Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When are schools going to start cranking out decisions?  (Read 1138 times)

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
When are schools going to start cranking out decisions?
« on: March 18, 2005, 05:32:49 PM »
My first deposit is due on April 1st and I still have yet to get a decision from 7 schools.

Looking on LSN more people are still in the "pending" category than any other category. When are these schools going to get a move on things? There has to be some deadline these schools are aiming for no?

Fordham: 146 Pending
GW: 223 Pending
U Penn: 247 Pending
UVA: 253 Pending
NYU: 310 Pending
Cornell: 228 Pending
Harvard: 427 Pending
Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: When are schools going to start cranking out decisions?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 05:59:28 PM »
They're definitely doing it now. I had 5 pending at the start of last week and have gotten 3 rejects in that time. I'm still waiting for 2 more, but I think the schools are in high gear now trying to get letters out.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 09:17:06 PM »
I have a ton still pending too. They're all dings . . .

I would guess that most schools would try to have their letters postmarked by April 1 in time for many of the seat deposits due April 15 (those with 4/1 deadlines will just have to loose their money if they get a dream acceptance.)

In general, I'm tired of this process and the obsession that goes along with it. I've made my decision but I still obsessively check the mail.

James Neutron

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 09:43:05 PM »
theyre aware of the impending deposit deadlines, so i'm sure they're going to do what they can to get as many out before the end of march.  the next week and a half should be big

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 11:37:38 AM »
My first deposit is due on April 1st and I still have yet to get a decision from 7 schools.

Looking on LSN more people are still in the "pending" category than any other category. When are these schools going to get a move on things? There has to be some deadline these schools are aiming for no?

Fordham: 146 Pending
GW: 223 Pending
U Penn: 247 Pending
UVA: 253 Pending
NYU: 310 Pending
Cornell: 228 Pending
Harvard: 427 Pending

i think the very fact that so many people apply to at least 10 schools and given that schools need to fill seats, we wait.

the really horrible thing is that although the number of applications may be up, i don't think there are really more people applying to law school. so, it's taking schools longer to fill classes because it's a domino effect, beginning on the east coast & with some schools on the west coast. generally, i think there are schools that "steal" students away from certain schools and because their application deadline for seat deposit is April 1st or April 15th, without giving the student the option to "withdraw" or give them a definite "yes" or "no" by a date before April 1st or april 15th, a lot of 2nd & 3rdTier schools place so many students on their waitlist because they really don't know how many students they're going to actually end up with until April 1st or April 15th.  And even then, you have students that put down deposits and don't go because they hear from their "dream school" in april.

example:
mary applied to harvard, stanford, USC, UCLA, Yale, & (2 safety 2nd tiers & 3 3rd tiers because she received fee waivers).

the 5 safety 2nd & 3rd tiers will come back & say yes, we want you by february, whereas the  T14 schools will take their students by february & let mary know if she's been accepted in april because they're waiting to hear back from their top candidates.  typically most people who apply to harvard will apply to stanford, usc, & yale...keeping in mind that a student can only really enroll in one school...so, if you have every law school applicant doing this, yeah, the # of applications do increase.this is just my theory, i could be wrong.

i wonder if the # of people who are able to obtain a BA degree is increasing or decreasing & how many people, on average, are getting higher degrees is increasing or decreasing.  & who are these people?...

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 02:23:11 PM »
i agree.  this is why i still think i have a shot at some of my tier 2's.  but i guess we'll have to wait and see.
FIU Class of 2009

Runnin'Thangs

• GET UP or MOVE OVER 'cuz I'M COMIN' THRU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 02:37:19 PM »
I keep reminding myself that "no news is good news."  (I'd rather have a late acceptance from my top choices than an out-and-out rejection.)  Some days, it's harder than others to remind myslef of this, though.  It gets to be a lil' frustrating, not knowing where I'll be living five months from now.  I would shop to take my mind off of things, but I can't even buy any clothes because I don't know what climate I'll be living in.  Not to mention, LSAC has lots of my $$$.

Here's an idea: "We'll give you a decision in 30 days or refund your application/LSAC report fees!" :D   
Stay focused and stay positive (and remind me to do the same)!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 03:23:37 PM »
That is an excellent idea for T2 schools to use.  They could increase their app fees (which we would gladly pay) and hire more staff to process the apps.  This could result in more seat deposits (b/c they could move up their deadlines)and people would then lose them if they decided on a "better" school.  Could be a boon financially to those schools. 

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 08:21:35 PM »
They should have some deadlines for people whose applications were complete last year by now.  It's just wrong for them to NOT have a decision when the application has been completed for almost half a year.