Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To all SAHM, career switchers and basically, all "mature" LS applicants  (Read 3501 times)

Sherlock

• MSN Messenger - basiodu@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
What do you all hope to get out of LS/a legal career?

For me it is the hope of the ultimate job satisfaction :D, better pay maybe, and a lifelong career.

I have a further question for SAHM, and females who may not have children now, but intend to in the long run.

How would children fit into your career goals?  How do you intend to plan your career while still raising a family?

I would love to see your views!

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Hey Sherlock,

I'm pursuing law because I feel that I have done all I can do right now as a journalist and law is my only other serious career interest.

I think it will be a challenging career and a chance to make a serious difference in my community.

As for my family, I plan to be a county prosecutor, which is primarily a daytime weekday job with holidays.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
My husband and children will remain central and most important in my life.

17-year SAHM, preparing for the next phase of giving to society as my children begin to take wing, by increasing my education.

Studying in LS will take a backseat to my family, always.

SaintTTT

what is SAHM? I guess by asking, it disqualifies me under that enumeration.

geni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
what is SAHM? I guess by asking, it disqualifies me under that enumeration.

Stay at home mom.

How would children fit into your career goals?  How do you intend to plan your career while still raising a family?

Many women build a career for themselves and then find that they are faced with a dilemma - to quit a career they worked hard to build in order to be home with their baby or leave their baby in daycare to go to work.  I can't speak for others, but for me at least, having children before my career was a conscious decision.  I wanted the best of both worlds.  I wanted to be home with the kids and I wanted a career. 

I knew, though, that working for 5 or 10 years to advance in a career only to leave it to be a SAHM and then trying to return years later is not exactly a "good career move".  The career I had built before being a mom would have since evaporated.  So, I chose the only other option I could see.  I did the mom thing first.  Now that my kids are school age and I don't plan on having any more children, I am ready to focus on a career.  I won't be faced with maternity leave, decisions about quitting, or finding daycare. 

My kids are in school all day and attend after-school programs and ativities like cheerleading. So, there is no real point in my sitting at home alone waiting for school to end... it is the perfect time for me to go to law school and to begin focusing on my personal ambitions instead of just family goals.       

Comm-Law

• View Profile
Hey Sherlock,

I'm pursuing law because I feel that I have done all I can do right now as a journalist and law is my only other serious career interest.

I think it will be a challenging career and a chance to make a serious difference in my community.

As for my family, I plan to be a county prosecutor, which is primarily a daytime weekday job with holidays.

I'd have to echo the comments from dbgirl.

I've been in IT (Information Technology) for 11 years.  I've worked the gambit... from help-desk and tech-support to programming, to network management, to owning and managing my own Internet Service Providing business.  I feel like I've accomplished everything I can in IT, so I'm moving into law because it is nice extension to some of the IT and it is a new career path that interests me.

- Comm-Law

oldmom

• View Profile
What do you all hope to get out of LS/a legal career?

For me it is the hope of the ultimate job satisfaction :D, better pay maybe, and a lifelong career.

I have a further question for SAHM, and females who may not have children now, but intend to in the long run.

I would love to see your views!

Hi, Sherlock

I am 42, a mother of 3, accepted into an upstate law school, class of 2008, and have lived (and worked as an assistant) in a trial lawyer's home office in upstate NY for 6 years by now.

Law is a great career for a woman, I am actually advising my 2 daughters to choose this path. If after graduation you go into public law - public defender, ADA, the money is not top, but you have financial stability, including during the time when you have children. If you practice privately, it offers you flexibility you, probably, won't have in any other profession (combined with the pay). All "equipment" you need for your office is law books and your head. Your soup can be boiling in the kitchen, your kids can be doing their homework in the next room, your sick kid can be with you at home under your eyes - and you'll be counselling clients at the same time, and if you're good, they will come to your home office, word of mouth works, believe me - clients come not for the glamor of marble walls in your office, but for your wisdom to resolve their troubles.

Law implies very long hours, my husband works practically around the clock, but he works in the comfort of his own home, and the hours are more or less flexible.

ccorsi

I've always wanted to go to law school and decided to do it as a 30th birthday present to myself.

I'm not married and I knew that graduating at 33 and then needing to work off my debt could ultimately preclude me from having kids.  I read a lot of books about marriage/motherhood last year and made a conscious decision that I would be okay with foregoing it if that was the path my life took.

Becoming a wife or mother has never been one of my goals in life, however I've always tried to stay open to the fact that it was possible that one day a man would fall out of the sky and that my perception could change.  Unlike many women who "know" that they want to have children regardless, I would only want to have kids if I met the right partner. If that happens and I decide that kids are something I want, then I think my priorities would shift and I don't think that I'd be overly upset about it in the sense that at that point I would be choosing family life over career.  Since this is all hypothetical, I couldn't say whether or not I would shift careers, work part-time, or stay at home.  I can't imagine not working, but at the same time, I can't imagine having kids right now either so who knows how different I would feel about things if I did decide at some point to have them.

For me, even if I 'had it all', I probably couldn't do 'all' well or if I did I'd be so freaking tired that one day I'd pack a suitcase and mysteriously disappear from work and home.  I know several women who wanted to be married by age "X".  I've always thought this was self-defeating in the sense that you can't plan love or relationships.  You take it as it comes and if you decide it's something worth having in your life, you adjust.

A -

I have similar philosiphies.  Or more properly should say I did.

I met my wife a few years back though and we now have a wonderful 2 year old daughter.  I also am early 30s going to LS, but I am going to have to go P/T at least for the 1st year.

It has been my experience that you find that someone special when you least are looking for it, so my bet is you'll find someone 1st semester as a 1L :)

C2

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
I am at the point where I know so much about BK law (I work as office manager/sr. paralegal at a firm I helped start years ago) that I know more than the attorneys we hire but can't give legal advice and will never get the same respect from our clients and attorneys we deal with regularly that they do.   I also have gotten tired of my friends and family telling me about issues they have that could be solved by me if I had that law degree.  I feel like my hands are tied without a law degree, so I HAVE TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL. 

It's like there is a slippery slope and I just started sliding toward going to law school faster and faster.

I make a very good living at my job, but I think I will end up bitter and resentful if I don't do this. It may be at the expense of having my own children, but I always liked the idea of adopting  anyway.  Why have "my own" when there are so many children already out there needing love?

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Hey Sherlock,

I'd have to echo the comments from dbgirl.

I've been in IT (Information Technology) for 11 years.  I've worked the gambit... from help-desk and tech-support to programming, to network management, to owning and managing my own Internet Service Providing business.  I feel like I've accomplished everything I can in IT, so I'm moving into law because it is nice extension to some of the IT and it is a new career path that interests me.

- Comm-Law

Comm - Have you decided on a school?