Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: delete  (Read 14068 times)

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Schiavo
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2005, 12:35:58 AM »
There's one reason why I'm opposed to Terry Schiavo's death- the idiots in my first period class all favor the decision unanimously.  If you knew these people (or read my blog) you'd understand the hesitation.

I would really rather be wrong than side with those ignorant cretins.

That's a pretty horrible reason to be wrong...if you can think for yourself and come to your own conclusions why the decision is right or wrong, then why does it matter when the kids in your class think?

Have you met my students? ;)

Seriously, though, you raise a good point.  Legally, I agree with the ruling- morally and spiritually, there's a part of me that wholeheartedly rejects the notion.  I guess I categorize my students as what happens when the well-meaning supporters of the act (i.e., the people on this board) turn into "death-is-best" zombies that believe the law is always right.

As a Christian, I think our best option would be to pray.  It sounds naive, even to another Christian, but we have to remember that Christ conquered death- he didn't invite it or want it to happen.  And if we truly have faith, anything is possible.  It sounds idealistic, but I'd rather fail attempting the ideal than succeed pragmatically.

On a medical level, I have a problem with removing feeding tubes.  I don't have a problem with pulling the cord on breathing machines or other related devices, because the person's not able to live on their own.  But in this case she just needs food.

What does the law say about someone who can talk but can't eat (like my grandfather) who wants to die.  Could he legally have the tube removed?  I would assume since he's cognizant this would be suicide, which is illegal.  But if he was unconscious (or brain dead) it's okay?   

You could say that Christ did invite/not flee death. In the garden he had the option of escape, but refused. He knew that death was not the end and was inevitable. He choose to go face the crucifixtion willingly and becasue he knew it was his time. You could say the same thing about a person in Terri's state. They could escape a little longer though technology, but why do that when they can face the invetible death and go to what comes next. just as Christ went willingly to the cross

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2005, 07:46:24 AM »
not to refer to anyone here: julie find it interesting how some people claim to defend life in this case but otherwise blithely approve something like starting war.

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2005, 08:15:02 AM »
So whoever it was that posted earlier that Michael Schiavo planned on having an autopsy performed on terri was correct:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/29/schiavo/index.html

Personally, I think this is a good thing.  It'll certainly silence those who allege that he beat her (if he did, do you think he'd request an autopsy), and it'll allow the parents to see just how severly brain damaged their daughter was; not a pleasanr thing, but maybe after seeing that, they'll realize just how selfish they were being.

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2005, 08:42:01 AM »
I sympathized with Terri's parents for awhile, but once they started lying to the press and not stopping their lawyers from doing the same (i.e. 'Terri's in pain' ot 'Terri's trying to communicate with us and we can tell'), I lost respect for them.  They come out of this looking selfish, and appearing to place their agenda first, and their concerns about their daughter second.

And if anyone in the Schindler family -- or their attorney's -- say one more time that Terri's been denied due process, I may just give up following the case.  This matter has gone before the President, the House, the Senate, the Florida legislature, a Florida state court, and every federal court (twice).  No one has bee given more due process than Terri Schiavo.

That said, I fully support Michael's position that he is carrying out his wife's wishes.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2005, 08:50:28 AM »
That whole due process thing is such a joke.  I can't believe these people have the gall to say such a thing when it's obvious that more people in our governments and court have given time to this, even when such time was not required of them.  It's laughable that the President and Congress got involved.

Just because you didn't get the outcome you wanted doesn't mean you were denied due process.

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2005, 09:04:30 AM »
That whole due process thing is such a joke.  I can't believe these people have the gall to say such a thing when it's obvious that more people in our governments and court have given time to this, even when such time was not required of them.  It's laughable that the President and Congress got involved.

Just because you didn't get the outcome you wanted doesn't mean you were denied due process.

I agree...the federal government stuck their nose in where it didn't belong.  But since they did, I figured it'd be worth pointing out what may well be the funniest thing ever said on the House floor.  During that ridiculous 3-hour debate, Rep Barney Frank (D-MA), said "I'm not a doctor, I just play one on C-SPAN." I thought that was hysterical.

Of course, every republican House member with a medical degree then proceeded to diagnose Terri's condition, which I thought was ridiculous.

But you can always count on Barney Frank for a good laugh.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2005, 09:27:26 AM »
So whoever it was that posted earlier that Michael Schiavo planned on having an autopsy performed on terri was correct:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/29/schiavo/index.html

Personally, I think this is a good thing.  It'll certainly silence those who allege that he beat her (if he did, do you think he'd request an autopsy), and it'll allow the parents to see just how severly brain damaged their daughter was; not a pleasanr thing, but maybe after seeing that, they'll realize just how selfish they were being.

Also, the husband needs to think about pre-emptively defending himself against any civil action Terry's parents may bring against him. Given everything they've already done, i wouldn't put it past them. An autopsy would go a long way toward stopping a wrongful death claim initiated by the family.

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2005, 10:47:04 AM »
Interesting that you bring this up.  On "Hannity and Colmes" a few nights ago, Sean Hannity asked Bobby Schindler (Terri's brother) if the family's lawyers are considering murder charges against Michael Schiavo.  His response was the same response he'd given to all of their questions; something to the effect of "we're focusing on my sister now and I'm sure our lawyers will look into all of these things when the time comes."

Legally, I don't think murder charges can be brought, but I would expect Sean Hannity to ask such a question.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2005, 10:55:01 AM »
Legally, I don't think murder charges can be brought, but I would expect Sean Hannity to ask such a question.

Probably right, but i don't think there's anything stopping the family from bringing a civil action against the husband.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2005, 11:07:02 AM »

I agree...the federal government stuck their nose in where it didn't belong.  But since they did, I figured it'd be worth pointing out what may well be the funniest thing ever said on the House floow.  During that ridiculous 3-hour debate, Rep Barney Frank (D-MA), said "I'm not a doctor, I just play one on C-SPAN." I thought that was hysterical.

Of course, every republican House member with a medical degree then proceeded to diagnose Terri's condition, which I thought was ridiculous.

But you can always count on Barney Frank for a good laugh.

Somebody suggested that as a solution to the high cost of medical care people should just send Frist a vidoe of their symptoms and ask for a diagnosis.