Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT  Prep Courses  (Read 7955 times)

naticatlaw

LSAT  Prep Courses
« on: October 16, 2001, 11:40:46 AM »
Does anyone have any idea what prep course is the best? Princeton Review? Kaplan? etc... :-/

Kevin Song

Re: LSAT  Prep Courses
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2002, 03:02:58 PM »
You should look into TestMasters. They offer many more hours than Princeton and Kaplan and they also have better teachers. Most of the people I know took it with them and had nothing but rave reviews.  :)

steve

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2002, 10:33:40 AM »
I've done an extensive amount of research on what prep course I should take, and I concluded that Testmasters is the best.  They give you 80 hours of prep, compared to 25 from Kaplan and 16 from Princeton review.  Testmasters is, however, one of the most expensive services because they use actual LSAT questions, and have to pay steep licensing fees.  This is towards your benefit because Kaplan and Princeton Review don't use actual LSAT questions--instead they try to get you to think in a certain way that "parallels" the thinking you should have when answering LSAT question.      
    I think Kaplan's and Princeton's approach does nothing but confuse you.  Plus, at Kaplan they don't guarantee improving your school by a tremendous amount.  A friend told me that at Kaplan he was told he could only improve his score by 6 points.  When he attended testmasters, he improved by 13 points.  I read about one testmasters student who improved by 33 points!  
   Good luck deciding on how to prepare, but definitely consider testmasters!  Also, sign up for the course over private tutoring--you'll learn a hell of a lot more that way!

Mr. Biggs

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 09:09:05 AM »
Folks, don't waste your time!  LSAT prep coarses are a big hoax.  Look, you all want to be lawyers right?  I'm sure you all know someone who has been in your situation (desperate to attend law school) before.  I found that the best way to prepare is to go over it with a friend.  I took a course from a company that shall remain nameless...And found it to be a complete and utter waste of time!  Firstly, the instructors aren't LSAT designers or scholars of any sort.  Rather, they are people who simply scored high on the test.  Granted , if you did well on the LSAT it shows that you understand the logic, but that doesn't mean that you are capable of teaching.  I had the ultimate meathead running my course.  This so-called "Instructor" was a 2nd-year law student, barely older than his students.  He was late, disorganized and was unavailable for extra help.  The company that I took my course through guaranteed you unlimited extra "one-on-one" time with your instructor.  Well, my guy stood me up twice.  When I complained, the dicked me around and gave me all this refresher course material.  It was a circus.

Look y'all, if you feel that taking the course is gonna make you perform better, than go ahead and spend the loot.  However, just listen to me when I tell you that it doesn't matter.  I think the prep courses "sell" a false sense of security.  Just because you take an LSAT prep course, doesn't mean your gonna do well on the test, let alone get into your law school of choice.

If you want my advice (and given that you've read this far you do), go out and purchase the LSAT strategy books.  If there is a positive thing I can say about these prep companies it's that the books are solid.  However, do not depend on their "mock" LSATs.  From here, go and order about 10 tests from LSAC.  These tests are authentic...tha real deal (like Evander!).  Use'em they are the best prep you got.  If you have questions, that's when your law school mentor can help.  If you can't find a friend, go to the law school and speak to the admission Director.  They should be able to find you someone who is willing to help you out.  From there it's butter.

I'm ghost.  Good luck..and remember, it's not the end of the world.  If you want it bad enough you'll get it.

Peace.

:-*

Tyler

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2002, 09:01:59 AM »
I heard TestMasters is only good if you live in California.  Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?  I was looking into taking TM in Gainesville (Univ of Florida).  

Thanks

jesdurst

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2002, 05:06:13 AM »
Don't you love it when a guy who work for thecompany posts his advertising on the discussion board?  Come on, do you think we're that dumb?  The other post is right about Testmasters being no good outside of Los Angeles.  It looks like that is where they are based so all their good teachers are there, I heard from someone in San Fransisco who took the class that the teacher was a tool. (can I say 'tool' on a board?) I also looked over their testimonials, and probably 80% were from students in LA.  I think that if youre good at standardized tests you don't need a prep course, just some books.  I found that the Barrons and REA books are no good.  the Master teh LSAT book gets good reviews on Amazon.  The offical prep tests are a given, but they don't have any explanation, so you have to figure it out for yourself which is a ton of work.::)

Marie Gaspard

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2002, 06:14:19 AM »
I also think that the prep tests are a waste of money.  I used Master the LSAT, as well as Peterson's book to prepare.  I also used the official tests from LSAC and took all the tests.  I scored 161 on the June LSAT (my practice tests were 160 to 163).  I think using the official tests helps you get used to them and not get overly anxious on test day.  I don't feel that my score improved much from the first practice test I took before any preparation (I had 156).  In response to the other post, LSAC does have official tests with explanations.  Anyway, whether you take the prep class or do it on your own, the key is to spend a lot of time practicing.  Good luck!

Susanna

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2002, 09:28:10 AM »
Yeah, some of those "wahoo, Testmasters!" posts do sound kind of contrived, don't they? I have no experience with them, so I can't comment on them with any degree of authority, but I am very familiar with the Princeton Review and think they're excellent.

Some people can do well enough studying on their own, but others (like me) may need the discipline of a course, and extra help if it's needed. It sucks that the one person who was stood up twice got screwed - I'd be screaming for a refund. That's not the norm, though.

A LOT of people bomb the LSAT the first time, then take a course, and do a lot better. If you don't do well in practice tests, than a course could be useful, or a tutor if there's only one area that you're having trouble in. You get a lot of homework in the course, but augmenting it with 10 Real LSATs is a great idea, best of both worlds. Get a REALLY good feel of how you're doing in practice before taking the actual test, because most schools average your scores, so if you do bomb it and retake, you'll have to really nail it the second time to raise the average.

Just my 2 cents...

Joe

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2002, 02:21:28 AM »
I studied for a week (took an LSAT a day) and got a 178.  No previous studying, no course.  The only thing I can imagine a course would do is to help the really nervous.

Sean

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 10:37:44 AM »
Hello!
I would appreciate it if I can get some feedback from someone on the best possible test prep.I heard that Testmasters have a weekend seminar at 16 hours for about $400, has anyone taken it and if so, can you tell me about it please!
Thank you so much!
Sean