Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Death for Scott Peterson  (Read 985 times)

LaneSwerver

bradzwest

Re: Death for Scott Peterson
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 03:09:10 PM »
in 20 years or so...

prospect

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:29:08 PM »
None of that dilly-dallying in Texas.  They'd be warming up Ol' Sparky as we speak.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 03:34:23 PM »
Yes there are 640 folks ahead of Scott for D-day.
In California, this is more of a gesture.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

JonR0921

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 09:44:47 AM »
And it's a sad gesture.  The evidence used to convict him was circumstantial, and while I don't think a murder conviction should be based on circumstantial evidence, and while I am 100% against the death penalty, if it must be used, I certainly don't think a death sentence should be imposed based on this type of evidence.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 10:06:14 AM »
I'm still mad that OJ isn't ahead of Scott.  Those 2 coulda had some good clean fun together on death row.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 11:47:49 AM »
Jon I actually attended the Peterson trial. I initially had an open mind about whether or not he did it, however at this point I am completely certain he is guilty.
Now, I am against the death penalty so I have no interest in seeing Scott euthanized. BUT I have no doubts the jurors convicted the right man.

Xony -- I tell you that "real killer" sure is causing a lot of trouble, first OJ's wife, then Scott Peterson's wife and Robert Blake's wife.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 02:48:09 PM »
Jon I actually attended the Peterson trial. I initially had an open mind about whether or not he did it, however at this point I am completely certain he is guilty.
Now, I am against the death penalty so I have no interest in seeing Scott euthanized. BUT I have no doubts the jurors convicted the right man.

Xony -- I tell you that "real killer" sure is causing a lot of trouble, first OJ's wife, then Scott Peterson's wife and Robert Blake's wife.

What convinced you?

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 03:41:58 PM »
What convinced me was the Amber Frey testimony.
It was not just the fact that he was cheating, it was his manner, his behavior and attitude about his missing wife.
I heard the tapes and read the transcripts. The fact that he was completely detached from Laci and the baby ... He said things like "Laci and HER baby" or "Laci and THE baby."
He never acknowledged the baby as his. For God's sake he
was on his way to the volunteer center to "look" for Laci but decided to pull over for an hour and talk to Amber.
It seemed to me he was in no hurry to find her because he knew where she was.

And frankly his courtroom behavior was very odd as well, smiling, joking ...?
I am no psychiatrist, but he strikes me as a sociopath who has no geniune human emotions.

-TMcGraw

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 06:31:19 PM »
What convinced me was the Amber Frey testimony.
It was not just the fact that he was cheating, it was his manner, his behavior and attitude about his missing wife.
I heard the tapes and read the transcripts. The fact that he was completely detached from Laci and the baby ... He said things like "Laci and HER baby" or "Laci and THE baby."
He never acknowledged the baby as his. For God's sake he
was on his way to the volunteer center to "look" for Laci but decided to pull over for an hour and talk to Amber.
It seemed to me he was in no hurry to find her because he knew where she was.

And frankly his courtroom behavior was very odd as well, smiling, joking ...?
I am no psychiatrist, but he strikes me as a sociopath who has no geniune human emotions.

Very interesting.  All that stuff about his character makes sense, and it certainly makes it very plausible that he killed her.  Without any hard evidence, I was just a bit surprised that he was convicted and sentenced to death.  Does motive + opportunity + demeanor of a criminal = proof beyond a reasonable doubt?  Or do you think the jury relied upon a very strong feeling based on intuition?