Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WL @ University of Houston  (Read 5120 times)

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
WL @ University of Houston
« on: March 19, 2005, 01:04:07 PM »
I don't know if I should be happy or not. I had never really considered attending (I wanted to avoid Houston) but were I accepted I might have thought otherwise. I'm still waiting to hear from SMU, but apparently they're not going to be sending letters for some weeks. I might have to put a deposit down somewhere else.

My numbers are 2.63 LSAC GPA and 162 LSAT.

EDIT: Oh, and my status online still says "file in review".
SMU Fall '05

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
Re: WL @ University of Houston
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 02:39:22 PM »
 >:( I also just got the WL letter from UHLC. I'm actually pretty bummed about it. I grew up in Houston and was hoping this would give me a good excuse to move back. My whole family lives in Houston; I haven't lived near them for about eleven years. They'd be great support for my wife and me in the likely event that we decide to have a kid in the next couple of years. Not to mention that for the same money we have saved to buy a house in Boston, we could practically live in a mansion in Houston for the same price. I think I'll put all of that in my letter to them. Oh well... >:(

Does anybody have numbers for last year's WL acceptances from Houston?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 06:21:30 PM »
I think their class is full. There are too many people on LSN who would have been admit earlier in the season now on the waitlist. It's sad though Houston was telling people to apply until the last minute now it seems like all those people that applied late are getting screwed. Good luck.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 09:08:11 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your waitlist. With all of the high LSATs getting waitlisted this year, they must have had a huge surge in apps (with a low tuition like that, of course!). The people who got in with lower LSATs (like me) all seem to have applied super-early.

The admissions people are so wonderful there, I'm pretty sure they will read and at least fully consider any letters of continued interest. I've been very impressed with their staff.

jeffgdula

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jeffgdula@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jeffgdula
    • View Profile
    • JeffGdula.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 09:49:27 PM »
I don't know if I should be happy or not. I had never really considered attending (I wanted to avoid Houston) but were I accepted I might have thought otherwise. I'm still waiting to hear from SMU, but apparently they're not going to be sending letters for some weeks. I might have to put a deposit down somewhere else.

My numbers are 2.63 LSAC GPA and 162 LSAT.

EDIT: Oh, and my status online still says "file in review".

sorry man.  this is getting pretty amusing though.

akwolf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 02:37:31 PM »
It's surprising that you guys were waitlisted, but I don't believe the class is full. If you were URM, they'd take you at the last minute and offer a full scholarship. I was shocked at who was getting rejected/deferred at the University of Texas this year, and I've come to believe that law school admins in the State of Texas have some social engineering agenda that differs from producing qualified attorneys. It seems like a person has to score over 173 for any assurance that whiteness will not be held against you.

akwolf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 02:58:53 PM »
For instance, I don't know why this guy got rejected at Houston:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=hunterhogan

But if he were black, would they still reject him? I doubt it. I'm undecided about the merits of AA. It doesn't affect me personally very often. However, I'm not convinced that the policy achieves it's goals as far as law school admissions is concerned.

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 05:53:47 PM »
For instance, I don't know why this guy got rejected at Houston:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=hunterhogan

But if he were black, would they still reject him? I doubt it. I'm undecided about the merits of AA. It doesn't affect me personally very often. However, I'm not convinced that the policy achieves it's goals as far as law school admissions is concerned.

AA is a bunch of garbage.
SMU Fall '05

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 06:27:45 PM »
I think there's another thread where you can give your opinions on AA. And if you actually went through every waitlisted person on Houston's profile you would find that a few blacks and Hispanics are on the list. Houston is full. Besides a lot of minorities don't apply to Houston, the school is predominantly white. So the AA argument is mute. Same thing at Baylor.

Bahamut

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 02:09:16 AM »
I think there's another thread where you can give your opinions on AA. And if you actually went through every waitlisted person on Houston's profile you would find that a few blacks and Hispanics are on the list. Houston is full. Besides a lot of minorities don't apply to Houston, the school is predominantly white. So the AA argument is mute. Same thing at Baylor.

Since this is my thread, I'll give my opinions on AA, Houston, and cheese if I want.  :P

Nontheless, I'm not blaming AA for anything at Houston. I never really wanted to go, so I honestly don't care. I'm surprised I wasn't outright rejected, actually. Someone mentioned AA, and I decided to give my opinion.

Oh, and the word you were looking for was "moot", not "mute".  ;)
SMU Fall '05