Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory vs. GSU  (Read 2284 times)

phishie

• GPA: 3.26, LSAT: 158 (Info is on LSN)
    • View Profile
Emory vs. GSU
« on: March 18, 2005, 11:02:06 AM »
If you had the choice between Emory and Georgia State, which would you choose?

Given that I want to practice BIGLAW in Atlanta when I graduate and I have to pay for school myself.

GSU is a much better deal than Emory, but Emory ranks much higher.  I've heard from numerous people that getting a job in Atlanta with a big law firm is no problem if you graduate from GSU.  I've also heard that a lot of people are not happy with Emory because they think that they have to pay too much for their education.

Any thoughts?
Schools pending: Emory, Wake Forest

Schools accepted so far:  Miami, GSU

School(s) deferred:  UVA

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Emory vs. GSU
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 11:05:33 AM »
I'd look at the employment states from both schools.  Emory targets large law firms, and much of the focus in career services is geared towards that.  I was told that if I wanted a job in Atlanta, I'd have no problem, provided that I don't end up at the rock bottom of my class or something.

What are GSU's stats?  Talk to career services, and see if you can get breakdowns of what firms do OCI and where their grads end up.

vegannramember

• Sr. Citizen
  • going to fordham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 11:06:15 AM »
I'd look at the employment states from both schools.  Emory targets large law firms, and much of the focus in career services is geared towards that.  I was told that if I wanted a job in Atlanta, I'd have no problem, provided that I don't end up at the rock bottom of my class or something.

What are GSU's stats?  Talk to career services, and see if you can get breakdowns of what firms do OCI and where their grads end up.

philbert!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 11:10:43 AM »
I love Rocko and Heffer too! :D

michaelduke

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 11:17:56 AM »
I researched these two schools last year.  To be recruited by the big Atlanta firms as a GSU student, you will need very very good grades.  It is possible, but more difficult than Emory.  Also it is far easier for out-of-state placement purposes if you go to Emory.  But I do understand the financial concerns.  If I were you  I would go to GSU and work really hard. 

What about UGA???   

phishie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:23:19 AM »
That's what I was thinking...go to GSU and just bust my ass to get good grades.  It would totally pay off and then I would be saving at least 30K, if not more.  I've heard that all of the students that go to GSU really like it.  But I have heard negative things about Emory from some of the students...any thoughts on student satisfaction with the two schools?

the REAL desi

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 11:41:28 AM »
i'm at Emory and I would recommend it in a heartbeat over GSU because of job placement, facilities, distinguished faculty, and ability to travel with your degree outside of Atlanta.  the big law firms dig deeper at Emory than GSU, and you cannot go to any law school with the assumption that you will PWN the place

phishie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 01:45:22 PM »
That's a good point too...how do you like Emory?  Things you love about it...things you hate about it?

GoHuskies05

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 01:47:12 PM »
Eva,

I'm curious what the cutoff is for the top firms that interview at Emory?  Is there even a cutoff?  I also curious about how grades are released - class ranking??

Thanks

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 02:20:59 PM »
Is there an admitted students day for GSU?? I have been disappointed with the school so far....I get a letter almost weekly from Cumberland....they send out reminders for deposit dates, information about specific programs, etc.....but GSU hasn't sent me anything since the acceptance letter!
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!