Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston, Texas  (Read 4176 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: Houston, Texas
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 08:22:12 PM »
I didn't mean right near the school...just not across town. 
Attending: Texas

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 01:50:22 PM »
I would live near the school.  Houston traffic is bad.

Depends on what you're comparing it to.  It's NOTHING compared to southern California.

Deuces Take Em

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2005, 04:47:54 PM »
um, actually, Houston traffic is the worst in the United States.  the 59/610 interchange has for 3 years been rated the WORST, and the 610/10 interchange was #3.  SoCal got #2, but again, that's not the worst.

harwinbiatch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 04:57:08 PM »
houston traffic sucks bad, but la sucks even worse. imagine the katy freeway/i-10 at 6pm on mondays and it's like that all the time everyday on the 405.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 05:36:23 PM »
Assuming you're still on the ~$150K budget and you want a yard large enough to hold your two dogs and you aren't interested in living in a house with no paint, windows, or doors; you are going to nearly be forced to live outside of the loop (HWY610) and probably outside of the beltway (HWY8).  This means at least a 45 minute commute each way, every day, to the law center.  Basically, regardless of the neighborhood, inside the loop you can get 1500 square feet with no yard for ~$200K, outside the loop maybe and definately outside the beltway you can get 1500 square feet with a yard for ~$100K or your ~200K will get you near to 3000 square feet.  (now you see while some people say they can live the commute)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 06:31:28 PM »
Move to the Cy-Fair area.. the commute will be about 45 minutes but u can definitely get a nice sized brand new home and a nice sized back yrd for 150k.. you also won't have to worry about flooding
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 02:03:49 AM »
Are there any condos other than inside the inner loop? I really don't want a yard, but my only options right now are full sized homes with yards. What's up with that? Oh well, I suppose I'll find out this weekend. I'm slated to look at anywhere from 15 to 30 homes in the $115k to $135k range. I will post results when I get back.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 08:52:25 AM »
Are there any condos other than inside the inner loop? I really don't want a yard, but my only options right now are full sized homes with yards. What's up with that? Oh well, I suppose I'll find out this weekend. I'm slated to look at anywhere from 15 to 30 homes in the $115k to $135k range. I will post results when I get back.

You'll find condos everywhere without any problems.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2005, 12:57:50 AM »
I bought a house this weekend! It's on the border of Pearland and Houston in the no man's land of Harris County. Brand new community. All the areas are Brunswick something or another. It's off 288 and Beltway 8 exit Cullen & make a U-turn. Incredibly reasonably priced, it will be complete at the end of June. It's only 20 minutes from U of H but still very safe. Apparently it's the new hotspot for the new doctors and residents. Oh yeah, and it's not a floodzone. I'm so excited!

LaneSwerver

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2005, 08:40:47 AM »
I bought a house this weekend! It's on the border of Pearland and Houston in the no man's land of Harris County. Brand new community. All the areas are Brunswick something or another. It's off 288 and Beltway 8 exit Cullen & make a U-turn. Incredibly reasonably priced, it will be complete at the end of June. It's only 20 minutes from U of H but still very safe. Apparently it's the new hotspot for the new doctors and residents. Oh yeah, and it's not a floodzone. I'm so excited!

I know the area; I drive by it every day on the way to work. Not exactly the safest part of town, but certainly not the most dangerous, either. Congrats!