Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston, Texas  (Read 4175 times)

where2g0

Re: Houston, Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 11:29:05 AM »
Dont live in Katy, Sugarland, or anywhere out in that area (West of city).  The traffic is a complete nightmare.  Commuting from their to any of the three law schools in town will be enough to drive you insane.  If you have to live outside the loop, stick to Kingwood area, or maybe Champions area.  Highway 59 into the city fromt the North is usually never blocked.  45 South from The Woodlands is a parking lot any time of day.  If you can, and/or want, to live in the city, The Heights (which has now been renamed Rice Military) is great, Midtown is good but expensive, and Rice Village or West University is awesome, but expensive.

If you have never been to Houston, take a few days and visit and just explore.  Despite what soup nazi says, Houston is a Great city!!

golfergirl

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberwavesofgrain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 12:29:56 PM »
I have a group of friends that live in the Sugarland/Missouri City area...all 25-35yo somewhat newly married couples (8 couples), a few with kids, a few with big dogs...and here is what they tell me...

They all agree that they were able to get much more house, more yard, and just a better area by purchasing a home outside the loop.  Half of them work inside 610 (some in the downtown and some near the museum district)...and traffic is a problem, as it is from any 'burb, but they manage by leaving a little early etc..  They really like they have there own little world out in Sugarland...nice mall, restaurants, Barnes and Noble, and a Walgreens on every corner...also good schools, rec programs etc.  Keep in mind, that these are mostly people who grew up in smaller towns, so they love the convienance of suburbia. 

If you like being it the middle of the city, where there are more "cultural" opportunities, more single people...then you probably want to stay inside the loop...but be prepared to overpay for not much space.  Either way, Houston def can be a great place to live in...you just have to find an area that fits you best.

patrick2005

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 02:23:46 PM »
Take a look at this map during times you think you will be commuting: http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/traffic/traffic.mpl?inc=on. Its real time traffic and can give you a pretty good idea about how bad commutes will be.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 07:56:06 PM »
I relocated to Houston in July and I purchased a new home under 170k in Cy-Fair area... in traffic it will take about 40 minutes to get to U of H's law school.... But it's worth it...

My builder was Richmond American http://www.richmondamerican.com and they're all over the city.. David Weekly  and Perry Homes http://www.perryhomes.com are excellent builders as well.. In fact Perry has some nice town homes that are located about 15 minutes away from the law school...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 07:58:41 PM »
Another thing if you're looking for a loan officer than can get you an excellent deal on a home then let me know... she works with all types of credit, and recently found a colleague of mine an excellent deal in spite of her student loans..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 08:14:48 PM »
lol, not that rich. But my husband and I are looking for a house no more than $150,00 in a nice area. What is the best area in our budget?

Are you looking at new or used? Do you have kids? Is your relocation temporary or permanent?

I'm doing the same thing. However, being from CA I'm prepared to make quite a haul for a commute. Here's the list that people have suggested to me:

NOT Fresno or Missouri City

1st Choices: Near the Beltway, The Heights, Houston (Montrose, Midtown, Medical Center, Bellaire West(or something)

2nd Choices: Pearland, Sugarland, Stafford, Kingwood, Humble

3rd Choices: Katy, League City, Pasadena (but only near Fairmont Parkway)
[/quote/]

$150,000 in Houston will get you a nice house, particularly in the burbs.  A couple of comments on Scurvy's list:

--Keep in mind that parts of Houston have no zoning (Montrose is a good example).  Pay attention to what's around you in terms of potential development.
--Neighborhoods vary GREATLY in both the Heights and Montrose.  Make sure you hang around at night.
--Bellaire is really expensive.  I would be surprised if you can find a decent home for $150K.
--West University is even more expensive.
--The commute to UofH from Pearland isn't bad at all, especially since you don't have to take the 59.  Pearland is really varied.  Silverlake is nice, but that's another area where I would be surprised if you can find something for $150K.
--The local traffic in League City can be REALLY bad (and this comes from someone currently living in LA).  But it's a really nice area.
--I'm not a Pasadena fan.  I think you can get more bang for your buck, especially in terms of your home holding its value.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 05:27:40 PM »
still looking?

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 10:41:05 PM »
I would live near the school.  Houston traffic is bad.
Attending: Texas

Deuces Take Em

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2005, 11:23:51 PM »
Live inside the 610 loop if you get the chance, betweeen Downtown and the Galleria.  South of I10 is best, unless you're in the Heights.

Outside of the loop is okay if you're on the West side (and still inside 8), but other than that I don't think you can find a better place, especially if you're going to STLS or UHLS.  Oh, and DO NOT live near UH if that's where you plan on going to school. Live in the Heights.  UH is in 3rd?/4th? ward, and you will be living near pediphiles, drug dealers, and other criminals.  I used to live in a place just south of UH, and one just north of 45 from UH.  The Heights will serve you much better (if you can't afford Midtown or WestEnd)

Good luck, and God bless~!

where2g0

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 08:48:33 AM »
I would live near the school.  Houston traffic is bad.

The school is in the middle of the ghetto.  just across the  Scott Blvd is the worst part of Houston.  Live in Midtown, or Rice Village, Medical Center area.