Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston U Admitted Students Day Mar 18  (Read 757 times)

clint79

• Feelin blue
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cjw779
    • View Profile
    • Email
Boston U Admitted Students Day Mar 18
« on: March 19, 2005, 12:40:58 PM »
So I just got back from the BU admitted student's day. I got there a day early to walk around and get the feel of the place w/o the admissions propaganda, and people seemed to genuinely like the school. I talked to a few people at the cafe and they were very satisfied w/ their decision. Public trans in Boston was effective, (at least on first glance... no power outages or massive delays) but the Green Line, which serves BU, is crammed cheek to cheek at all hours of the day it seems. THAT is a bit annoying. And I found a great cheap chinese place right across the street.

The building is ugly. I knew that coming in. And my mind was not changed while I was in the school. It has a feeling of 'old.' The walls are this boring shade of off white, and there is hardly any carpet.. it was all tiled floors. (That's one of my things for some reason.)They are making improvements though. The dean said it was a 'work in progress,' and the faculty and students at the luncheon roared. For me, I dont think the aesthetics of the facility are going to make any difference, cuz you get used to it.

On Friday at the function, they had a lot of students and faculty around to sing BU's praises, and keeping in mind that this was a staged event, they seemed completely genuine about how much they enjoy BU. Time and time again they mentioned how great the professors were, and we got a chance to sit in on a fake class. The minute we registered, they handed us a packet containing a case and a rule of law, and the professor simulated a class, although he went really easy on us. The other admitteds were friendly and outgoing, and I think it's going to be a great class that comes together in August.

I was about 95% sure I was heading to BU for law school, but after having seen everything, met some people, asked questions about the school and career prospects, and experienced Boston for a few days, my mind is made up. I'm outta the burgh, and I cant wait for August.   :D
I'm wide awake/It's morning! (-Conor)

Boston U, here I come

my nickels worth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boston U Admitted Students Day Mar 18
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 02:45:27 PM »
Glad to see that you had a positive experience!

I made arrangements to go on Apr. 8 and hopefully I will come back in agreement with most of your sentiments.

If it's not much trouble and you have any other good tidbits of info or opinions, please email me: my_nickels_worth13@yahoo.com

BU--almost through One-hell

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 07:38:27 PM »
I guess I had the opposite experience. After attending, I found the faculty to be great and I understand how BU feels about their faculty. I was unimpressed with pretty much everything else. The one thing that BU had going for it in my mind was that it offers specializations. BC does not. But after talking with the students, I found that they took one of the few positive things going for them, and threw it out. They made it clear that specializing does not help in getting a job. I knew from talking to lawyers the no one really specializes and most firms teach you a specific area once you are hired, but I liked the idea of a certificate or something. Everyone I talked to really said it was just a marekting ploy to make their students stand out, and firms weren't biting. It seemed like they even thought specializing was probably the dumbest thing the school did. That was really one of the only things goign for them. I want to practice in Boston so BC has always seemed like the right step. Looks like its off to BC for me. But I must admit, deciding between the two schools was VERY tough. BC has the edge for my desire to work in a law firm, but really cant complain being in our situation. I like to remind myself sometimes when I think about the schools that rejected me and how five more points on the LSAT would have changed things, five points LESS on the LSAT would also have changed things.

mari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 11:27:51 PM »
how did you guys find out about BU's admitted student days? I couldn't find any information on that at all...

my nickels worth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 04:21:00 PM »
how did you guys find out about BU's admitted student days? I couldn't find any information on that at all...

Mar. 18 was the only admitted students' day that BU offered--invitation received in the mail.

Apr. 8 is just a normal tour day...BU gives student guided tours and you can sit in on a class every Tuesday afternoon and Friday morning through the semester.

BU--almost through One-hell

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 06:37:23 PM »
I don't remember getting anything in the mail about an admitted student's day. :(  Oh, well.  I plan on visiting sometime in April anyways.  Did anyone get a chance to check out the housing options?  Any reasonably priced apartments that aren't totally run down?

karita624

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 08:52:41 AM »
I don't remember getting anything in the mail about an admitted student's day. :(  Oh, well.  I plan on visiting sometime in April anyways.  Did anyone get a chance to check out the housing options?  Any reasonably priced apartments that aren't totally run down?

Likewise, I was really dissappointed with BU.  And growing up in Boston, I know that a degree from BC is more highly regarded (at least locally).  It has been a tough decision, but I am really happy that I am finally making one.  BC, here I come....