Law School Discussion

obamacon

• View Profile
« on: March 18, 2005, 06:23:42 PM »

Re: list of average gpas
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 06:28:22 PM »
If you scroll to the bottom of this page [ http://www.gradeinflation.com/ ], there are average gpa trend values listed for several schools.

:)

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 06:11:45 PM »
I wanted to either puke or cry after seeing that list.  There were so many schools with over 3.0 average GPA's and the average GPA at my undergrad was a 2.54!!!!!

flossy

• Goddamn monkey stole my sandwich!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - flossy_kid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 06:24:28 PM »
The grade inflation at all the private colleges bummed me out until I saw my first LSAC report, where it shows a GPA distribution for your school.  I would be shocked if the admissions committees didnt look at this info and factor in your relative performance against your peers.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 06:50:50 PM »
The grade inflation at all the private colleges bummed me out until I saw my first LSAC report, where it shows a GPA distribution for your school. I would be shocked if the admissions committees didnt look at this info and factor in your relative performance against your peers.

i'm sure adcomms do compare students from the same school.  unfortunately, however, usnwr doesn't care.  a 4.0 is a 4.0, and to the extent that a given law school is looking to maintain or increase it's 25/75 GPA range, it seems they'd be more likely to go for the grade-inflated 3.8 over the 3.3 that gets a student cum laude or higher at non inflated school.