Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OH NO!!!!! Totally forgot about this ticket, what should I do???  (Read 804 times)

urgraduate

• View Profile
    • Email
Honestly, I totally forgot.  About a year ago I got a ticket for running a red light.  I haven't disclosed this to any of the schools that I've applied to because it didn't come to mind.

What should I do???  Is this going to affect me come time to take the bar??

Oh, I can't remember the exact price of the ticket but I'll guess about $130

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Re: OH NO!!!!! Totally forgot about this ticket, what should I do???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 02:52:16 PM »
Most law schools do not care about traffic violations.  Some schools, like Washinton and Lee want every thing, even traffic court issues.  I wouldn't worry, its just a traffic ticket.  But go back and check your apps to see if they care about traffic tickets, and if they do send a letter explaining it.

urgraduate

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 02:57:36 PM »
Most law schools do not care about traffic violations.  Some schools, like Washinton and Lee want every thing, even traffic court issues.  I wouldn't worry, its just a traffic ticket.  But go back and check your apps to see if they care about traffic tickets, and if they do send a letter explaining it.

I thought any type of moving violation had to be reported, especially if over $100

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 02:58:56 PM »
Honestly, I totally forgot.  About a year ago I got a ticket for running a red light.  I haven't disclosed this to any of the schools that I've applied to because it didn't come to mind.

What should I do???  Is this going to affect me come time to take the bar??

Oh, I can't remember the exact price of the ticket but I'll guess about $130

Just call them and ask them if they need the info. I forgot about a res. life violation and it wasn't a big deal.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 03:23:30 PM »
This comes from Syracuse University application.  I called them and asked them to check.

Have you ever been arrested, charged with, convicted of, plead guilty to, or are you currently under indictment for any violation of law other than minor traffic violations? Note: Although a conviction may have been expunged from your record by an order of the court, it nevertheless should be disclosed in answer to this question. Misrepresentation may result in administrative sanctions.Refer to the certification statement in the catalog.

They told me traffic court was not important to them, unless it was a DUI.  Otherwise, traffic violations were okay. 

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 03:25:48 PM »
But as i said, some schools care.  Washington and Lee and Wake Forest do.  So just call and ask them.  I wouldn't worry, people get traffic violations.  Its the DUIs, DWIs and juries being called on that they care about, but be honest.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 03:39:22 PM »
This is the deal at most schools:  If you didn't tell them and already got in, they will let you amend your application to include it.  Unless you are a felon, it won't cause them to WD accpetance. 

If you aren't in yet, send a letter explaining the omission today.  It's not that those violations matter or don't matter, you should err on the side of total disclosure.

If you don't, you will have issues when you apply to the bar.

This isn't a huge deal unless you sit there and do nothing about it.

One of the lawyers here forgot a ticket and when he applied to the bar, they found it.  He had to amend his bar stuff AND his LS application before they would admit him.  A big pain in the neck!

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 06:48:28 PM »
Remember you signed the application stated that the to the best of your knowledge it was correct.  So don't worry about anything being recinded or the decision making process being altered.  You will be okay.  Take the advice to amend it, but ignorance is okay in this situation.  As the previous person accounted, the BAR may cause a hassle, but they won't disallow you from joining.  Remember you never were dishonest because to the best of your knowledge you were honest.

Stacers117

• AOL Instant Messenger - Stacers117
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 08:00:24 PM »
I just got a ticket for running a red light about a week ago too! So that is not on any of my apps, but I don't think it matters because 1 it was silly, and 2. it was after I applied. The cop brought it down to not obeying a traffic control device rather than running a red light. It was a total accident and I got confused and tried to stop and then thought i didnt have enough time so tried to go and then light turned when i was under it. Awful luck, especially since i never run reds. Now if it were a speeding ticket, that would be a different story...