Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Blow to the ego...Toledo  (Read 1571 times)

andrea612

• View Profile
Blow to the ego...Toledo
« on: March 18, 2005, 09:57:33 AM »
My first ding came as a bit of a surprise.  This just goes to show that you really can't rely on chiashu (it gave a 91.45% chance of being admitted).  I don't know what got me rejected...I had a 3.07/154 (150, 158), extracurriculars, 2 yrs WE in law firms, volunteer work, and strong LORs.  Maybe my personal statement wasn't as good as I thought it was or something.  I'm pretty disappointed, though, because I was really looking forward to the prospect of having in state tuition at Toledo although I'm a permanent resident of Michigan.  Oh well, not much I can do about it now.
Attending: Capital
Accepted:  Capital, CalWestern, Stetson PT
Waitlist, Accept: McGeorge
Waitlist:  Stetson FT(withdrew)
Pending:  Dayton
Rejects:  Toledo

Ladybuglaw05

• GPA: 3.21 LSAT: 156
    • View Profile
Re: Blow to the ego...Toledo
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 12:42:03 PM »
I feel your pain.  :( The letter came from Toledo yesterday and I am still in shock. I even had a chance to talk with two admissions people from Toledo back in November who basically said I would be in for sure, it was more of a question of wether or not I'd get $$$.  Luckily I recieved a decent scholarship from Capital, and Columbus is a much better city w/ a significantly stronger legal market.  A friend of mine works at a large firm in Columbus and she said that a HUGE portion of Toledo's grads apply to Columbus firms. Only those in the top 3-5 in their class are likely to get a position though, b/c Columbus firms have a strong preference for Capital and Ohio State grads. Where are you thinking of going now that Toledo's off the list?

andrea612

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 06:08:02 PM »
Well, now that I'm not in at Toledo, I think that I'll most likely go to Capital.  I lived in Columbus all throughout undergrad, and I loved it there.  I'm sending out the seat deposit tomorrow.  Do you think that you'll end up at Capital as well?

Ladybuglaw05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 11:51:47 PM »
I'm 99% sure that I'm Capital bound.  I also love the city & my best friend has a house there that I can move right into.  My other choices at this point are Cleveland State and Michigan State, so it really comes down to where I'd be the happiest during school, & where I want to practice after school. That being said I'll probably be sending out my deposit soon. Have you visited Capital yet? I've yet to tour the facilities. 
On another note, I am eager to see how Toledo's LSAT & GPA averages look for the actual entering class.  I can't imagine that they will improve too much from last year, so I really must wonder, why the rejection?

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 01:27:17 AM »
I, too, feel your pain.  I got dinged at Western New England with a Chiashu 94% chance.

andrea612

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 12:44:00 PM »
I haven't toured the facilities at Capital yet.  I used to work about two blocks away from the school, however, so I'm pretty familiar with the area directly around it.  I'm going to be in Columbus in about two weeks, so I'll probably check out the school then.

As for Toledo, I'm also pretty eager to see their LSAT and GPA averages for this fall's incoming class.  With your numbers, I'm really surprised that you got rejected.  I feel bad for complaining that I didn't get in when Chiashu gave me over a 91% chance of being admitted when you had just about a 98% chance of being admitted.  Maybe it was just a fluke or something, but maybe it was also for the best.  Columbus is a much better city than Toledo, and you're right...the job market there is also significantly better.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 02:13:05 AM »
I had never heard of Chiashu, just found it. I can't believe ya'll thought that might be anywhere near reliable. It was total BS - I got into all my schools but one, and some were supposedly 30% ish. If you want probability look at 25/75 GPA and LSAT not some frigin' crazy as$ little number cruncher that is using stats from 1996.

Ladybuglaw05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 10:53:39 PM »
The info on LSAC isn't all that helpful in determining acceptances either.  Based on the GPA/LSAT criteria in LSAC you're talking about I also had a 90% + chance of admittance to Toledo.  Most of the Chiashu %s were similar to LSAC, and neither did me a bit of good. I got a chance to talk with a 1L from Toledo that I knew from undergrad, and they too were surprised at the rejection, so like I said before... I can't wait to see their class profile for Fall 05, b/c my guess is that it won't change significantly from last years anyways. I've already heard of people with lower numbers than me who just got into Toledo, so I guess that they just didn't like me! I'm not good enough for Toledo  :'(. Oh well, I think I've been using discussion boards and admissions calculators to mask my insecurity stemming from the vulnerability I feel in this admissions process, but in the end we're all at the mercy of the mighty admissions boards :P, and whatever there final decrees may be.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 11:14:52 PM »
Go to MSU they are now a tier 3. I visited them and really liked the facility. I don't think Cleveland or Capital can compare with MSU, any specific queries about them let me know.

Ladybuglaw05

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 11:05:54 PM »
If it were not for the fact that tuition @ MSU is over 20k per year I would be attending, but w/out a scholarship the 1 tier difference just isn't worth it. Its too bad b/c I would've really liked to go to MSU, especially b/c I like their international law program.