from people who talk about the time commitment, but don't show what they took away from it and what they contributed as part of it.  In comparison, if someone is going to talk about another group as a significant part of their life, it probably took more time and justifies discussion.  If, as a leader of a house, you also held leadership positions in multiple groups on campus, it only improves your discussion of your strenghts as a leader, if you choose to do so.  However, if a house position is the only thing you have, as has been reiterated numerous times previously, find soemthing else to talk about.

Yeah, I think the adcomms who advise against talking about Greek life are advising against those who are just like all the other applicants who held the positions but didn't really do anything with them.  I think that having it on the resume is generally sufficient unless you've done something huge or can talk about it in a different way than most others.

I generally admire those who are Greek because as one, I realize how much time and effort and what a large commitment it is.  In a club, you can leave the meeting, go home and do other things...Greek life is so much bigger than that!  It's just that if an adcomm wasn't involved in Greek life, I think it's hard for them to understand...just my 2cents, though.

PresClay_00

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 02:46:10 PM »
"It's just that if an adcomm wasn't involved in Greek life, I think it's hard for them to understand."

yup, just like for anyone (parents, friends, etc).  unless you're in it, it's hard for you to understand.

kristay

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 02:48:55 PM »
"It's just that if an adcomm wasn't involved in Greek life, I think it's hard for them to understand."

yup, just like for anyone (parents, friends, etc).  unless you're in it, it's hard for you to understand.

Yup.  I try to explain it, but...

LaneSwerver

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 02:56:02 PM »
I can see the answer on the app now:

"I was often the leader of the Baby Elephant Walk in my fraternity. As you may know, this is certainly the position one desires to hold as the mid-level positions can be somwhat sh*tty."

the REAL desi

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 03:47:16 PM »

Gee, I listed on my resume that I did research in particle transport phenomena.  If adcomms don't get Greek life, then I must have been screwed.

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 05:46:30 PM »
Not understanding particle transport phenomena is not exactly the same as not understanding greek life.  Everyone assumes the particle research stuff (which clearly I don't understand) is really tough and you must be smart to have done it.  Everyone assumes greek life is solely about partying.  Its not about "not understanding," its about stereotypes. 

You can list greek life for leadership positions.  But I wouldn't base my entire personal statement on it.