Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Since many of us are going to be relocating to another state . . .  (Read 574 times)

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
Any suggestions on movers to avoid?   I've gotten written estimates from 2 and it seems expensive to me.  Also, anyone from Pitt who can fill me in on slumlords to avoid.  I'm praying to find a little place with a yard for my dog like I have now, but I am not very optimistic.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Since many of us are going to be relocating to another state . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 01:41:34 PM »
I'll be using movex.  Pretty much all of my stuff can be handled with 2 people, so we don't need the labor part of the movers.  My estimate for moving from Boston to Atlanta was about $750.

www.movex.com

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
  • I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 01:45:40 PM »
Ooh, good thread idea.  Thanks for the movex tip, Jacy.  I'm getting my quote processed right now!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 01:48:09 PM »
If you end up at Emory, sej, I'll be in Atlanta around August 1st.  If you move in after me, I'll help.  If we get amarain, we'll have an lsd moving party.  ;)

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 01:52:26 PM »
If you end up at Emory, sej, I'll be in Atlanta around August 1st.  If you move in after me, I'll help.  If we get amarain, we'll have an lsd moving party.  ;)

Sounds like a good time; I'll make sure my blender is unpacked ASAP so we can make margaritas! :)

Have you found an apartment yet?  Or are you going to wait until the summer?

druidgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 01:53:47 PM »
Has anyone looked into a company that does the opposite of Movex?  My husband and I can get friends to help us load a truck on this end but we won't really know anyone to help out on the other end and we will not be moving to a place that is close enought to ask our friends to drive down and help us unload the truck when we arrive.  

We were thinking we would use PODS for the "truck" in case the settlement dates for selling and buying houses require a few days of storage in transit.  We are trying to figure out if there are companies that you can hire to do the unloading part without acutally doing the moving part.  Any ideas?
...not all those who wander are lost...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 02:17:48 PM »
I'm sure you can find labor for unmoving, druidgirl.  I'd maybe contact some local moving companies in the area you'll be moving to and asking if they provide that or if they can recommend anyone to do it.

Someone in a different "moving" thread posted an alternative to Pods.  They said Pods was really expensive, and there's one that pretty much the same thing only cheaper.  I'd do a search on lsd for "pods" or something and see what comes up.

Sej - I actually think we'll be living in one of those gated community type places.  We've found one that we like and we'll probably be sending them app fees and such once I pay my deposit at Emory.  The grounds were beautiful, with a pool and awesome landscaping.  There's a 24 hour fitness center with free weights, treadmills, ellipticals, etc.  They have numerous grills for residents to use.  Tons of other little perks, too.

Since I'll be alone for first semester, I liked the idea of a gated community better than a random apartment complex.  The rents weren't bad either, like $1100 for a huge one bedroom with a study or $1300-1400 for massive 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.

If you're interested, I can pass the websites of the places to you.  (although you can probably find something cheaper...)

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 02:22:04 PM »
Heee...I can tell you're definitely paying Boston rent right now ($1100 for a one bedroom is outrageous if you've been paying midwest rent for two years!).  Buuuut, I do like the idea of a gated community.  How far from the LS campus is it?  PM me the websites if you get a chance!

Will you have a car there?

Do you have a reason for moving there so early?  I'm trying to plan my moving date, and want to be able to have plenty of time to settle in, but I'm also going to try to work as much as possible leading up to the start of orientation activities at the end of the month.

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 01:15:17 PM »
bump
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA