Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Glbt  (Read 4081 times)

Rain

Glbt
« on: March 17, 2005, 07:06:31 PM »
Should I come out in my personal essay I've been hearing mixed reviews???

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Glbt
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 10:11:29 AM »
Should I come out in my personal essay I've been hearing mixed reviews???

My take on this is that if you have relevant work experience in the GLBT 'sector', by all means mention it and how it will help you succeed in law school. It should be apparent from your resume anyway. Just remember that you're applying to a professional degree program. Being gay definitely is NOT bad (except maybe at a few schools), but you need to be able to work it in a way that it seems relevant to law school, or else you run the risk of sounding tacky.

I'm not saying that the "here's how being gay has changed my life" PS can never work--I'm sure it can--I just think it tends to be nonresponsive to the real point, which is why you want to go to law school and why you know you will succeed.

Rain

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 04:16:23 PM »
Celark I was only referring to the admisson comm. I've been out since I was 18 (5yrs) Thanks the for advice

Thank you to Taterstol

cultleader

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 12:20:32 PM »
taterstol, are you a member of GLBT too?
Anyway I think you're a bit cute.. ;)

ormachea

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 03:23:04 PM »
I'm sure that at some law schools who pride themselves on diversity (cough, NYU, cough) will actually want you more.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 09:46:15 AM »
I'm sure that at some law schools who pride themselves on diversity (cough, NYU, cough) will actually want you more.

Are glbt folks really underrepresented at law school?  I would have thought not...

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:43:00 AM »
taterstol, are you a member of GLBT too?
Anyway I think you're a bit cute.. ;)

Haha. Thanks. And yeah, I'm in the club.

Are glbt folks really underrepresented at law school? I would have thought not...

5 out of 50 (men) in my section are gay. So not too underrepresented here. I don't know the percentage in the other sections though.

ormachea

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 01:24:04 PM »

Are glbt folks really underrepresented at law school?  I would have thought not...

I would say that they're not underrepresented probably because of the active role many law schools take in admitting or pursuing them.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 01:34:34 PM »
it really depends on the school.

also, i don't think, overall, law schools are that active in  recruiting or admitting glbt applicants.  at all of the schools i've visited, fewer than 10% (the proportion of glbt persons relative to the overall population if you believe the conventional wisdom) of the total student body were identified as glbt.

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 02:11:46 PM »

I would say that they're not underrepresented probably because of the active role many law schools take in admitting or pursuing them.

I doubt it. I don't think most gays in law school even made it apparent on their application.