Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: how to carry books without breaking my back  (Read 4113 times)

GenHawk

• View Profile
Re: how to carry books without breaking my back
« on: May 31, 2004, 09:01:02 PM »
An answer that I didn't see.... copy the cases as-needed out of the casebooks and leave them at home. Then you can sell your unmarked book afterward.

Gen

Iamspartacus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 11:31:48 PM »
OK I'm a new guy here, but a veteran on other boards. I've heard some folks take their casebooks to Kinko's and get them unbound and rebound in thirds. That way they take only a third of their casebook to class. It costs maybe $5 but can alleviate some back troubles. If you want a more thorough explanation then go to nontradlaw.com and search Kinko's.

As for me, I plan on using my Kelty internal frame pack. Its 2900 cu.in and kinda big, but we'll see how it works out.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 12:51:12 AM »
OK I'm a new guy here, but a veteran on other boards. I've heard some folks take their casebooks to Kinko's and get them unbound and rebound in thirds. That way they take only a third of their casebook to class. It costs maybe $5 but can alleviate some back troubles. If you want a more thorough explanation then go to nontradlaw.com and search Kinko's.

As for me, I plan on using my Kelty internal frame pack. Its 2900 cu.in and kinda big, but we'll see how it works out.
That sounds like a great idea.

ElysiaCerise

• From PSU to UMarlyandSL!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LawPrncess3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 07:55:59 PM »
Maybe it's just because I'm blonde... but really... how many books do you actaully carry to class??  For undergrad mebbe one book per class... I know law school books are big and heavy... but deserving of a back-pack on wheels... oh my god!

I've been looking at bags now assuming I'll bring a legal pad, my notebook pc, and one text to class with me (my school has lockers and my apt is across the street)... I can find stylish stuff, but it's all so huge.  And standing at about 5'2" I look stupid carrying this huge bag... any advice??

~E
Heading to Baltimore in August...

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 08:09:21 PM »
I wonder how a rolling bag would work if you bike to school?

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 09:00:06 AM »
The whole rolling bag thing sounds pretty lame.  Plus, you'll probably want to make sure you get a backpack with a laptop sleeve in it for protection and I don't know how many of those rolling backpacks have that.  At least where I'm going, lockers are only for commuting students, so that might not help much (unless you're a commuter).  I just signed up for university housing right next door to the law building to solve the whole book problem  :P

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 06:46:31 PM »
im going to kick the crap out of any person i see in law school with a rolling backpack...

unless they are bigger than me or more popular than me... then i will tell them that they look damn good with their rolling backpacks. i might even buy one myself.

or if they are hot (girls, not guys).

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 06:42:08 PM »
Use a locker dude.
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

nachosauce

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 12:56:46 PM »
eee... you will be kicking me

i am going for a rolling one. there are many stylish ones and to be honest its very standard in the business world. i am not kiling out my back for a damn sole, so past the trying to be cute stage and am into trying to be real.  back packs can kill and to me look even stupider when you have both straps on like you are going hiking or something. but who knows i will be parked on campus maybe i can jsut go to the car and change books. but frankly i don't give a hoot.

and the roller bags do have protective sleeves there are also threads on this on nontradlaw.net

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 01:38:52 PM »
i don't think anyone is going to care if you have the rolling backpack or not.  it's not highschool. 

Okay, I just have a little story about this:

In b-school, the 2nd yrs had been given these huge backpacks that hold your laptop and several huge books, but were heavy as hell.  The 1st yrs, OTOH, got these nice, slim computer bags and were told to buy whatever lightweight backpack they'd like to carry around their books with the theory being that it's easier on the back.

Well, the 1st yrs went out and bought those rolling cases, which clacked so much on the tile floor that all the 2nd yrs made fun of them all day long.  It was extremely annoying during exams to hear a 1st yr clacking down the hall, and any 2nd yr that bought a rolling case was immediately derided (not that many of them did).

Tell me that's not high school.  ;)

Of course, I'm sure ls students are much more mature, as evidenced on this and other boards  ;D
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie