Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: delete  (Read 13929 times)

JonR0921

• View Profile
Re: Terry Schiavo
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2005, 04:22:16 PM »
I suppose Terri also receives disability pay.  Nice!

I know you probably didn't expect a response to this, but after working as an appellate paralegal for a firm that did nothing but social security disability (SSD) work, I feel like responding.

Terri has been like this since she was 25.  Most 25 year olds don't have enough lifetime earnings to qualify for SSD (and if they do, the amount they'd get is negligible).  Moreover, the initial application evaluators deny 97% of all claims, which leads to a hearing.  Of the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) decisions that I've read and appealed (well over 300 different judges), I can say with a fair degree of certainty that no judge would grant benefits in a case with as many discrepancies as this one has.

(Disclaimer: What I've just stated is my opinion based on work experience, and should not be taken for any more than that)

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2005, 04:24:32 PM »
You yourelf called my diction "church language", which intimates a religious connotation I never established.

Maybe not on *this particular thread*...
3.4ish, mid-160's
Accepted: UCLA, Loyola (Los Angeles)
Rejected: USC (whatever!)

*YAY!!!!!!!!*

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2005, 04:26:31 PM »

I know you probably didn't expect a response to this, but after working as an appellate paralegal for a firm that did nothing but social security disability (SSD) work, I feel like responding.

Terri has been like this since she was 25.  Most 25 year olds don't have enough lifetime earnings to qualify for SSD (and if they do, the amount they'd get is negligible).  Moreover, the initial application evaluators deny 97% of all claims, which leads to a hearing.  Of the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) decisions that I've read and appealed (well over 300 different judges), I can say with a fair degree of certainty that no judge would grant benefits in a case with as many discrepancies as this one has.

(Disclaimer: What I've just stated is my opinion based on work experience, and should not be taken for any more than that)

Good to know.  And I suppose all the "care" she's been getting isn't coming out of her parent's pockets eh?

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2005, 04:29:35 PM »

Good to know.  And I suppose all the "care" she's been getting isn't coming out of her parent's pockets eh?

No, its been well established that there's no money anymore.  The hospice care is being provided by Medicaid, and, I'm assuming that by now, the lawyers are all doing it pro bono.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2005, 04:30:45 PM »

She got a malpractice award that was intitially used for her care. Some it was also used to fight for her wishes in court. There is very little left. right now the state of Florida and the federal governemnt are picking up the tab. Funny thing is that if this was Texas a law Bush signed would make the family and Terri's concerns irrelevent and the docotrs coudl simply pull the tube. 

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2005, 04:34:20 PM »
She got a malpractice award that was intitially used for her care. Some it was also used to fight for her wishes in court. There is very little left. right now the state of Florida and the federal governemnt are picking up the tab. Funny thing is that if this was Texas a law Bush signed would make the family and Terri's concerns irrelevent and the docotrs coudl simply pull the tube. 

Yeah... and we ALL know how much Bush loves medical malpractice suits... the irony in this case is deep enough for diving.
3.4ish, mid-160's
Accepted: UCLA, Loyola (Los Angeles)
Rejected: USC (whatever!)

*YAY!!!!!!!!*

Ron Hiatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • slave to the "unread replies to your posts" link..
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2005, 05:02:06 PM »
God's Will / Terri's Legacy

Whether you want to say that something is God's will, or want to say that everything happens for a reason, or you want to call it karma, many people believe that there are no coincidences. Something negative that happens today may have a positive effect on your life or someone else's life later.

So what is Terri's legacy? I believe it is to make a whole generation of Americans think about these important life/death issues. A side benefit of this is that it is currently employing many lawyers to draft living wills. :D

Allow me to share with you an email exchange I had with my father this afternoon. Maybe it was "God's will" to have Terri perish at this time. I know that many people must be having conversations like this right now with their loved ones. That is a good thing, in my opinion.

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:29:22 -0600, Mr Jeremy wrote:
> >
> > I have an appointment on 4/11 to draw up a Will and Living Will. 
> > I want to name you as Executor of my estate - would that be all
> > right with you?
> >
> > OldMan
> >
> >
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ron Jeremy
> Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:33 PM
> Subject: Re: Legal stuff
>
> Sure. Just send me a copy of the documents, and anything you need me
> to sign. Do you want to sit down and go over your specific wishes with
> me?
>
> -the boy
>
>On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:39:35 -0600, Mr. Jeremy wrote:
> I have to think about what I want first - it won't be complicated.  Once
> I see the attorney I'll let you know more.  Just so YOU know in case
> something happens before April 11, I do not want to be kept alive by
> artificial means (mechanical ventilation), BUT I do want to be fed, even
> if it's with a tube - please don't let anyone ever starve me to death!
> OldMan
>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:46:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Legal stuff

No problem. You can feel free to starve me to death, if I've been that
way for more than 6 months, and more than five doctors have given
their independent assessment that I will never recover. Of course, I'd
rather be put down more humanely, like a dog or convict would be
treated. So, if you can somehow sneak me a lethal dose of morphine,
that would be preferable to starvation. Still, I'd take starvation
over living as a vegetable for the rest of my 'life'.

Rest assured, though, I would do EXACTLY what it is that you want done.

-the boy

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2005, 05:17:34 PM »
Rest assured, though, I would do EXACTLY what it is that you want done.

Looks like your dad would prefer to be treated differently than you RJ. Your willingness to honor his will, even though it differes from your own, is precisely what separates you from the "Save Terry" horde.

withj

« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2005, 07:34:20 PM »
Nat Hentoff on Terry Schiavo in the Village Voice:

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0513,hentoff,62489,6.html

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2005, 08:21:48 PM »
Nat Hentoff on Terry Schiavo in the Village Voice:

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0513,hentoff,62489,6.html

I didn't find any penetrating insight in the article. Just the same "she's alive! save her!" slogan.