Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: very difficult question  (Read 941 times)

kralf

• View Profile
very difficult question
« on: March 18, 2005, 07:43:22 PM »

prep test 32 section 1 #18

Until 1985 all commercial airlines completely replenished the cabin air in planes in flight once every 30 minutes. Since then the rate has been once every hour. The less frequently cabin air is replenished in a plane in flight, the higher the level of carbon dioxide in that plane and the easier it is for airborne illnesses to be spread.

Q: which one of the follwing is most strongly supported by the information above?

b) People who fly today are more likely to contract airborne illnesses than were people who flew prior to 1985..

e) in 1980 the level of carbon dioxide in the cabin air on a two-hour commercial airline flight
was lower than it is today on a similar flight..(answer)

Why not B is the answer?

I think B is right inference..
GPA: 3.7
Oct Lsat:167

wanna break 170!

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: very difficult question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 07:50:53 PM »
"most strongly supported" means relative to the other options. Without the other options it is impossible to explain the answer.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 07:57:53 PM »
maybe there is another more important factor.

say SARS was EVERYWHERE prior to 1985 but is gone now. SO just because airborne illnesses may be easier to transmit on planes now, there are fewer diseases to worry about.

Therefore, people may NOT be more likely to contract airborne illnesses now...
(163+172)/3.5

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 09:09:25 PM »
Until 1985 all commercial airlines completely replenished the cabin air in planes in flight once every 30 minutes. Since then the rate has been once every hour. The less frequently cabin air is replenished in a plane in flight, the higher the level of carbon dioxide in that plane and the easier it is for airborne illnesses to be spread.

Q: which one of the follwing is most strongly supported by the information above?

b) People who fly today are more likely to contract airborne illnesses than were people who flew prior to 1985..

Why not B is the answer?

Kralf,

If you're too lazy to type out all the answers, at least give the test date/preptest #, section and question number.

People are constantly posting questions and making significant typos.

Thanks
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

kralf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 05:18:48 PM »

nobody can answer my question?

I modified my quesion, adding the answer..

Thanks
GPA: 3.7
Oct Lsat:167

wanna break 170!

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 05:39:09 PM »

e) in 1980 the level of carbon dioxide in the cabin air on a two-hour commercial airline flight

Why not B is the answer?

See how easy that was to do, O.P.?

B) might be ok in the absence of E), which you'll notice distinguishes "commercial airline flight" from "people who fly", thus tailoring the scope appropriately in accordance with the stimulus.

"people who fly today" includes military aircraft, private planes, hang-gliders, etc.

Furthermore, you don't know if it's really easier to get sick today, since, even if it were true that it's easier for airborne illnesses to spread, it could be that in the past two decades, people in general are healthier than they used to be, and so even with less cabin air replenishment, there's less disease available to spread in the first place.  Likewise, the airlines may acknowledge the problem and take countermeasures, like handing out masks to passengers, thus making B's conclusion that today you're more likely to contract illness wrong.
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »
bingo. in these questions that are like "what is the most reasonable inference..." you want to make the smallest logical leap possible. Going from lower refresh rate --> more disease is simply a bigger jump than going from lower refresh rate --> more CO2.

bloomich

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 03:41:16 AM »

Why not B is the answer?

B requires a large leap because "people who fly" can contract airborne illnesses in arenas outside of the airplane, which complicates the whole comparison... whereas choice E is very specific in limiting any extraneous factors... it may be the case that people who happen to ride airplanes today are less likely to contract airborne illness due to advancements in medical treatment, cleaner air outside of airplanes, etc.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 06:45:52 AM »
the questions deals with level of CO2, not airborne illness.  you cannot draw any conclusions about airborne illness and contracting one given the information.  you can only draw conclusions about the level of CO2 before and after 1985.

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 10:52:46 PM »
i agree. no info. to suggest anything about illness today. you need other factors to determine this answer. with the info. given, e is the answer because there is no information given as to illnesses today. the info. given supports e.