Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To all SAHM, career switchers and basically, all "mature" LS applicants  (Read 3518 times)

jss

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm so glad that I found this board.  I have been struggling with the law school issue for years now. 

I graduated with a BA in Political Science and was sure that I was on the law school path. I decided to get work experience after college and worked as a paralegal for a number of years. 

Life got in the way as it always does, and I got married and had two children.  I am so lucky to have two beautiful children and a wonderful husband, but I know if I don't go to Law School and finish my path that I started years ago, I will never be fufilled. 

I am a stay at home mom now.

I plan to take the LSAT this year and enroll in school for the fall of 2006. I haven't decided if I am going to go full or part time.

JS  :)

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
JS-

Good for you!  Being a stay at home mom is great because it allows you to focus on your kids.  But, unfortunately, it is also easy to lose focus on your own goals and ambitions - it is easy to lose yourself in motherhood.  It is great that you are finding the time to pursue your own ambitions while also raising a family!! 

Like you, I am a stay at home mom (three kids - ages 11, 6, and 4).  Now that my kids are starting to get older, I am also returning to my long-held dreams of law school.  I will be starting this fall at ASU.  I am very excited that I am finally getting on track with my goals.

Good luck to you!   

Coyote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm 33, married, two kids.  I figure once I start law school I'll drop all that and start fresh.  Maybe meet some nice girl who's pre-med, or possibly with a trust fund.  Sweet.  I'm fairly young looking, so I figure this is my last shot before my wrinkles etch any deeper.

If you're reading this, honey, I'm kidding.  I took out the garbage and we're out of milk.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
If you're reading this, honey, I'm kidding.  I took out the garbage and we're out of milk.

:D

koggy

I am going to totally embarrass myself by saying that I thought SAHM meant, single, Asian, homosexual male.  Here I have been a SAHM for many years and have not even known that there is an acronym fo me!

• View Profile
I'm 33, married, two kids.  I figure once I start law school I'll drop all that and start fresh.  Maybe meet some nice girl who's pre-med, or possibly with a trust fund.  Sweet.  I'm fairly young looking, so I figure this is my last shot before my wrinkles etch any deeper.

;D

Funny you say this, but my husband teases me about that whole "starting fresh" concept all the time.  Deep down he is quite insecure about me heading off to ls and breaking out of SAHM-ness.  We have two amazing daughters.  He would love to try for a boy, but I would rather not have another child.  I'm 34 and he is 41.  I have always known I would have another career after staying home with the children.  I am so excited for ls.  I'll be spending lots of time this summer prepping my husband and building him up so he knows that me going to school does not equal me starting fresh! 

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
building him up

For this purpose, may I recommend the reading of Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands? My husband and I read it together, a chapter at a time, over a year ago. Very very helpful.

• View Profile
Really?  I'll check it out.  Thanks, Rocky!

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I read that book last November.  It was really helpful for me and my husband as well (he ended up reading over my shoulder a bit).  I actually decided not to go to law school after reading that book, but I had already sent in a couple of applications.  I reconsidered in March and will attend this fall.  A lot of growing up happened between November and March.  (Most particularly, my daughter -- she's nearly 10 months old now.)

Comm-Law

• View Profile
Comm - Have you decided on a school?

Unless something amazing happens at DePaul (ie: more scholarship money), it looks like Toledo for me.  I've been out to Toledo about 5 times this spring, checking out the school, househunting, etc.  We just put in an offer on a new house just outside of Toledo, so within the next week or two I expect to be locked into Toledo for certain.

Did you ever decide where you were going Paperback?  I vaguely remember you saying that you are from Ohio.

- Comm-Law