Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My impressions of Seton Hall, Cardozo, Fordham, and UConn  (Read 3540 times)

kristay

My impressions of Seton Hall, Cardozo, Fordham, and UConn
« on: March 16, 2005, 04:29:01 AM »
Over the past few days I visited Seton Hall, Cardozo, Fordham, and UConn.  Here are my impressions/reviews of the schools:

Seton Hall

I have to say that I was the most impressed by Seton Hall.  The girl who gave us the tour of the school (Bridget) was very nice and helpful.  She answered all of our questions and was very friendly.  The law school itself looks beautiful.  The building is huge, but I think that only the first six or seven floors belong to Seton Hall's law school.  It is very clean with lots of open space.  There is a ton of sunlight in the building as it is very open and when you stand in the lobby and look up, you can see the sky.  I really liked how much light there was there.  Their library looked nice (three floors), with lots of sunlight streaming in.

I sat in on a civil procedure class while I was at Seton Hall.  The professor seemed laid-back and is also nice (I'd met him before).  He picked me (and Matokah) up from the admissions office after our tour and walked us to his classroom. 

After the class, we met up with Bridget again and she showed us her apartment which is really cloe to the law school.  I think it is about 3 blocks away and most of the people who live there are also law students.  They are 1 or 2 bedroom apartments and look very nice!  They were larger than I expected, especially for the prices. (I think 1 bedrooms are around $1075 and doubles around $1500).  Maybe I'm just too used to California housing prices, but I think the housing there is a great price considering what you get.  There is security at the apartment complex, everything is very clean and the lobby smells great.  I could definitely see myself being very happy living there!

It's really close to Newark Penn Station and only a 15-20 minute train ride into NYC Penn Station.  Although I would prefer to live directly in the city, I have to admit that that train ride is not bad at all so I would hopefully be able to wander into the city on occassion.

I really don't have anything negative to say about Seton Hall.  In all honesty, I was hoping not to like so that I could turn down the scholarship they offered me and go to Fordham.  However, Seton Hall is definitely my favorite out of all the law schools I visited this past week and I am undecided as to whether I will go there or Fordham. 

Cardozo

I was surprised that the building wasn't nicer considering they've just spent five years renovating the place.  It was hard to get a really good impression of the school since it was out for spring break.  Their library is three floors.  Their law building is 11 floors.  I wasn't particularly impressed with the facilities at Cardozo.  The entire tour took maybe 20-25 minutes.

Fordham

I love the area that Fordham is in.  I am definitely a city girl and would love to live near the Lincoln Center!  For me, I couldn't find a school in a better location...I love that it is in the middle of NYC. 

Although I have heard a lot of complaints about Fordham's law building, I didn't really see anything wrong with it.  It looked exactly like my English department's building in college.  Unfortunately, I did not get to sit in on a class as the one that I had signed up to sit in on was having a midterm.  But the students seemed friendly and nice.  The security guard at the entrance was not so nice...she really didn't want to let me into the building and was freaking out about it, but everything was fine once I went upstairs. :P

I feel like Fordham is the school I should go to.  It has the perfect location for me and has a better reputation than most of the other schools I have gotten into.  Many, many people (both friends and strangers) have basically told me that there is no question about it and that I should go to Fordham.  It's just so hard when I loved Seton Hall so much. 

UConn

UConn has a GORGEOUS campus.  While Seton Hall had a very nice building, UConn's law school actually had a campus.  With more than one building. :)  The buildings themselves were very nice.  I might try to post some pictures at some point, but since I just got back from the airport tonight, I'm too tired and too lazy to do it right now.

The reading room (I think that's what it was called...I could be totally wrong) seemed very cozy.  I sat in one of the windows and watched snow fall.  (I'm from California and had never seen snow fall until my visit to Connnecticut.  It completely mesmerized me!  Snowflakes are beautiful! :))

There are also quite a few museums close by (Mark Twain, Harriet Beecher Stowe).

Anyway, I think that's basically it.  I'm too tired to write anymore...the plane ride was long, and I think I'm still on East Coast time. 

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My impressions of Seton Hall, Cardozo, Fordham, and UConn
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »
Please please please post pictures of UCONN! I can't wait to go there and check it out for myself. Did you talk to any professors or students while there? Oh, and stop saying good things about Seton Hall! I'm sending in my "rejection" today and I don't want to keep second guessing myself  ;)

jax327

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 09:06:38 AM »
I agree about the Fordham facilities.  If you look around the boards you would think it was the worst place ever, but I didn't find anything wrong with it at all.  The little courtyard area was cute, and I thought that although the building was not new, it wasn't terribly decrepit either.  The main classroom buildings at Duke (ugrad) were definitely worse than FLS. 

Noah

• AOL Instant Messenger - noahisananimal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 10:13:02 AM »
I love Fordham's location as well.  Even though as a young person I should probably be more drawn to the village, there's just something about Lincoln Center and its immediate surroundings that's irresistable.

I heard they're going to completely renovate the entire Fordham Lincoln center campus though.  While that's good for students ten years down the road, it would suck for the ones who'll be there for the next three years. 

The elevators at Cardozo are a joke.  If you don't like climbing stairs, it's not a very good choice.  I for one am looking forward to the workout.  If I'm too busy to go running sometimes, it won't matter as much.

kristay

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 12:46:03 PM »
Nerf, i got your PM and sent you one back.  Unless someone can teach me how to post pictures on LSD, I'll have to send them through e-mail.  It really is a gorgeous campus and I would imagine that you'll like it a lot when you visit!  I did get to talk to professors and students there.  I didn't get to talk to any 1Ls (the school was getting out for spring break), but I ran into some upper classmen.  They were not exactly the most friendly, but I might have caught them at bad times (I mean, who really wants to be on campus the day before spring break starts?).  The professors and faculty were wonderful, though.  They took the time to answer my quetions and were generally helpful and nice.  Oha, and BTW, I really didn't want to like Seton Hall!  :P  Honestly...

Noah, yes, their elevators are a joke.  Not to mention that they smell a little weird...they had this metallic chemical smell. :(

kristay

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 02:04:21 PM »
Okay, I still can't figure out how to post pictures, but at Nerf's suggestion, I'll post the link to some online albums.  Just a note: I didn't take any of Cardozo.  Also, I seemed to be more fascinated by the snow than the campus at UConn so I took more pics of the snow/snow falling/snow covered objects than the buildings (which I did not put into these online albums).  UConn11 is actually a pic where I was just capturing snowfall, but the building behind the tree is the library (where they're doing some renovations)...you can't really see it very well, though.  Also, I didn't really take many indoor pics b/c I didn't want to disturb anyone.  Anyway, here they are:

UConn: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeNMXLRw1cU&open=1&x=1&sm=1&sl=0

Fordham: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeNMXLRw1c2&open=1&x=1&sm=1&sl=0

Seton Hall: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeNMXLRw1cn&open=1&x=1&sm=1&sl=0

JasonJD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 01:09:38 AM »
The snow might seem nice now, but you'll be sick of it after spending one winter in Hartford *shudders*

kristay

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 01:14:22 AM »
Well, I'm pretty set on going east, so I'll have to deal with it.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 02:23:16 AM »
What kristay said above.  Very much correct for Cardozo and Seton Hall (the two schools we visited together thus far).

While kristay's reviews are a lot more informative, I managed to upload a few pictures and talk about my personal pro's and cons to each school I've recently visited.

You can find them at http://layla.nu (and click on the "Law School" link on the right hand table for more pictures, reviews, and random thoughts).

kristay: *poke*.  See you tomorrow. :)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 09:06:29 AM »
Matokah and Krista - Thanks to both of you for posting reviews and pics. You've helped out a lot of us. Hopefully I'll be able to share some pics and info after I come back from my trip up north.