Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UT w/$ versus U Penn without  (Read 763 times)

worried

• View Profile
UT w/$ versus U Penn without
« on: March 16, 2005, 06:35:34 PM »
I would love some advice.  I am an in state Texas resident and am trying to choose between UT with a scholarship making the school around 20,000 a year versus U Penn more than likely at full cost (52,000).  I am not sure where I want to practice, but probably in the South.  What would you do?

UrbAnprOphEt1200

• View Profile
Re: UT w/$ versus U Penn without
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 06:45:49 PM »
I would like to hear other people's opinions on this too.  I'm in a similar situation with options of Duke with some money and Penn with none.  If it's any help I think that Penn students honestly love the place from what I've heard.

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 07:20:54 PM »
me three!  choosing between ut (in-state plus $5K per year) and michigan (with $15K total) and duke (with $25K total).

i'm going to be paying close attention to the alums at admit weekend to see how much a michigan degree is worth. 

fwiw, all of my attorneys have told me to go to michigan or duke since i don't want to work in texas ever.  do not pass go.  it is still a really tough decision though.

ccorsi

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 10:54:46 AM »
This is like asking, "Should I go out with the next door neighbor's cute sister or Heidi Klum?"

Seriously, this is not even something to think twice about.  Go to Penn.  Consider yourself lucky that the Gods smiled upon you and grab the gold ring.

Texas the world over is thought of as a football and party school.  It does not matter that it is also great academically that is how people think of it.  They don't see a difference between Oklahoma & Texas.

Penn is Ivy League and that impresses people.  Shallow people perhaps, but nonetheless it has that it factor.

C2

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 11:31:17 AM »
Texas the world over is thought of as a football and party school.  It does not matter that it is also great academically that is how people think of it.  They don't see a difference between Oklahoma & Texas.

Penn is Ivy League and that impresses people.  Shallow people perhaps, but nonetheless it has that it factor.

For undergrads, that is true to a degree, but anyone hiring for a firm of any worth knows well the difference between Texas and OU and knows of Texas' academic reputation.  However, if you try to get an accounting job at Joe's HVAC, then who knows...

The facts say very differently about those who hire lawyers, and how differently they see the schools.  Penn certainly is better regarded overall, but only about 4 spots differently by the people who will actually hire you when you graduate (check USNWR regarding reputation by lawyers and judges).

Penn is a great school, but when you add in interest, etc., that's a $100,000+ bet you're making, and not a lot of hard data to back up how good of a bet it is.

On the other hand, screw the research, go to Penn.  I would love to see more scholarship money freed up.   ;D

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 11:34:20 AM »
If you are going to practice in the South, I see no reason not to attend UT.  If you were practicing in the NE, I'd tell you to shell out the additional dough.

ccast

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 11:48:34 AM »
don't mean to hijack the thread but in the same vein...

UT with $$$ or Columbia with nada??  Want to practice in Texas but get the best clerkship I can out of school. any thoughts??

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 12:39:55 PM »
Oh, and to add on top of all of this, what type of law are you going to practice?  If you don't plant to do that BIGLAW thing, money might be even more of a factor.  Debt is going to limit your freedom in choosing a job.

Firms pay the same for a position regardless of your school.  If you don't think you will be in the top half at UT, you should consider Penn based on the 75/25 number.  If you graduate in the top 1/2 from either school, you're probably going to make the same salary, though getting interviews will be much easier on the East coast if you graduate from Penn, unddoubtedly.

Columbia has somewhat better name recognition (in my opinion)and placement stats.  That one is a bit harder I think, but I might be biased because I still have a longshot out at Columbia.  The same general logic applies, though.

lawsterino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 01:17:52 PM »
Take the money. If you factor the amount of savings into your career earnings, you will wind up ahead by taking the money now.

ccorsi

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 02:24:40 PM »
Well, all above make good points.  However, I'd still prefer Heide Klum :)

Good luck!

C2