Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT preparation  (Read 1224 times)

eggo125

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
LSAT preparation
« on: August 28, 2003, 12:05:14 PM »
I am currently studying for the December LSAT and looking at the Princeton review book. It is really confusing me and I'm not doing so well on the tests. I am planning to take the testmasters course next month, should I just forget about the princeton review and wait for testmasters and study my butt off??

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: LSAT preparation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 06:21:42 PM »
I heard statistically Princeton Reviewers median score increase is about 7 points.  However there is an exceptoin to every rule, so I wouldn't base your decision soely on that.  If PR isn't working (and I hear great things about testmasters and believe it or not Kaplan) then give that book up and take testmasters then study hard like you said. Bottom line, no matter what advertising ploys try and convince you otherwise, just follow your instincts.  I have heard and I fully support this: Just use whatever (or womever's)  strategies which best helps you understand the test and the problems, which ever YOU feel will best suit YOUR needs and aspirations of a good score.  Also important though is that you ALWAY use REAL LSAT's previously published and take the test under real conditions (by this I mean take a diagnotic --or preliminary test to see where you sit--  if possible Kaplan does offer free practice (diagnostic tests) LSAT's under real test restrictions I don't know about the others but I know at their centers they do. I hope this steers you in the right direction.  Just review with the material that you believ best helps you with your preperation. They (the prep courses) are all somewhat comprehensive and they all spout score gaurantees and con's of competitors just ignore all that stuff and just go with whom you think will best prepare you okay have fun study hard let me know if you have any other questions.  Hope this shed some light on the darkness of prep courses  ;D
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 09:21:07 AM »
What many people don't realize is that one storebought book is not enough to sufficiently prepare for the LSAT. Often students start off with purchasing one book and then work through that book and expect scores in the 170 range.

I remember, I bought the LSAT in 30 Days Book and then I was wondering why I was just not getting any better...duh!

What full length classes do is to provide you with materials and a study sequence. The course consists of explanations and of real LSAT questions and practice tests.

Mind you classes cost over $1,000 and you could do it in form of self study for about $200 or less, in terms of getting the materials.

If you feel that you really do not have the discipline or the ability to do a self study program, then take a class. Also, with a class you do get the opportunity to have somebody verbally explain the strategies versus just reading about them. If you are an auditory learner, then a class may help. However, you can accomplish the same thing with a study group.

If you are inclined to do your own prep, then the following books are a must:

1) Powerscore Logic Reasoning Bible
2) Powerscore Games Bible
3) NOVA Master the LSAT
4) LSAC Prep Guide (forget the name off hand, but you do not need that book until the end of your study)
5) Tests (there are 52 tests total, most people usually use about 20 tests)

You can purchase these books new or used. If you purchase them used, then you can save a bundle, go look on www.ebay.com, www.half.ebay.com and www.amazon.com or your local www.craigslist.org

Good luck. Just know that most people who do well on the test study consistently for four to six months. There are a few "rare" people who score high "naturally" without much study. If you are like most people, you will need to study and consistently prepare.

One of the reasons the students who take full length courses do well is because they do a lot of homework, usually 4 hours per class session, PLUS take additional practice tests at a rate of two per week.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 09:09:53 PM »
True...but you are the one who revived the thread...LOL... However, the information is still pertinent.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1