Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: how to carry books without breaking my back  (Read 4073 times)

Ginatio

Re: how to carry books without breaking my back
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 01:46:56 PM »
rolling backpacks just aren't practical. first, you have the noise problem (as egfmba mentions), with the clackety clak clackety clak, and such. not only that, but if you have your laptop in it, all the bouncing might do some damage after awhile.

second, rolling backpacks look nerdy. let's face it, you may be past the "trying to be cute" phase in life, but jeebus... paying attention to style should never fade.

but also, how annoying is it going to be dragging that damn thing here and there with you? your walking speed will be severely limited by the rate at which those little roller balls can turn. annoying.

the biggest problem is dirt, though... can you imagine the *&^% that thing will pick when you're walking around outside, back and forth to school? not to mention the puddles you'll run into when it's raining... not to mention the snow you'll run into when the winter rolls around.

rollerpacks are stupid. move on.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 01:48:16 PM »
well... i MIGHT be kicking you... like i said, if you are bigger than me than its all good  ;D

eee... you will be kicking me

i am going for a rolling one. there are many stylish ones and to be honest its very standard in the business world. i am not kiling out my back for a damn sole, so past the trying to be cute stage and am into trying to be real.  back packs can kill and to me look even stupider when you have both straps on like you are going hiking or something. but who knows i will be parked on campus maybe i can jsut go to the car and change books. but frankly i don't give a hoot.

and the roller bags do have protective sleeves there are also threads on this on nontradlaw.net

jgruber

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 01:49:20 PM »
You're saying that it would be better to risk your back rather than risk looking like a nerd?

So, it is better to look good than to feel good.

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 01:55:59 PM »
You're saying that it would be better to risk your back rather than risk looking like a nerd?

To be fair, our backpacks were Targus, with heavily padded shoulder straps and a waist strap that helped to alleviate the pressure on our shoulders.  That being said, the damn things were still heavy (with an 8 lb. laptop, even without books they were heavy). 

It really doesn't matter what you get, though, because you'll likely end up carrying those rolling packs up and down staircases and carrying books from class to class, unless you go to a school like U of H where the profs come to you and you don't have to move a butt muscle all day if you don't want to.  Then it doesn't matter what you have, because you only have to get it to the classroom, and if you get to school early enough, you can park right up front!
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 02:13:45 PM »
simply put-  backpack or shoulder bag for law school?  or what?

mailtime

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 02:15:48 PM »

are you from Mars or Pluto?

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 02:18:13 PM »
I'm from the planet where people don't give a damn what other think. 

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2004, 02:23:53 PM »
I'm from the planet where people don't give a damn what other think. 

Oh...Earth. ;)

mailtime

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2004, 02:23:57 PM »
great

jgruber

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004, 02:25:21 PM »
I thought it was funny that so many posters who display 'tude would worry about other people thinking that they are nerds. 

Think for yourself, yes, no?