Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: delete  (Read 13795 times)

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
Re: Terry Schiavo
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2005, 01:50:32 PM »
Planning an autopsy before someone dies might be the most morbid thing I've ever heard of.

Sometimes living on this planet I don't feel even remotely human.

To giffy:  There is a huge difference between sacrificing yourself so others can live (Christ, soldier jumping on grenade, etc.) and being starved to death.  When Christ encountered the sick and dead, he had a habit of either healing them or bringing them back to life.

I think as a Christian, my goal is to pray for her.

So far 46 people have been arrested in the protests surrounding the controversy or not.  Wanted or not- these people are needed- I shudder what the world will be like when something like this ceases to be a controversy, and no one gives a damn at all.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2005, 01:59:50 PM »
The count is now at 47:  A man was tasered by police for resisting arrest.  He was carrying two water bottles.  Imagine that scene for a moment.

In 2005, a man was tasered by police in an effort to bring water to a dying woman.  I disagree vehemently with his tactics but admire his dedication to an ideal.

What would happen legally if someone (her parents or a protestor) did manage to break in and wet her lips with a sponge or piece of ice?  They'd be breaking the law obviously, but can you really see someone being led away in handcuffs for moistening the lips of a dying woman?  If it were caught on camera, it would surely be one of those Elian Gonzalez moments that would galvanize the nation.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2005, 02:30:14 PM »
someone better get Terri some water fast..she might go brain dead without it.

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2005, 02:33:37 PM »

Did you just say that? ???

Do you think it's humorous to make jokes about someone's death.  Do you enjoy ridiculing those who want to help her but can't.  I don't agree with their tactics, but I sure as hell know better than to mocking them for having a sense of decency.

quickone

• 3.67/174
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2005, 02:35:14 PM »

In 2005, a man was tasered by police in an effort to bring water to a dying woman.  I disagree vehemently with his tactics but admire his dedication to an ideal.

in all fairness, he wasn't  tasered for the water, he was tasered for resisting arrest. 

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2005, 02:41:05 PM »
Okay, first of all, the people who were trying to bring water to Schiavo are well-meaning but a bit stupid -- they'd probably drown her if they tried to make her drink it. They either don't *GET* what's going on, or they just want to say they were arrested for trying to bring Terri Schiavo a glass of water. Little martyrs, they think they are.

Second of all, I'd hope that anybody who still feels that the Schindlers aren't just pissed about not getting part of the malpractice settlement will change their minds once they find out that the Schindlers are selling the list of names/emails of people who responded to Mr. Schindler's plea for donations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/politics/29donate.html?ei=5088&en=eff131665ae17165&ex=1269752400&partner=rssnyt&pagewanted=print&position=

I stopped feeling sorry for these guys a LONG time ago. Now I see the videos of them with Terri and I'm just like, "God, how creepy. She can't give them grandchildren so they'll just pretend like she's a a baby herself. Forever."
3.4ish, mid-160's
Accepted: UCLA, Loyola (Los Angeles)
Rejected: USC (whatever!)

*YAY!!!!!!!!*

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2005, 02:42:23 PM »

Do you think it's humorous to make jokes about someone's death.  Do you enjoy ridiculing those who want to help her but can't.  I don't agree with their tactics, but I sure as hell know better than to mocking them for having a sense of decency.

Terri died 15 yrs ago.  I am sick and tired of reading headlines about this.  And I am pissed that our government and our courts are trying to pass laws to keep her "alive".  Why aren't they figuring out new laws to keep our vibrant soldiers and other people from dying in Iraq?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2005, 02:43:53 PM »
I don't agree with their tactics, but I sure as hell know better than to mocking them for having a sense of decency.

The fact that you feel they have a sense of decency doesn't mean that they do.

I feel, for instance, that they are overstepping their rights.  It's not their right to protest a family decision.  I feel it's indecent of her parents to continue to crusade to keep her alive no matter what, despite the fact that it's been clearly and consistantly agreed upon that she did not want to be kept alive like this.  So it's somewhat immature to mock them, I can't say that I agree with their "sense of decency" and I think you'd have a hard time finding a majority of Americans who would.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2005, 02:50:26 PM »

Your posts give the impression that the world is out to persecute christians and that regardless of whether or not we agree or disagree with Terry's family we should all thank the christian protestors for creating this controversy.

I find that offensive. Plenty of offensiveness to go around it seems.

withj

« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2005, 02:59:10 PM »
Shouldn't the one(s) arguing to remove the tube have the burden of proving that's the course of action she would prefer? That's how I would want if I were the one stretched out on the bed. Her husband says she would have wanted the tube removed, but shouldn't he have to prove it?  

(aside: way too much husband-bashing by certain of the Terry supporters. "Speak the truth in love." Isn't that the gospel dictum? For all any of us know he's an average-Joe-of-goodwill muddling through a terrible trial as best he can. That's the charitable presumption, it seems to me, for all of us who can't "look into his soul.")

Do people ever recover from PVS after 15+ years? Is there a case history?

She was only 24 years old when she (purportedly) declared her desire to be allowed to die under such circumstances. I thought I knew alot when I was 24, but I was wrong about alot of those things.

Assuming the courts have done everything by the book, does that make it justice? Dred Scott, Plessey v. Ferguson, Roe v. Wade, were all the result of due process, and were all unjust decisions (IMO.) How depressing it's been for a wannabe law student to witness the gears of process churning and grinding, all rules and regulations, no inspiration. Is justice really the product of such bloodless deliberation?  

My own answer to most of the questions I've posed would, alas, be a puzzled "I don't know...." God help me.

Everyone making cynical, Howard Stern-style wisecracks at Terry Sciavo's expense and her parent's, the arrow is one day going to find it's mark in your own life, or your loved ones'. Count on it. Then run the laughtrack and see how you feel.

"When the Son of Man returns, will he find faith on the earth?" Rhetorical question in the original.