Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: delete  (Read 14276 times)

Dano

Re: Terry Schiavo
« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2005, 01:50:17 AM »
are you suggesting that there is a way to grow a brain or that science has some experimental procedure or that anyone is anywhere near growing her brain back??? cuz if so  then you have outed yourself as a homer

Of course not, read my post.  Where do I insinuate there is a cure for her?  However, I hate to break it to you, but the future is an unknown for most of us.

Are you suggesting that there will never be a cure for her condition?  Or that the entire brain is needed to function?  Or that doctors disagreeing with her diagnosis should be ignored?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2005, 02:10:49 AM »
how about this:  mr. schiavo has not lost his case EVER.  does that say anything to you?  how about the experts that you cite are not undisputed and the courts have found against them. 

the future is unknown but at this point in time, even the experts that you cite would agree growing a new brain is impossible and not reasonable consideration right now. 

so in light of all of this, you must be a vehement war protester since innocent and fully functional lives are lost for virtually not a good enough reason
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

Dano

« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2005, 02:13:50 AM »
#1 i think that 15 years of litigation and no obeservable progress is enough evidence to prove that she is going to stay in a vegetative state.

Are you aware that she has had little therapy, and there are nurses that cared for her claiming her husband withheld therapy? 

#2 you are right that doctors know little about how the brain functions but they do know that it doesnt grow back and that it is necessary for cognition. 

OK

#3 if doctors know so little about the brain how can you suggest that they may be able to cure her?

It's called dynamics.

#4 there has been no other person in her exact condition that returned to normal, ever!

Many of these patients receive little care and many doctors consider them as you do "lost causes".  This could (and I stress could) impact the success rate.

She may be misdiagnosed.  Not everyone agrees she is in PVS.  Also, does she have to return to "normal" in order to be saved?

#5 courts are there to decide the tough issues and congress should be spending its time on something more important than a lost cause

I never mentioned Congress, but courts do decide issues based on laws passed by the legislative branch.  There is a relationship ... checks and balances.

Dano

« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2005, 02:21:38 AM »
how about this:  mr. schiavo has not lost his case EVER.  does that say anything to you?  how about the experts that you cite are not undisputed and the courts have found against them. 

the future is unknown but at this point in time, even the experts that you cite would agree growing a new brain is impossible and not reasonable consideration right now. 

so in light of all of this, you must be a vehement war protester since innocent and fully functional lives are lost for virtually not a good enough reason

It is very hard to overturn a case.  I don't know the exact statistics but it is slim.  Judges tend to affirm each other.  No big surprise there.

The issue is whether the FL law is proper and whether she is truly terminally ill. 

She doesn't need a NEW brain.  She has one that is functioning quite well actually.  It is able to monitor her heart rate, allow her to move, process food, respond to light and sound, allow her to make facial expressions including smiling, etc.

Doctors are notoriously egocentric.  The fact that some would be willing to make a diagnosis regarding an area they know little about is also unsurprising.

The war protester thing ... ???  Another sad attempt to compare Terri to war?  Or a pathetic ad hominem?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2005, 02:23:47 AM »
#1 i think that 15 years of litigation and no obeservable progress is enough evidence to prove that she is going to stay in a vegetative state.

Are you aware that she has had little therapy, and there are nurses that cared for her claiming her husband withheld therapy?

#2 you are right that doctors know little about how the brain functions but they do know that it doesnt grow back and that it is necessary for cognition.

OK

#3 if doctors know so little about the brain how can you suggest that they may be able to cure her?

It's called dynamics.

#4 there has been no other person in her exact condition that returned to normal, ever!

Many of these patients receive little care and many doctors consider them as you do "lost causes". This could (and I stress could) impact the success rate.

She may be misdiagnosed. Not everyone agrees she is in PVS. Also, does she have to return to "normal" in order to be saved?

#5 courts are there to decide the tough issues and congress should be spending its time on something more important than a lost cause

I never mentioned Congress, but courts do decide issues based on laws passed by the legislative branch. There is a relationship ... checks and balances.

regardless of all of that: the law is that he gets to decide as the next of kin and he decided. her parents didnt like his decision and lost 15 years of court battles.  she wanted to die, deserves to die, its his decision, END OF STORY.  what kind of life is living in a bed, unable to speak/communicate, unable to feed yourself, unable to feel or emote, being fed through a tube for the rest of your life? 

really would you want to live?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2005, 02:26:10 AM »
no but it would be inconsistent for you to be an advocate for a person that is missing her brain and against keeping alive thousands of healthy and innocent people in iraq, right?

so you are against the war right?

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2005, 08:12:27 AM »
Except for the minor detail that a good part of is has turned into fluid, and has become useless.

She doesn't need a NEW brain.  She has one that is functioning quite well actually.  It is able to monitor her heart rate, allow her to move, process food, respond to light and sound, allow her to make facial expressions including smiling, etc.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2005, 08:34:49 AM »
no but it would be inconsistent for you to be an advocate for a person that is missing her brain and against keeping alive thousands of healthy and innocent people in iraq, right?

so you are against the war right?

julie against war, but also relatively comfortable with how legal system handled schiavo case.

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2005, 08:47:41 AM »
The only reason this case has become such a media circus is because of the religious right using it as a stepping stone to reversing Roe v Wade. Just like with the abortion issue, both sides are being extremely consistent. Once again, nobody is talking about the same thing:

Schindler/Pro-Life
Schiavo/Pro-Choice
Life at all costs
Individual Lierty
  Allow Gov't to Dictate Med Care in Life/Death Cases 
  Individual Decides Med Care in All Cases
Protect Borderline Lives
Protect the Actively Living

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2005, 08:55:32 AM »
The only reason this case has become such a media circus is because of the religious right using it as a stepping stone to reversing Roe v Wade. Just like with the abortion issue, both sides are being extremely consistent. Once again, nobody is talking about the same thing:

Schindler/Pro-Life
Schiavo/Pro-Choice
Life at all costs
Individual Lierty
  Allow Government to Dictate Medical Treatment 
  Medical Choices Privately Made by Individual 

I agree. I also find it intereting that religious wacko's ostenciably people very committed to thier religion are so against letting people who are beyond treatment die and go to Heavan. Perhapse they are not so sure and this arrogent act, is jsut that, an act to conceal their own doubts. Like Alan Keyes and his "I'm really anti-gay, becasue I'm gay and my daughters gay" bit.